Wednesday, November 01, 2006

dogs and love


Yesterday during my work related travels, I was greeted by a shiny bouncy black Lab named Buck. Still a pup at 4 months, he was all tumbly legs and paws with a head a little too big for his growing body. I wasn't expecting such an enthusiastic and endearingly big eyed hello, but was thrilled nonetheless. I meet many dogs in my travels and there aren't many that I don't warm up to. How can you not? Dogs are the epitome of unconditional love. They are also patient teachers of sharing love too.

Buck was a present to the young man I met with yesterday. His brother gave him the dog in the summer after the young man was released from the rehabilitation centre in town where he was recooperating after a head injury from a car accident last March when he went off the road and catapulted into the ditch. Because he wasn't wearing a seatbelt, this young man went through the windshield, landing unconcious. It was the perfect gift. What a wise brother.

At the beginning of my session with the young man, Buck was insistent on maintaining our attention. Still teething, he was keen to tackle my long scarf and the cuff of my jacket as I trie
d to write down some information at the kitchen table. His puppy behaviour continued as the young man and his mother tried to discipline him. "Submission" and "obeying" are not in Buck's impulsive puppy vocabulary. Buck doesn't even get "no" yet.........not when there's a new face and a tasty looking scarf to tackle. However, his antics broke the ice right away, which in turn allowed my conversation with the young man (once Buck was marched down to his room) to start at a level more conducive to sharing his story than it would've without the puppy intrusion.

The young man, who is still in the stages of healing and regaining his long term memory, wants to work. We were meeting to look at his options, and to look at the possibilities available to him. When I asked him where he saw himself 5 years from now, the young man stated that he wanted to have a trade in carpentry, wanted to be working full-time, living in his own home and spending his weekends playing golf and going hunting with Buck. Nothing lofty......possibly attainable..........but he's basically starting from scratch because he can't remember his past.
It was evident though that with Buck's help, both directly and indirectly, his memories are returning. Yesterday for example, the young man started building a dog house. He told me that he doesn't know HOW he knows how to build things. He can't remember that part. But, as soon as he started on the project, the skills and knowledge automatically came to him. When he takes Buck for a walk in a neighbourhood he grew up in, he has moments of clarity when he looks at a house and remembers who lives in it.

Buck will force the young man out of his shell.............he will motivate him more than the young man realizes. Prior to the accident, the young man was irresponsible and lacked any kind of direction for his future. Living in the moment, grabbing a job here and there, he was biding his time partying and keeping his head in the sand. Now....... he is realizing that he needs to make decisions, to be responsible, to look towards his future which easily could've been snuffed out tragically.
We had a good first meeting. When I was leaving, Buck came barrelling out of the room to playfully say goodbye and to regain his buddy's full attention. Showing and sharing love.
I meet many families in my travels who are wounded for one reason or another. Trauma, heartbreaking life events, shit luck, addictions, abuse, illness.............wounds that need to heal. One thing I have learned time and again is the priceless therapeutic value a pet can have on an individual or a whole family........especially dogs. Not only that, some dogs have the ability to protect and alert a family member.......not just of physical intrusive danger, but even of an upcoming seizure. Pet therapy is more powerful than we give it credit for. That's why when I heard last week that there is a legislative policy in place indicating that a family is not allowed to have pets in public housing, I was appalled. That's right! No cats, birds, hamsters, gerbils, or dogs are allowed to move into public housing in this province..........even if it the animal has been identified as a "therapeutic" pet.
Good thing Buck lives with the young man and his family outside of the gates of the modern day almshouses...........and can run free teaching about giving and receiving love.
What about the families that have to live inside the gates?



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its sad that the benefits of having a pet aren't recognized in the public housing there - they have so much value. Great post of puppy love :)

awareness said...

Hi Layla. I find it appalling and archaic. And, I think this is a relatively new policy or they have decided to enforce it. I find it more than sad and I hope that someone makes a stink about it.

The House on Big Island said...

How do we ever even attempt to explain the complete and utter assinity that exists and drives the bureacratic realm which ultimately conceives of and then implements such preposterous rules.

One of my closest friends is CHLOE. She is a chocolate Labrador Retriever and only because I don't know how to upload pictures of her - they are not here!

CHLOE and I walk with each other and talk with each other every day. Please do not belittle this amazing creature's ability to both walk and talk - cause she has a vocabulary bigger and better than 30 percent of the human population that I run into, most days.

She is an unconditional lover and an amazing companion.

We found and adopted CHLOE about 18 months before we lost BOLLY. who was a blonde Labrador Retriever. She lived with us for 15 years.

One could never measure the depth of love we had for Bolly - as it was as a functioning member of our family that she lived a long and fruitful life.

The most difficult thing I have ever had to do was to decide when her life would end - to take her to that final destination and to hold her hand (paw) as she slowly, calmly and with love in her eyes, slipped away.

Anyone who cannot see how a relationship, such as this, can benefit and change the lives of those involved is quite frankly....

......a fool!

But then - it would not be the first time a fool has made the rules!

awareness said...

House.......I wholeheartedly agree.

Fools one and all........

Wendy Hoke said...

What a beautiful story! I love all animals, but right now I have a cat and a horse.

I was diagnosed with PTSD about 5 years ago. I am much better, but I know my cat helped me just as much as any therapist! And my horse knows when I am sad....he feels it and he responds.

Aren't animals wonderful! I hope the bill regarding public housing gets shot down.

WW

awareness said...

WW......... Animals are so important, I totally agree. The clientele I work with for the most part are suffering from many levels of depression. As well, their lives are often in crisis, financially, emotionally and spiritually. The very idea that a policy is in place to halt a healing process through owning a pet unnerves me.

Often, a pet is the only a companion a person has. I have known homeless people for example who have dogs. The homeless shelters don't often allow pets inside. They have chosen to sleep in the park over a warm bed. Now, to have this very rule placed on public housing.......it's seems to me to be against human rights.

We'll see where this issue heads....

BTW....my dog is very sensitive the the emotional level in my house too. When someone is upset or angry.........she gets all sheepish and smiles at you, while wagging her tail.....thump, thump on the floor. She's a joy.

Canadian Sentinel said...

Very good post.

I believe the client with the puppy will do ok. I see it happening. The family is there for him, as is the little furry guy.

Puppies are just sooo lovable, aren't they?

Haven't yet had a dog, but one day, I shall. Love the retrievers, particularly... I remember a golden in the downtown area who'd go to Tim's, walk up to the drive-thru window and pick up a donut for herself and a coffee for her owner... her name was Sammy and she was featured in a Tim's commercial. Ring a bell?

I agree that the state can be cold, impersonal, intimidating and ineffective on a human level. But thanks to people like yourself, Awareness, who genuinely care and are actually part of the state, there's hope for meaningful change. It doesn't take money; just understanding of what's important and some policy/regulation change. And maybe the procurement of pooper scoopers, just in case... ;)

Let's have more puppies! How can we not?? Everyone should have a doggy friend!

awareness said...

Thank you for your compliment CS. I try.........but.....

Obviously issues over pet ownership instigated this Dicksonian policy. There are irresponsible pet owners out there that's for sure. But honestly it shouldn't impact the rest who could obviously benefit from the love and interaction of a pet.

I do remember the Tim's commercial with the dog going through the drive through...........

Enjoy your day!

Canadian Sentinel said...

Of course, there's only so much one person can do.

More people doing good will spread goodness further.

The state, however, tends to claim to be the one that does good, and has over time, pushed many charitable organizations out of existence and taken so much tax money from folks as to make it much harder to find any money to donate to worthy causes, etc. Gov't programs are terribly innefficient and impersonal in contrast to direct personal giving and caring.

I lament the way people nowadays can say, "Sorry- I already gave half my income to the state. It's up to them to help y'all now. G'day, eh?" Liberal leftists and just regular folks of all kinds- they'd rather pay high taxes to corrupt, wasteful governments and say that it proves they care and have compassion. But the truth is that they often really couldn't give a shrew's bum about anyone but themselves. Pass the buck, someone else has to administer the caring for them. They effectively contract-out their caring to the state, which is nonsensical, as the state tends towards greed and waste, caring more about comfort for its many, many well-paid workers than about helping those they're paid to help.

No offence, Awareness, but unfortunately that's what I see happening. Civil servants, however much they care and may work hard (some don't, I know from experience in the civvy srvc), still are so far better off than I that I bristle when they go on strike over a few dollars or something little they don't like. You have no idea how crappy many workplaces (like mine, and my bosses are big-time, big-L Liberals who say they care, but about many important basic workplace issues they don't and can't be bothered about them, else they'll claim abject poverty, which I know is BS, as they take world cruises and stuff) can be, so I hope you can understand my position and why I get annoyed when there's strikes, particularly in the healthcare sector.

But that's an issue for another time... we're supposed to be talking about allowing our doggy friends to help people. Some dogs are better friends than some people, like, oh, a certain blonde billionairess I'll call "Belinda"...

Do enjoy your day, too! :)

awareness said...

OMG! CS! I have a front row seat to it! I couldn't agree more with you. And, as far as knowing the state of affairs with respect to the private sector jobs..........I see it over and over again.........many of my clients can't get out of the underemployed, working poor cycle......it's despicable.

However, you're right....we are trying to help the pets through the gate of public housing.......well except for that........what did Norman Spector call her.......bitch? Yeah......the diva......she's not allowed in.

BTW........Most strikes drive me bonkers...........

Canadian Sentinel said...

Strikes... and strikers, yes.

And talk about culture of entitlement, too... they almost had a strike where I was working last for the Feds... and one former co-worker emailed me and said to bring her some coffee while she was picketing! Funny, eh? No strike, but I would've required she get her coffee herself- how hard is it- not allowed to leave the picket line, eh? I see. Boohoo... I pay her salary via my taxes, she won't work for it, so why suggest I bring her coffee? Geez... some folks...

I just had a radical idea: strikers striking from striking, demanding their leaders allow secret ballots in a vote to end the strike... hmm... real democracy, secret ballotting in unions... guess I'm more progressive than poopheads like Buzzbrain Hargrove, eh? (Someone tell Buzz to get a haircut- the Eighties' quasi-mullet is long gone from fashion!)

At least I do have the ability to move on from mediocre working conditions with mediocre pay from mediocre bosses. I'm one of the lucky ones... have the education already and the know-how to go about the search... nothing stopping me but inertia and laziness, I believe.