Monday, November 03, 2008

He holds the candle burning bright.....


Here is an excerpt from the speech Barack Obama gave at the 2004 Democratic convention. It brought the people to their feet.........and foisted him into the national limelight. From this electrifying speech, people began to wake up to possibility. They began to shake of their apathy and began to become interested again in the possibility of a leader taking a wounded nation forward with hope.
I will never forget Obama's speech because I too was standing and applauding this man whom I had never heard before.....it was evident to everyone who had a chance to watch him deliver it and to listen to his inspiration pour out of him. Whether you are aligned with his politics or not, Barack Obama was from this night forward recognized as a force to be reckoned with.......... May the people of the United States of America choose to take a giant step with this gifted man and elect him on November 4th as their next President of the United States. He has earned and deserves a chance to shine, shine, shine.


"Tonight is a particular honor for me because, let’s face it, my presence on this stage is pretty unlikely. My father was a foreign student, born and raised in a small village in Kenya. He grew up herding goats, went to school in a tin-roof shack. His father -- my grandfather -- was a cook, a domestic servant to the British.
But my grandfather had larger dreams for his son. Through hard work and perseverance my father got a scholarship to study in a magical place, America, that shone as a beacon of freedom and opportunity to so many who had come before.
While studying here, my father met my mother. She was born in a town on the other side of the world, in Kansas. Her father worked on oil rigs and farms through most of the Depression. The day after Pearl Harbor my grandfather signed up for duty; joined Patton’s army, marched across Europe. Back home, my grandmother raised a baby and went to work on a bomber assembly line. After the war, they studied on the G.I. Bill, bought a house through F.H.A., and later moved west all the way to Hawaii in search of opportunity.
And they, too, had big dreams for their daughter. A common dream, born of two continents.
My parents shared not only an improbable love, they shared an abiding faith in the possibilities of this nation. They would give me an African name, Barack, or ”blessed,” believing that in a tolerant America your name is no barrier to success. They imagined -- They imagined me going to the best schools in the land, even though they weren’t rich, because in a generous America you don’t have to be rich to achieve your potential.
They're both passed away now. And yet, I know that on this night they look down on me with great pride.
They stand here -- And I stand here today, grateful for the diversity of my heritage, aware that my parents’ dreams live on in my two precious daughters. I stand here knowing that my story is part of the larger American story, that I owe a debt to all of those who came before me, and that, in no other country on earth, is my story even possible.
Tonight, we gather to affirm the greatness of our Nation -- not because of the height of our skyscrapers, or the power of our military, or the size of our economy. Our pride is based on a very simple premise, summed up in a declaration made over two hundred years ago:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
That is the true genius of America, a faith -- a faith in simple dreams, an insistence on small miracles; that we can tuck in our children at night and know that they are fed and clothed and safe from harm; that we can say what we think, write what we think, without hearing a sudden knock on the door; that we can have an idea and start our own business without paying a bribe; that we can participate in the political process without fear of retribution, and that our votes will be counted -- at least most of the time....


This year, in this election we are called to reaffirm our values and our commitments, to hold them against a hard reality and see how we're measuring up to the legacy of our forbearers and the promise of future generations.
And fellow Americans, Democrats, Republicans, Independents, I say to you tonight: We have more work to do -- more work to do for the workers I met in Galesburg, Illinois, who are losing their union jobs at the Maytag plant that’s moving to Mexico, and now are having to compete with their own children for jobs that pay seven bucks an hour; more to do for the father that I met who was losing his job and choking back the tears, wondering how he would pay 4500 dollars a month for the drugs his son needs without the health benefits that he counted on; more to do for the young woman in East St. Louis, and thousands more like her, who has the grades, has the drive, has the will, but doesn’t have the money to go to college.
Now, don’t get me wrong. The people I meet -- in small towns and big cities, in diners and office parks -- they don’t expect government to solve all their problems. They know they have to work hard to get ahead, and they want to. Go into the collar counties around Chicago, and people will tell you they don’t want their tax money wasted, by a welfare agency or by the Pentagon. Go in -- Go into any inner city neighborhood, and folks will tell you that government alone can’t teach our kids to learn; they know that parents have to teach, that children can’t achieve unless we raise their expectations and turn off the television sets and eradicate the slander that says a black youth with a book is acting white. They know those things.
People don’t expect -- People don't expect government to solve all their problems. But they sense, deep in their bones, that with just a slight change in priorities, we can make sure that every child in America has a decent shot at life, and that the doors of opportunity remain open to all.
They know we can do better. And they want that choice."
Choice.........! Change.......!
The audacity of hope
Let his candle burn bright.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

praise be on his name!

Rainbow dreams said...

it's a big day...am hoping it will shine with hope and possibility too

Karen said...

I must admit Dana that I have been bypassing most posts about this bloody election because I am so sick of hearing about it. It headlines our news every night and I live on the other side of the world. I bet if I were to ask anyone outside of Australia who our Prime Minister is 9 out of 10 people wouldn't know. That's in spite of the fact our country was part of the coalition of the willing and have always been an ally of America. Our Aussie elections would barely be a footnote in an American news service yet every night we are bombarded with stories about the American election and have been for months.


Having said all that, and I'm not sure where that little outburst came from, I did read this post and that speech, and I have to agree with you that it's inspirational stuff. I wonder if it was his own words or written by a speech writer. It certainly sounded sincere but I have a healthy amount of cynicism for the sincerity of politicians full stop.

Ellen said...

WooHoo!!.... I just got through voting, and my choice was very clear for the first time in many years. Besides Gore in 2000, I can't remember a candidate who I could get behind 100% till this election.... and I wasn't going to miss a minute of it.

It took me exactly 2 hours waiting in line, but was worth every second as I met new people (many of which live in my own neighborhood that I didn't even know), and forged new friendships. There was a certain symmetry to all of this, as well as a feeling of hope in the air.

Living in a very red Republican state, I am but a small blue Democrat dot.... but today I saw a difference, a feeling of change. All from a man who inspires the best in us to overcome hope over fear... a message that seemed to have gotten lost over the last 8 long years.

I do feel for Gypsy, as our news has been bombasted across the planet, and we've hardly had any news about other elections or news going on elsewhere. This is a sad state of affairs in the universe of things, as Australia and Canada have always been our allies, yet we have treated them like red-headed step-children... as if we here in the US are more important than other nations on global affairs. Perhaps with a new President Obama, this wonderful feeling of HOPE will allow us to spread the experience as it should be. After all, if we don't learn to get along and pay attention to one another globally, what's the point?

awareness said...

paul....Let this be his day.

Katie....yes, the electricity is even in the air north of the border.

gypsy....this is the place where Aussies and Canucks meet! :) We have been flooded with U.S. election news, and always are. We can access many American TV stations and radio stations, so it's inevitable when you live beside a giant.
There is a famous Canadian comedian, Rick Mercer, who has his own newsy show like Jon Stewart's. Mercer did a funny video piece during the last election ...... i can't remember the name of the piece....something like talking to Americans and he asked questions and interviewed folks who even live next to the border about Canada...the people, the politics, the geography etc. it was very revealing and very funny.

As far as whether or not Obama wrote this speech, my feeling is that he embraced the message and the words and made them his own even if a speech writer wrote it.

oh, your PM? I knew that Howard wasn't anymore and that you had an election last winter (our winter) and had to look it up....Kevin Rudd. :)

Ellen....thank you for posting your thoughts after voting! I could picture you standing in line surrounded by the excitement of it all. Who knows? Maybe Obama will take Georgia.......most definately your home state will go Democrat.

Ellen said...

Well, my home state didn't go Democrat, but in the scheme of things, the most important aspect of the past 21 months is that my candidate won.... and won BIG. Here's to HOPE and CHANGE. Many thanks to your prayers, and many thanks to Max and his special Thanksgiving wish.

Yes we can... yes we did!

awareness said...

Ellen! AMAZING! WE have just finished watching his acceptance speech.......was left in tears! AMAZING! The swelling of emotion and hope was felt here that's for sure.....

hurray!

Big steps now.....My God its daunting! But, it has to start and let it start with Obama as President.

cheers to you.

Marja said...

I salute Obama. A great day I believe in him