Sunday, November 12, 2006

Emerging Spirit


I am but one cell, housed with similarly shaped cells that function best when working together.
I am but one cell, sharing a home with differently shaped cells.
Separated though interconnecting functions. Trying to work together.
I am but one cell...........one of millions and millions of cells at home in the body.
All with equal importance.........all accepted and needed.

Sharing a faith,
Learning a faith,
Living a faith strengthen by compassionate love and forgiveness.
Faith held by a Guiding internal skeleton.
This is the Body of Christ of which I am but one cell.


Thanks to Philip Yancey and Dr. Paul Brand's collaborative efforts, I was offered an epiphany today. Epiphanies are always welcome, but they do seem that much more special when they happen on a Sunday.

Epiphany..........what a musical word. When I say it in my head, it is always accompanied by the sound of a piccolo. Are epiphanies always joyful? Are negative epiphanies called something else?

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made is an insightful book which I am enjoying immensely. Brand's physiological analogy, using human bones and our skeleton as a representation of the gospel offers a visual that I can comprehend. It is the internal structure, the skeleton that allows the body to function. Inner meaning housed in our bones. Rules and Christian values that allow us freedom of movement.

Inner faith. Not worn outwardly. Lived and practised through actions.

The inner skeleton feeds and promotes spiritual growth. If our faith is worn on the outside of our skin, or as a hard shell, the fluidity of the lessons of Christianity become hardened and steadfast. A hard shell encases us in a ritualistic and fundamental structure that doesn't offer us room for interpretation of the gospel.

Brand states: "Jesus understood that rules and governing behaviour are meant to free movement and promote growth as a vertebrate skeleton does, not to inhibit growth as an exoskeleton does." He continues................ "If doctrines and rules are worn externally as a show of pride in spiritual superiority, the exoskeleton obscures God's grace and love, making the Christian gospel ugly and unattractive."

If the rules of the gospel are too rigid, too encasing..............basically if you don't "tow the line" completely, you won't receive God's approval? This has always been my personal "beef" with organized religion. I've never been comfortable with someone pushing their beliefs on me. In fact, I've never been comfortable when I have been cornered like that on any topic. Covenant claustrophia perhaps?? Smothering suggestible sinning? No. I want to live my life with a skeleton that allows me to find my way.......with a growing faith, with an internal compass to guide me.

Inner thought..............down deep. Yes.

An epiphany to nourish this little cell. It has been a fruitful day.

"The gospel is a gift freely given by God to people who don't deserve it"
Dr. Paul Brand.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fine commentary!

It reminded me of a similar event when I was driving through New York City at night. Suddenly I "saw" the city as a vast body, with the people and cars coursing down her streets as the blood coursing down her veins. Everything seemed alive in a different way after that -- and the Body of Christ had new meaning. It was a fine moment's insight similar to your own. Thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

Great post and a great book! I read it years ago but it's the kind of book I like to read more than once. Thanks for reminding me of it!

awareness said...

Mata...thank you. I like your night city analogy too I can picture it vividly.

Layla.... the timing seemed to be right for me to pick up the book. I am new to reading this genre.....it's only been a year or so since I "shifted" gears and became more receptive to the messages. I find that I need to savour a new perspective (well new to me) that I may read....to give it time to percolate before I can move on to another chapter. Usually I devour books, but I have forced myself to slow down to think.

Brand's description of an internal skeleton and an exoskeleton (he used the crayfish as an example) brought to mind some of your recent posts on Driscoll and friends....... :) possibly their exoskeletons are showing?? Not too warm and fuzzy!!

Sunny said...

This was a post that got me thinking about some of the people that I know. One guy in particular is the perfect example of someone who is rigidly stuck within an exoskeleton. He is the type of guy who stands for the national anthem before an NHL hockey game IN HIS OWN BASEMENT!!! This is a religious/patriotic rule he has. He is also very adament about religion and the beliefs it has given him without room for negotiation or movement. He is very rigid and tells his wife (who is a little more flexible in her own views) on a regular basis that she is going to Hell. He honestly believes that her soul is destined to burn.
On the flip side of that I know another woman who works in my office with a heart of gold. She is what God intended when he began sending messages down to Earth. She believes in his Word but in an earthly sense. She feels it from the inside and is kind in a way that others can never be. It is almost as though she is a deciple but hasn't been told yet. I can't believe that I went for as long as I did in life without meeting anyone like her before last year. Her skeleton is always growing and although she isn't perfect she comes as close as possible. A great friend to keep the faith for me when I wasn't sure if I was able to for myself lately!!
I think I may have to borrow that book from you or get my hands on a copy somewhere because I think it may be time for me to read it as well.
Thanks for the enlightenment. It's been a dark day.

Ellen said...

I'd like to share a poem with you, if you don't mind me taking the space....

Some keep the Sabbath going to Church;
I keep it staying at home,
With a bobolink for a chorister,
And an orchard for a dome.

Some keep the Sabbath in surplice;
I just wear my wings,
And instead of tolling the bell for church,
Our little sexton sings.

God preaches,---a noted clergyman,
And the sermon is never long;
So instead of going to heaven at last,
I'm going all along!

~Emily Dickinson


Your last paragraph and independant spirit of organized religion reminded me of this.

awareness said...

Hi Sunny.... You're more than welcome to borrow the book. May I suggest another one I read last year? Philip Yancey's Soul Survivor was a very interesting read. In it, he relfects on his own re-emergence of faith while identifying the people who helped re-shape and influence it........it's his journey from growing up in a "exoskeleton" faith to one that is more internally driven (though he doesn't use those words). Each chapter highlights one individual......from Martin Luther King, to Tolstoy, to Henri Nouwen, to Paul Brand. It is the book that introduced me to Paul Brand and Henri Nouwen.....AND to Philip Yancey. His writing is very accessible and thought provoking. IN fact, I would say that his writing has influenced mine in many ways.

Ellen.........you are always welcome to take up space.....are you kidding? I always smile when I see that you have left a comment. This poem is a jewel. It is perfect. Thank you for sharing it......I had never read it before.

Enjoy your day everyone. It's raining like the Dickens here!!! Enough of the rain!!!