Monday, October 01, 2007



Suspended just over the river horizon, the moon seemed within reach last night as I took this photo from my back deck. It sat dipping below the stars which filled the clear night sky. But they were only playing a supporting role to the moon. She shone like a golden egg -- inviting yet always mysteriously elegant. We know she is a constant visitor.
We still stand in awe of her, our autumn moon.


As I stood alone in the quiet of the night inhaling the crispness of the air on the last day of September and taking in the golden majesty, I wondered who else was doing the same. Who else was looking up at the night sky wondering what was out there?
Were you out there last night, looking at the moon?
It comforted me to think of others doing the same thing in a connective manner, because if I think I'm the only one standing alone gazing out at the vastness of the night sky, I feel incredibly insignificant in the scheme of things. As much as I was standing alone.......I was alone........I chose to feel a sense of kinship to others drawn by the mystery of our lovely moon. Instead of feeling insignificant, I felt empowered. I felt a part of something bigger than my back yard.

6 comments:

Perplexio said...

That's a beautiful photo!

And when staring at the heavens above, I don't believe we're ever truly alone. At any given moment, you're sharing that beautiful view with millions of others. Sure there are some who pay no attention to it, but then there are those who-- like you-- feel the beauty and power of the moon.

Rainbow dreams said...

No you weren't alone :)
I was looking at it here last night too...and it was still here this morning when I thought it should have been asleep...

It is a beautiful photo - I wonder, is that a grapefruit moon?
lyrics going round my head lately...

I have tried but failed to photograph the moon...no matter how I try it always looks tiny...must be doing it wrong!

awareness said...

Hey perplex! Don't you LOVE starring at the moon on canoe trips? No city lights.....just pure clarity. There weren't many lights on around me last night.....and in fact there were no lights on the horizon below the moon either.....
I don't believe we are ever alone either.

Katie. How wonderful that you were out there looking....though I think when I was it would've been 3 am in your backyard....but still, it's very nice to know you do the same thing.

This photo seemed like a lucky shot. I didn't know if was going to come out fuzzy or not because it was difficult to hold the camera still enough at that zoom.

It could be a grapefruit moon.....or a grateful moon....."if you believe in me"

cheers.

kenju said...

I got up to go to the bathroom several nights ago. My nightlight had burned out - but I didn't need it after all. The full moon was so bright that I thought the night light was working again!

Karen said...

When I am missing someone I often go outside and look at the stars and moon and wonder if they are looking at them too. It makes me miss them a little less to think that maybe they are. I understand that connective thing you talked about. I have such a romantic heart....

BreadBox said...

Not last night, but the children and I have been getting up in the mornings before sunrise to look at the moon and the morning star....

N.