Wednesday, March 25, 2009

sadness



Not too far from where I live is the village of Ripples, New Brunswick. It consists of one main road basically, the hub being a gas station/convenience store. Many of the families who live in the homes have deep roots to the area. Many are related by blood. All of them are related by the mere fact that they live in this village. Their roots and history braid them together. Like most rural hamlets, the sense of belonging is strong as is the responsibility for looking out and caring for neighbours. Children who grow up in places like Ripples know someone has an eye on them..... There is truth in the saying....."it takes a village to raise a child..."
One of their children died over the weekend. Trooper Corey Joseph Hayes, aged 22, along with three other Canadian soldiers were killed in action in Afghanistan. Like many human beings in the Canadian Forces, he grew up surrounded by a familial history of military life and chose to continue the tradition. May their remembrances filled with stories of Corey nurture them as they mourn their loss. And may the village of Ripples know that we all mourn with you.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

He was 22, but he was a soldier Dana ....

I feel for his mother...

awareness said...

who chose to live his ideals....and those of his family. I feel for all of them, and admire the fact that he chose to live up to what he believed despite my own beliefs.

Independent Chick said...

My Mom's family is from Minto. It is a great loss. Every loss of life over there is a loss to someone who loved them. They are there fighting for what they believe... Soldier, 22, makes no difference. Rest in peace Corey. And thank you.

awareness said...

Our Armed Forces is made up of human beings who are mostly from small towns and villages and predominantly from the Maritimes so the loss as well as the pride is in the very fabric of where we call home, don't you think Stacey?

BlazngScarlet said...

Such a waste ....

Thank you Corey.

Independent Chick said...

I absolutely agree! When there is a loss we all feel it even if we don't know the person. That is what is so great about where we live; the bond, the pride.

Walker said...

I heard that while I was writing an email to Fox News.
Sometimes I wonder why we have to send those sworn to protect us to far off lands to be killed for someone elses trouble.
Ah yes, we are Canadians and we fight for people to live free.
I wish more people understood that.

I feel for their families and grieve with them in their loss

awareness said...

Scarlet....sad, and hopefully his family can find some solace in the fact that he was living his values and making a difference to the people of Afghanistan who have lived under the violent oppression of the Taliban.

Stacey...So many links between people....I have had three emails forwarded to me from people who knew Corey and his family with several stories about him. I can't imagine this happens anywhere else.

Walker....I agree with you. When I think about the women and girls in this country who have been mistreated and kept away from schooling, work etc....who have had to endure such violent abuse, humanity can't ignore that.

Mark said...

Such seemingly senseless deaths, I know they will be missed deeply.