Monday, March 06, 2006

March 8th.

This is going to be short and sweet. No verbosity tonight...........I'm working on that for a later post!

International Women's Day is on Wednesday. Why is it that everything I read, whether it's a new report on the "status of women," most likely by the Status of Women or another group that's PUBLICALLY FUNDED(????) or whether it's a local potluck soiree invitation to congregate with other women on the big day...............why is it that the day is never about a celebration of progress?

I have had it with the negativity. I have had it with the list of "women's issues" that supposedly highlight the only items/issues that women care about???

It is always a slam on the government, a slam on men, a slam on inequality to a point where it's outrageous overkill.

I am a feminist. I am a proud working mother feminist. I celebrate and acknowledge the men and women who fought hard for my right to vote, my right to choose any career I want, my right to equality in my country. I am a woman who cares about childcare issues AND the environment AND the economy, AND the political landscape in this country, AND our role internationally, AND who's going to win Survivor AND if the Blue Jays have a shot at the pennant.

And yet, International Women's Day.....................don't feel like I fit in. I don't aspire to be a Raging Granny I guess.

Enough said. This working feminist needs to go out and teach her son how to swing his bat properly, and then go change the tire on the van...........well maybe not the tires....but I know where you put the windshield washer fluid. I'll pay for someone to change the tires. I've got better things to do.

No comments: