Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Do we still need to roar?

Who are the women in your life who have made an impact on you? Who are the women in your life whom you have made an impact on?
As long as there are girls in this world who don't have equal access to an education, and to a path that allows them to make choices in the direction they choose to follow, as long as there are girls in this world who have no voice........we have the responsibility to speak out for their rights and teach them how to speak out for their own rights.
I am a strong believer in the work that the Canadian troops are doing in Afghanistan, if only to ensure that the Taliban never has the power to silence the women and girls in that country, and to take away their right to be independent in every way.
Today is International Women's Day. Take the opportunity to toast the strong women in your life, to consider the women you may have mentored along the way, to contemplate how you can make a considerable positive impact on a young girl in your life, and to remember that the rights we have as women in this country were fought for by others before us. I for one am thankful.
Just as important, never forget that there are many women around the globe who's lives are not their own.............who need our solidarity and strong leadership to help them fight for their rights.
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead."
"I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship." Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888),

1 comment:

Quilting Goddess said...

Sometimes we still do. Thanks for the comment, so true but I was inspired by your article about Hillier. I have you linked to my sidebar. I've really enjoyed you posts and you are right great minds think alike. Take care on this great day celebrating women.