Thursday, November 02, 2006

Portaging That Blue Canoe

Have you ever portaged a canoe? Sometimes it's a breezy beaverdam liftover. Other times, it's a back breaking sweat inducing ordeal. If the weight of the canoe doesn't do you in, the pesky mosquitoes will. Most times though, the portage from one body of water to another is manageable. If you prepare..........if you balance the weight............if you share the load.........if you know basically where you're headed....if you take a breather every once in a while, it's manageable. Sure, it may seem daunting at first when you are paddling up to the shore thinking of the task ahead, and wondering if you're up to it. But, there has never been a time when I have portaged a canoe and not been filled with a heaping helping of satisfaction when the job was done.

Transitioning from one lake to another allows you to venture into personal unchartered territory with a whole new vista. Sometimes..........the trip leads to enchanted forrests.

I'm thinking that it's time for me to slip into the stern of my blue canoe and go for a paddle. It may be November, and this may be a metaphor................... but I think the time is right to work on my J-stroke and head towards the next portage. And while I practise my paddling and get a feel again for balancing the canoe just right, I'll prepare for the liftover...........or the other back breaking kind the best that I can.


PS. I have a job interview next week.................to test the waters.........

8 comments:

paris parfait said...

Have never portaged a canoe, but have felt the sting of pesky mosquitoes (especially in Sevilla). I like your metaphor - wishing you all the best with your interview.

Arlen said...

The best to you on your interview. You'll do fine. I can't imagine how anyone would not hire you - your insights on life and living are exceptional...

awareness said...

Paris.......thank you.

Arlen.......I have been known to blow interviews :) There are times when I have to keep my insights to a minimum, because they often scare people for some reason. I'm not as "reserved" as most interviewers I guess.
However, I do feel good about this one, because I don't think they have a specific person in mind and the job seems like a tailor fit. Thank you for your compliments. You've made my day.

Sunny said...

Hi Awareness,
I have missed you terribly. My intuition tells me that you will do wonderful in your interview and if they don't pick you it will be their loss.
will see you Monday.

awareness said...

Hi Sunny.........bring your walking shoes to work on Monday. We will start our noon hour jaunts along the river walkway. It's a shame we have to start in November and not in the spring......but start we will!! Who knows, maybe we'll brave the cold wind and traipse over the bridge....to see what's on the other side.

I've been thinking about you all week.

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

No, I have never even been in a canoe, but it sounds fun.

Here is to smooth sailing for your interview next week.

Balbulican said...

You know what to do.

Anticipate every single question you think they may throw at you, and consider your answer. Don't rehearse it - you don't want to sound too polished. But know in broad terms how you'll answer everything.

The trend these days, as you may know, is for situational interviews, involving "what would you do if..." questions, or asking you what you did in the past in a given scenario.

Mostly, do your honest best to anticipate the questions that you want LEAST to be asked, and considert how you'll answer them. Not only will this prepare you for tough questions - it will increase your confidence level heading into the interview.

Good luck!

awareness said...

Hi Barbara.....thanks for the support. I'm hoping for smooth sailing :)

Balbulican....your advice is sound. I learned the last time out not to over prepare.........just the right amount is needed. I was so wound up and full of myself that I honestly scared the shit out of the interviewers.........one was the deputy chief of police!! I think he thought I was off my medication or something. I can laugh about it now, but at the time....when I figured out what I had done (the next morning) I felt red hot embarrassing shame......not a good feeling. Ah.........it wasn't meant to be........and I'm actually glad I didn't get that one. Turned out to be a big dud.

The position I'm being interviewed for encompasses the two areas I'm most comfortable with......counselling and facilitating. So, I will focus on the questions that I don't find fun...and allow my own philosophy concerning the two fields to guide me when answering.

And if they are happy with my approach to these fields.....well then it's not a good match and I will move onto to writing a steamy best selling novel. Yeah!