Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Hell Yeah!





It's Friday afternoon and your work week is over. It's been a long stressful, tiring week.........one that has pushed and pulled you all over the emotional map. For some reason, it was your week to be the punching bag for the rest of the world. It feels like you don't have a stitch of energy left and the last thing you want to do is to talk to anyone for fear of overreacting and wanting to bite their head off for just getting in your space. You're zipped, zapped and feeling like a dishrag zombie. The only reply left in your repetoire is fuck off. Even your dragging footsteps seem to carry the sound.............fuck off. Your posture most definately does.......
And, as you make your way to your car, the skies open up and it begins to pour torrents down on you. You can't help but take it personally while you scramble to find the keys in the bottomlessness of your duffle bag........ARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!
Finally, inside the quiet dryness of your car with the rain pelting down splashing the windshield with the same fury as you're feeling inside, you turn on the ignition.
Quickly, a layer of burden slips off you, clearing your head enough to realize just how nasty you're feeling...............and how nasty you've been acting..............and how you want to change gears...........to feel the goodness of a smile. You lean down to the side pocket of the seat and pull out your favourite CD (sorry i-pod folks.....I want a car surround sound feel to this............). And as you're pulling out of the parking lot, turning onto an open street, heading towards a good stretch of road, the familiar wall of sound hits you right where you need it. In fact, it feels like it's cracked open a hardened shell that was encasing your spirit.
All of a sudden, you find yourself belting out a song with as much raw emotion as you can muster, throwing off caution......discarding all dignities................

YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT!

NO YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT........

BUT IF YOU TRY SOME TIME,

YOU JUST MIGHT FIND

YOU GET WHAT YOU NEED.......

Fists pounding, fingers drumming, body moving with joyful defiance! An anthem can save even the worst dog breath day!

I had a moment like this the other day.........different scenario than the one i conjured up to begin this piece. But, I was most definately in the foulest of moods, swimming in my own bile. On the way to take my son to his guitar lesson, I popped in a Neil Diamond compilation of oldies and before I knew it (much to the chagrin of my two loving and patient children) I threw myself into the role of backup singer to Mr. Diamond...........quietly singing along at first......

L.A.'s fine, sunshine most of the time

The feeling is laid back

Palm trees grow and the rents are low

But you know I keep thinking about

Making my way back,

But I'm New York City born and raised

But nowadays, I'm lost between two shores

L.A.'s fine, but it ain't home

New York's home but it ain't mine no more.......(then building up to his well known chorus crescendos........before i knew it, I was lost in the glory of an anthem!)

I am, I said

To no one there

And no one heard at all

Not even the chair

I am, I cried

I am, said I

And I am lost,

and I can't even say why

Leavin' me lonely still (you have to hold that last lonely note for poignancy sake......)

By the time we reached our destination, the seratonin factor had kicked in and I was feeling much better thank you very much, and was even ready to carry on a buoyant conversation. So, when the opportunity arose, I asked my friend Jeff to name a song that he can guarantee will lift his spirits and make him sing aloud. Knowing him pretty well, and having had a few conversations about music tastes and a couple of impromptu singsongs with him strumming his guitar, I didn't expect him to answer with Bohemian Rhapsody. YES! My laid back, outdoorsy folk singing, canoe paddling, wine swilling, guitar picking buddy confessed that when he reaches the top of a mountain after a long climb, he stands at the summit and belts out the words to BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY! Mamma mia, mamma mia...........let me go..........

After that wonderful testimonial, we started to make up my evergrowing list.........

Springsteen.....Born to Run, Thunder Road, Glory Days.....

Rolling Stones....Tumbling Dice, Jumpin Jack Flash.......Brown Sugar, and my favourite driving song........Start Me Up.

U2......Where the Streets have no names, Beautiful Day..........(my son Max's contribution to the list? Sunday, Bloody Sunday)

The next day, I sent out an email to a bunch of kooky folks whom I know would share their deep secret good feeling anthem songs with me. They did not fail me........... To date, I have received not only replies, some have even taken the time to SEND me their favourite anthems. My student intern graciously lent me his i-pod to listen to the recent anthem used in the Detroit Arena before the hockey game starts...........great fist pumping the air tune.........Hell, Yeah by Rev Theory. Thank you Nolan for expanding my repetoire and for giving me the title to this post. :)

So, in no particular anthem order (but have had a request to put together a CD compilation named "Open Roads") here are a few goodies shared with me along with a few others that I love.....most you will know, and some may be newbies to seek out..................PLEASE ADD TO THE LIST......WOULD LOVE TO KNOW YOU'RE ANTHEM SECRETS!

1. Only the Good Die Young.......Mr. Billy Joel (future thanksgiving dinner guest at my house)

2. Dude Looks Like a Lady.....Aerosmith (suggested by my ever loving comrade at work, lover of all things Springsteen, and who always has a calming affect on me and lets me yap away during breaks, quietly listening with a smile on his face! I asked him if I could sit in the back seat of his car and watch him belt this one out!)

3. Smells Like Teen Spirt and Come as you Are....Nirvana (thank you David for sending me the second mentioned tune to add colour to my office today)

4. Respect..........Aretha..........of course

5. Domino, Gloria, Let God Shine His Light on Me, Skiffle Sessions and MUCH more from Mr. Van the Man Morrison

6. Suffragette City, Rebel Rebel, Modern Love, Heroes........David Bowie

7. Drive South, John Hiatt

8. 500 Miles.........Proclaimers

9. Tush.........ZZ Top

10. Addicted to Love......Robert Palmer (though this is a difficult one to remain seated behind the wheel of a car because.............well, I just want to jump up and play the air guitar)

11. The original Princess even offered up her favourite, one I'm sure she uses as background music during her pole dancing lessons.........a lovely little number by Blondie.......I Touch Myself. I didn't recognize it, so asked my husband who has a music library stored in his brain.......he sang it to me. What a nice guy, eh?

12. Please Don't Bury Me, Blow up your TV, That's the Way the World Goes Around......John Prine............love John Prine.........a perennial smile on the face for me.

Now, I want to share a couple of tunes with you..........you may have never heard them before. it's a little Maritime flavour, an area known for it's big boozey anthems. This is sung by the late great sadly missed Stan Rogers.........may you find stomping your feet and singing with big fat emotions! Here's the first one.........Barrett's Privateers.

And the next song is especially for Mr. Nice Breadbox.........oh, I can hear you singing it NOW! A film clip of the Northwest Passage.......

Would love to hear your anthem choice..................and if by chance you have a link to the song, drop me an email!

One more link..........to the annual Stanfest in Nova Scotia in July. Paul?!! Check out the list of performers. One of your friends is going to be joining in on some Maritime fun. I don't think I'll be in the Maritimes when he is, but will have to track him down soon!

20 comments:

BreadBox said...

For the quiet moments when you need to burst into song:
Nessum Dorma at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONUCPKdGcrk
and old Louis, singing "Wonderful World".
Old Steeleye Span version of Buddy Holly's "Rave On".
Zoe Lewis's "Sheep".
The finale from Les Miserables: "Do you hear the people sing?"
Arlo Guthrie, "Last train to glory".
Chris Rosser's love song: "David and Marie".


What's that you say? I have to stop at fewer than a 1000???? but I'm just getting started:-)
Hope you don't know at least one or two of the above...
N.

Bar L. said...

hey Dana, whatever you were smokin when you wrote this post - I want some :)

i think i'll make a playlist out of all the songs you mentioned here (since I have them!) and call it "Tunes for a Dana Day"

Kate's Typewriter said...

what an awesome post!!! I am grinning like an idiot. Bohemian Rhapsody, indeed! :)

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

he plays so many festivals in Canada - fell in love with the place and the people - let me know if you will be close by and i will get you an audience with him.....

awareness said...

N.......thank you! Yes, there are a couple here I am unfamiliar with. I'm with you too....it was difficult not to continue listing.....so many types of songs to choose from as well. Good to know there are many many anthems to get one out of a foul mood or just to simply remain in a good one. :) I'll be in touch. thanks.

Hey Layla......as mr. Prine would say.........smoke 'em if you got 'em. I missed a bunch of Canuck ones too.....like.....
Life is a Highway....I wanna Drive all night long...
Takin' Care of Business....
My Heart is Yours....
Summer of '69......

Kate.....Glad you enjoyed it. I loved how when I sent out the request email that in no time I had links sent to me to listen to.
And given that my friend Jeff and I have sung many an inebriated version of Neil Young's Comes a Time (in perfect pitch harmony no less) and know that he loves a good Blues song......Queen was a surprise. Perhaps our next opportunity, we'll have to take a stab at the whole thing at our next campfire.

paul.......I have always wanted to attend this particular folk festival, but always seem to have much on my plate at that time of year....the roster is impressive! Very similar to this year's East Coast Music festival. It gets bigger every year.
I will keep an eye on Martin's schedule.....I have looked in the past and he seems to focus mostly on Western Canada and not us poor folk (who know what a kitchen party is...........hell, yeah!) in the Maritimes.
Perhaps I'll just have to get my sorry ass to Greenbelt to see him....and you. :)

Karen said...

Ah yes music can lift you right out out of a full blown snit can't it?

I can't go past "I will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor.

At first I was afraid, I was petrified,
Kept thinking I could never live without you by my side,
But then I spent so many nights
thinking how you did me wrong
And I grew strong
And I learned how to get along.....

Love it.....

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Music can change everything! It can uplift you and move you and delight you and take you into any place your heart desires!
To be honest, I know a few of these songs, but I see the Generation Gap at play here...lol!
The things that stir me are from a different period of time in Music.
One of the greatest pieces of "Theatre" Music is the Original Orchestral Oveture to the show "GYPSY"....You cannot be down when lisuening to this. I wish I had a dollor for every time I have conducted this while lisrening to my then Long Playing 33 1/3 "record" of "Gypsy".....There are many many many other pieces of music that stir me in different ways for different moods.
Nothing like music to lift the spirits and turn your day around, OR, move you to tears! The 2nd Movement of the Mendelson Violin Concerto....BEAUTIFUL, beyond words!
I'll have to look for a link to that one! (And think of some others, too!)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Here is a link to that 2nd Movement of The Mendelsohn Violin Comcerto....GORGEOUS Music!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=l8QBsVOGfpA

Anonymous said...

Livin' on a Prayer, Bon Jovi
Summer of '69
Cecilia & Mrs Robinson (Simon & Garfunkle)
Baggy Trousers, One Step Beyond & House of Fun (Madness)

Am now wiping the dust of my cd's and stuffing them into my computer to get them onto my MP3 player, as I've been having a week like the one you described!

http://justonestepatatime.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Oh, and Def Leppard turned up LOUD!zh

awareness said...

Gypsy! That's a great anthem....had forgotten about it.....remember singing it with a group of roomies at uni in a pub together........

Naomi......there are a few theatre pieces that i absolutely LOVE! yes, music can surely move you in many many directions.

And Mendelsohn's Violin Concerto is one of my favourites to play at home when all is quiet...I fill the air with it. :) One of my husband's first jobs when we were younger and living in Toronto was sales on the classical floor in the largest record store in the city. It was great because it allowed us a chance to learn much more about classical music and to grow fond of many pieces.

thank you for offering your thoughts.....love them all always.

Sleeping Daisy........YES CRANK it up and wake up all the other daisies! it's the only true medicine for crappy weeks!! Your suggestions are duly noted. Thank you! I had forgotten about simon and garfunkle! My fav has always been The Boxer.

It's been a funny day....every where I've been...every store, and even in the waiting room at the doctor's office anthem songs were being played on the radio!! How odd is that?? I heard Taking Care of Business, Layla, and JIMMY BUFFETT! I had forgotten about Jimmy boy!

Marja said...

Great post Very recognisable and I love the rolling stones. That one is in my car as well and the Blues brothers CD singging along Aritha Franklin's Think

The House on Big Island said...

OH no!!! I am afraid I won't be able to stop once I get started!!!

O.K. - Muskie, I will stick to all Canuck - that will be one way to make sure that I can get to bed tonight!

Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride(a must in the car on the first "open window highway day" of the year.

Lighthouse - Sunny Days

Crowbar - Oh What a Feelin'

Perth County Conspiracy - My Uncle Jed

...and so on

"Daisy"

awareness said...

Marja....The Blues Brothers! I had forgotten about them.....great sing along tunes. I actually love many blues songs. We have a music fest here in September....the Harvest Jazz and Blues. It's a four day fest with many small venues throughout the downtown...many under large tents etc. The place comes alive with music and you can either choose to go to one venue or move around to several. This year, Buddy Guy is headlining. Looking forward to it.

Daisy/Ian/Shastamon....I was thinking of you last night wondering if you were home or on your Euro tour....couldn't remember the dates.
Great pics.....could do a Canuck anthem only post couldn't I? We have some memorable ones....and a few recent ones too....am thinking Arcade Fire. They have one song that is described as the song Springsteen never sang....love that one.

I won't be heading up to Otterdale today for the reunion....will send you an email....... my thoughts are there right now. :)

Sunny said...

I love Even Better Than The Real Thing by U2, Rhianna's Please Don't Stop The Music and I'm Bringin' Sexy Back by Justin Timberlake (the last 2 are kind of anthems for when Princess and I go out - they get our groove on).

Ellen said...

ok.... confession time. Some people have voices talking in their head, while mine are mostly musical. Might be the perfect explanation as to how I can keep my sanity most days. As far as songs.... my range is completely eclectic. I like everything from classical to rock... except rap... can't stand rap; but then is that really music?

I watched the movie "Bobby" last night, and they played Simon & Garfunkel's "Sounds of Silence" ... still one of my favorites after all these years......

I read back through a few posts and saw that you had posted "Morning Has Broken"... that was my class song so many years ago. It is one I shall sing all night now. Once a song gets in, it's hard to get it out till I hear another one.

awareness said...

sunny.........so GLAD you and princess are "bringing sexy back" to this little town. Would love to attend one of your howls when you get your groove on, especially if it has anything to do with tailgate parties and arse darts. :)

Ellen! SO wonderful to see you. I'll send you an email this weekend......can't wait to get caught up.
Morning has broken is such a lovely song. We used to sing it as a grace at camp....which is why the words on that post are different than Cat Steven's original version.
Am glad you're out there!!!

Under there... said...

In the End, Crawling, Somewhere I Belong, What I've Done by Linkin Park. Getting Away With Murder, Forever by Papa Roach. So Far Away by Staind. Hotel California and Desperado by The Eagles. Holiday by Green Day. Gone Away by The Offspring. For those moments I need to spiritually connect.

Robert said...

great stuff dana let's see....

Born to Be Wild- Steppenwolf

Tubthumpin- Chumbawumba

We are the Champions- Queen

Call Me- Blondie

Pride-In the name of Love- U2

myrtle beached whale said...

Without music life would be very sad.