Monday, January 08, 2007

A sweet voice


I met a woman over a year ago who was referred to me because she was looking for work, but was dealing with various mental health barriers. She had a strong fear of leaving her apartment and it was verging on agoraphobia. She had told the Case Manager stories of stalkers and threats, but presented her issues to the Case Manager in a way that seemed like the stalking stories weren't based in reality. When stories get a bit dicey and verge on delusional, I am often asked to meet with the person.

At the same time as our meeting, I had just written a piece on trying to understand what "grace" meant to me which had really helped form my own definition. It was published on the local CBC website as part of a series they were doing on "finding faith." I posted it on my blog as well. So, it was a fresh piece of important learning for me when this woman walked into my office.

I don't know what happened the moment we met, but I honestly knew then that our connection was special, that I was sharing my office space with a very spiritual woman. She was full of innocence and yet had experienced recent loss, fear and despair which had put her in a personal tailspin. To describe her as ethereal makes her sound otherworldly but she did have that essence to her. She had a dazzling smile and big warm brown eyes. Dressed like a gypsy with a little funky flair, her presence illuminated my office with her beauty.

We talked for over 2 hours...........our conversation covered so many topics.........it was like we both wanted to touch on them ALL! She told me her story............of the stalker, of having to move many times within the city, of having to quit her job.........of losing her mother whom she believed was the only person who ever understood her and of being misunderstood by the rest of her family. She shared her dreams of recording her music, of following through on her entrepreneurial ideas. She spoke of God and of looking for grace everyday. She also disclosed that every night she talked to her mom, and that sometimes her mom sent her messages. I wholeheartedly believed her.

It wasn't a one-sided conversation................I shared as well...........about my family, my desire to write, and my recent understanding of what grace meant and of how I had just written about it. When she asked for a copy, I printed it off at the end of our meeting.

Two people who shared a couple of hours that turned out to be memorably special. There was nothing wrong with this woman that time and support wouldn't help heal........ I asked her to keep in touch with me as she continued on her journey.

The next day, she called me in tears..........................to tell me how much she enjoyed my grace article and how much it meant to her that I shared it with her...............she left me in tears...............I was so touched.

Every now and then a voice message would be left...........to keep me up to date as she found work, and found a band who would help her record her music........... We never met face to face again. Her life had taken her off social assistance and she was doing a bit better. Still not at a point where she was fulfilling her dream of singing again in a public venue, but close to it. Though it had been a while since I had heard her cheery voice, I often thought of her......wondering if I would bump into her one day. It's never happened.

Today..........I arrived back to my office after being away for 2 1/2 weeks. Sitting on my keyboard was a small envelope. In it was a card..............with a picture of a beautiful ethereal woman on the front.................with a dazzling smile and warm brown eyes. Her picture from her music portfolio.

Inside I found the words:

"I'm noticing 'grace' everyday. Thanks to you. Don't forget about me. Keep a look out in the news!!"

How can life be any sweeter than that?

7 comments:

Michael K. Althouse said...

That's a nice story. It's nice to know that we can make a difference.

Mike

The House on Big Island said...

Muskie,

As you know, your "story of grace" had an important impact on many of us. When I first discovered it on the CBC website, it warmed my heart in an indescribable way.

It reconnected me with a long lost companion which would have been enough on it's own - but it was so much more important than that!

I sent this to many friends and family whom I knew would understand the importance of this story - a 20-something year old niece who had recently moved away from home still searching for something... anything... that would help her find out who she is and what her calling in this life might be. Although a bit lost (not hard to imagine in a world so hard to navigate, these days) she ended up in Halifax - back at school where she is thriving.

Her mom, a brilliant woman who despite unbelievable odds, having left high school after grade 11 - went back at age 38 and now holds a BSW, MSW and is almost through her PHD - is a university professor, the executive director of an important social service agency in northern Ontario and provides significant assistance to native families... but who also dearly missed her only child and needed the warmth of the touch that your words brought to her.

Both of them found tremendous support in your words - gained a real sense of strength, renewal and "grace" through them. We still share comments and thoughts about what an amazing story it is!

I wonder how many countless others were blessed by this amazing and special story which you penned?

...a lot, I think.

awareness said...

thanks Mike. I just read your post and loved it! Will try to get over to leave my thoughts. Isn't it nice to have some time off to write? You're on a roll...and I'm thoroughly enjoying reading your posts.

Daisy/Ian.......Shasta....my you have many names!!

I am bowled over by your comments and story......thank you.... since I wrote "Recognizing Grace" I have been surprised on a few occasions when old acquaintances (including high school friends) who have found it through a search of some kind.....and then have followed up with an email. when it was first posted on the CBC website, a few colleagues approached me after reading it....one guy whose grandchild had just been diagnosed with autism....he had tears in his eyes and gave me the biggest bear hug.....spilling his feelings to me....we were both a blubbery mess after that one!! :)

I am proud of it......and in awe of how one story......one that I sent out on a whim, generated such wonderful responses.....knowing how it touched you and knowing that you shared it with all of our kawabi kindreds on the website continues to spark my desire to write and to learn more about faith.

last night, I was reading the United Church Observer.... a colleague gave me this month's copy because there was an article he thought I'd be interested in. I was and and will post something later on it........but it got me thinking that maybe this mag is a possible outlet for some of my writing........ I plan to contact them today to see if maybe they would be interested.....I may even send them the "grace" piece.... ;)

Shaz said...

Wow a smile on my not so happy face tonight, beautiful story.
Shaz, Hi

Sunny said...

Isn't it great when you know that your footprint was a positive one?!!
Every now and then we are able to look back just before the ocean washes them away to see how our paths crossed over the paths of others.
It is a wonderful feeling.

paris parfait said...

What a wonderful, touching story! Thank you for sharing it - and for sharing your grace!

JP (mom) said...

Dear Dana,

Sometimes your writing gives me chills, this morning was one of those times.

Finally getting caught up on blogs after a few days of a bad spell. So wonderful to read your comforting words.

Much love and peace to you Dana ... JP