Tuesday, April 17, 2007

like a river

View from Springhill Road, Saturday at dusk
Calm before the storm




Love is flowing like a river,

Flowing out from you and me.

Flowing out into the desert,

Setting all the captives free.


Peace is flowing like a river,

Flowing out from you and me.

Flowing out into the desert,

Setting all the captives free.


Joy is flowing like a river,

Flowing out from you and me.

Flowing out into the desert,

Setting all the captives free.


Days when words fall short, we should let hymns speak for us. I heard this hymn sung in the background of a news story about a church service which happens once a month in the town of Oromocto New Brunswick where Canada's largest armed forces based is located. Last Wednesday evening over 100 people gathered for a service to sing and to pray.........to share and to gather strength........and to collectively send it to their friends and family members who are deployed. The service also allowed the first opportunity for some to come together after the 6 soldiers were killed. 2 more New Brunswick soldiers were killed that day too, though the news hadn't been announced yet............


flowing like a river.......


Now as we learn about the senseless killings in Virginia........what can be said?




No words...........just a hymn............flowing like a river


And for the third day in a row, the eastern seaboard of the United States and Canada is being pelted by angry rain, ice and wind.................


It feels like the sky is crying with rage.




Let us seek some solace in a hymn.




Love is flowing like a river,

Flowing out from you and me.

Flowing out into the desert,

Setting all the captives free.


Peace is flowing like a river,

Flowing out from you and me.

Flowing out into the desert,

Setting all the captives free.


Joy is flowing like a river,

Flowing out from you and me.

Flowing out into the desert,

Setting all the captives free.









9 comments:

Shaz said...

I heard the news about the sensless
pain and death.
I think hyms are perfect when there are no words for devastation bought on by such things.
My prayers are with the loved ones of those tragicly lost.

kenju said...

The hymn is perfect. They are indeed free now.

Dustin said...

Wow, Dana, what a perfect hymn in light of yesterday's events. Let us all lift up a prayer and a song in honor of all who have been touched by this tragedy.

awareness said...

I fell asleep last night wondering how I could encapsulate the events in words......fell asleep with it unresolved.

When I woke this morning, the was playing in my head again, as it has several times since hearing it on the news last week. it seemed just right.

since posting this pic and hymn this morning, the hymn has stayed with me as I go about my work day. Despite the absolutely horrendous weather and sombre feeling when seems like it has blanketed a very large area, i can honestly state that my spirits seem more lifted than I had predicted for today.

Hymns have a way of expressing our joys, sorrows, pain and grief. They are like a cleansing prayer set to soothing tune.

Hymns also connect us with comforting familiarity

Prerona said...

the beginning, teh title and the pic reminded me of the movie - and a river flows through it ... the post reminded me of a beatles song ... i heard the news (day in the life of ...)

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

someone tell me again why guns are legal.....

we carry it all....

X said...

The shootings in the US were horrible. Coming from a town where there were two major ones in the past two decades.....the community will be in mourning. It makes you question society sometimes...and the people in it.

awareness said...

we surely do carry it all........

and yet, we will continue to hear and read attempts at laying the blame at the foot of someone else.

many questions will be left at the altar.........unanswered.

Bar L. said...

yes, this hymn is perfect...thanks for sharing it