Wednesday, October 03, 2007

the game of risk.

Morning meditations at low tide,
PEI, 2007


I do pick my battles. I think the problem is..........I seem to have picked several over the years. I have the scars to prove it. But I also have the success stories tucked in my heart and head. These stories are the salve for the scars.


Since learning that I'm perceived as a renegade of some kind, a shit disturber, cage rattler bully by a select few (albeit ones who have the keys to make my work life miserable), I have reflected back on some of the individuals I have strongly advocated for on their behalf. The doozies. Not the ones where it has been a simple request after providing some new information about their living situation, or their desire to take a short course in order to be more employable etc. This is my everyday kind of advocating. No, I've been thinking about the ones I stuck my neck out for. I have absolutely no regrets ...... none. In fact, when I look back on the battles, I am pleased to realize how many of these wonderful human beings were able to move forward in their own journeys because they were given a chance.......a fighting chance!!


However, if someone was paying attention and keeping tabs on the number of battles......I can see how I have easily been labelled as a concientious objector of the status quo renegade lady. If I am confronted by a set of rules or a bizarre situation which seems ludicrous and needs to be challenged, my brain automatically kicks into gear trying to find a way to do a "work around." It's not that I have this over inflated sense of entitlement (well there are days when I feel like a princess....who doesn't??) Rather, the button pushed in me is the one labelled fairness. Actually, it's more of an alarm..........the fairness alarm. AND, when policies and legislation is the name of the game, well there is just an assumption that those rules will be interpreted with no living colour.............no grey.............just black and white. One size fits all. Exceptions aren't invited. No questions asked.


I'm a question asker.


I like the sound of the word.............. WHY?


So, I have been revisiting many familiar faces...........many human beings who I know have succeeded with a little boost.....a little individualized help.........many are active working members of our community now. No rules were broken. No laws were broken by addressing the person's life situation with some creative individuality. I have also been reminded of a few others I had forgotten about by my supportive colleagues who seem to be as dumbfounded as me to hear that I have been labelled "difficult to work with," and you know what? I can honestly and genuinely say to myself.........


I wouldn't have backed down on any one of those battles. Not a blessed one.



"You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men.

You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.

Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven. "

We are all lights in this world. Every single one of us. And if one of our lights seems to be dim or even about to flicker and fade, the ones whose candles are burning strongly need to be there to relight it. It's what fairness and equality is all about isn't it?