Monday, September 24, 2007

Autumn at the Market.

Apple season is upon us........it always accompanies chillier mornings with the presence of fog over the river and dense dew on the lawns. Last Saturday, I took some pictures at my local market. It's my favourite time of year.........bountiful, colourful harvest time where abundance is all around. It's the perfect time to be buying locally, supporting your neighbours who have spent many back breaking hours working the soil, nurturing their produce.

It always amazes me just how colourful and alive this time of year is......like a burst of vibrant life before the onset of hibernation. Fall Mums grace many front porches in my neighbourhood.....one last breath of fresh flowers before the frost appears on the pumpkins.



Gourds? Eccentric, odd............misfits........what are they all about? Their shapes in variations of orange and green and white intrigue me. I guess I can relate to them on some weird level. Always a conversation piece.........which makes them good for somethin'


Peppers...........in multi hues of red and purple and yellow and green........uniquely shaped crisp and tasty peppers. I look at them and want to run home to make a huge batch of chutney.....or a stir fry...........or maybe just bite into one like an apple. Beautiful they are.

Fancy cauliflower........do you think because it's dressed in purple instead of the regular white that it will be received by the fussy kiddies more readily? Nah.........


Yes, it's harvest time at the market...and I'm taking it all in.........

7 comments:

Dustin said...

Those are some beautiful pictures...and vegetables too :)

Anna said...

I am SO ready for fall now! I love these...that apples are great!

BreadBox said...

I always enjoy your posts and photographs. And so often you have something worth reading: you deserve an award for it. In fact, I think that I'll nominate you for one.


N.

awareness said...

A little flurry of comments! What a treat......just before I shut down for the evening.

Dustin...are the colours amazing? I went a little crazy taking the photos. I'm sure the farmers thought I had lost a few marbles.

Anna.....good to see/read you again!! YOu've been busy moving etc...hope you're all settled in your new home. I'm so glad you saw the apple pic. I thought of you when I took it.......your photos are so marvellous....and this one I was proud of. I think it's one of my favs this summer.

Breadbox...thank you......a nomination! How nice!

Matthew said...

Great pictures of bountiful nature. It made me think of the eating regime that calls for eating all of the colors of the rainbow. You'd have no problem fulfilling that requirement at this market!

awareness said...

That sounds like a great eating regime. The market at this time of year blows me away.....the colour is spectacular!

eleKtrofly said...

yuum! such beautiful produce!