Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Donny's a What???




Last night as I was channel surfing, I stumbled across Larry King interviewing Donny and Marie Osmond. I hadn't seen them in years, though somehow I had accumlated various and sundry information about their lives. Talk show hosts, game show hosts, Vegas gigs, Broadway shows, Marie's post-partum depression meltdown, Donny's stint as "Don", the death of Mrs. Osmond... and of course the Osmond Family takeover of Brandon Missouri.


Oh my God! Where does all this useless information derive from? How does it manage to settle into my cerebellum, in a place that is easily retrievable when I can't even remember to pack my own lunch everyday? Yes, I am a font of useless information ..... a good partner for Trivial Pursuit that's for sure. And, since I'm a glutton for fresh useless information, I stopped channel surfing and watched the interview.


Donny Osmond.......... yeah, I hesitate to admit it, but I was a big fan when I was 12 years old.......... and he was 12 years old. Crooner of Puppy Love and Go Away Little Girl, Mr. Fresh face, gleaming white teeth, big brown eyes guy, who graced every cover of every Teen magazine when I was young, made my heart throb way back when. In fact, his was the first concert that I attended, along with 10,000 other screaming little girls. I had every album, watch every TV special............. I never missed an Andy Williams show when the Osmonds were on. He electrified my 12 year old heart.

And, last night................. Donny gave me another electric jolt...... not through my heart. The shock struck me in the head, when he began talking about his grandson! What? Donny Osmond is a GRANDFATHER? He's the same age as me................how can that be???? How can he be old enough to have adult children?

Jolted into reality...................... time has marched on ......

It's funny how the most bizarre things can send a jolt of reality to make you acknowledge that though you may act like a 20 year old, and you may think like a 20 year old................. you are in actuality middle aged? Nah!


1 comment:

Michael K. Althouse said...

Ya, but remember... he's got like 25 kids!! I'm sure some of his kids are still kids!
;-')

~Mike