Monday, November 03, 2008

dark thinking



Obsessions can sometimes be healthy motivators, especially in the field of creative ingenuity. Given that the majority of us lemmings aren't that bright and wont be inventing the next "must have" that is going to shock and rock the world, I'd say that obsessions generally are significantly seen as irritating behaviours which hide personal wounds we want to keep hidden from ourselves and others. We become fixated on someone or something to a point where compulsion replaces normalcy. Rarely can we hold onto an obsession and an awareness of it at the same time. The projected shadow cloaks the door to insight.


Someone once said that we are our own worst enemies and that for the most part we need to get out of our own way in order to be able to see ourselves as we are and as others see us. But when it's a avoidance tactic used to keep us in the dark, we hold onto the actions which allow us to stay in our own way as long as we can. We rationalize things. For example..........an obsessive who is trying to avoid their own stuff may rationalize their behaviour by jusitifying........."I am doing this to help someone." Meanwhile, the person has made it perfectly clear that they don't want your help, don't want your attention.............want space. It's easier to "help" someone than help ourselves. We're weird that way.

Obsessions imprison their victims by manipulating the thought process into an anxious babble of behaviour that can't be silenced. We all suffer from some form of it sometime in our lives. It is a way to imprison our thoughts in order to avoid ourselves. It is a way, albeit not usually productive, of seeking a sense of empowering control we feel is lacking. It is a way we use to get in the way of ourselves.
William Glasser, guru of Choice theory and Reality therapy, believes we all have five basic needs in our lives. They are: Survival, Love and Belonging, Empowerment/Control, Freedom and Fun. According to Glasser, all of our behaviour, all of our actions are our best attempt at fulfilling one of our basic needs. Given that our thoughts and feelings feed one another and in turn impact our actions as well as our physiology and visa versa, this theory of his makes sense to me. My "survival" needs may not be as intense as someone elses.
My need to find a sense of love and belonging may take precedence in my life as opposed to YOUR need for freedom. they differ in intensity, but they are the same. What is different and what makes the needs look different is the colour and contour of the lens I am looking through. My perception is fed by personal events, learning, growth, my living situation, my personality.....anything and everything which has been poured into the concept of self. According to Glasser, if there is a sense of something lacking, I will do my best to fulfill it even with behaviour that is self harming.
So, how does one pull out of an obsession? How does one alleviate the ache produced by an unfulfilled need when the dark thinking permeates the spirit and chokes the light? How does one change the light bulb?

6 comments:

Nikita said...

I don't know my darling...but I will hand you a chair on which to stand. And an ear in which to talk, if ever you need. x

OldLady Of The Hills said...

This post is so filled with so very many things---I am kind of overwhelmed with understanding it. Realty Therapy. Hmmmmm. I am remonded of another "Reality Therapist" who said we only have two needs....Food and shelter and all the rest is well....LOL...I cannot remember what he said all the rest was. In some ways I guess HE was correct, except that leaves all the other things that Glasser(?) said, out there in nowhere land. Well, it's all too much for me right now...I have a 'rat' problem under my house, and my Cable is all F**ked up! Right now? THese are my immediate needs and I am obsessed with them...!

Thanks, my dear Dana, for your truly sweet kind words in conjunction with my Anniversary....The feelings are mutual, my dear!

awareness said...

Niki....thank you! You're a good soul and I'm very grateful our paths crossed through a "comment conversation" we had on Paul's blog a couple of years ago. Shine on!

Naomi....It was a bit nutty wasn't it? I had written most of it a long time and ago and pulled it up from my drafts because I was obsessing with the idea of obsession.....and how it has infiltrated myself, some around me, the election fury, etc etc. So, it is a bit eclectic.

I do like Glasser's theory...your brother most likely knows his work well......I think the original Glasser institute is in California and he's done a lot of work in Choice theory/Reality therapy with many different groups, from curriculum development and incorporating critical thinking into the learning process in our schools to an approach to therapy. I am just skimming on the basic premise of his lifework.

My need tonight? Sleep. :) I plan to be up late tomorrow night watching the results of your election. on pins and needles with everyone else.

awareness said...

oh, and naomi.....good luck with the rats! ick!

Anonymous said...

wish i ****ing knew - the ache seems to always live with us - a kind of constant reminder of what we may have walked away from

.....probably not a helpful comment but thats how i feel

awareness said...

Last night, I read the lines....

Sorrow is looking back
Worry is looking around
Faith is looking up.....

But, the more I thought and obsessed about it (because I believe all people who are AWAKE are relentless thinkers...:) the more I believe that our action of looking back and around us help us look up AND within.

Its all good.

Plus, the seeds of creativity....in looking for new solutions and a different way are found in our obsessions, if they don't include incessant hand washing like poor Lady MacBeth.