Wednesday, January 25, 2006

McKenna, Leaving on a Jet Plane


Whoa! A mere few hours have passed since the Canadian election and Paul Martin's resignation. Harper's transition team met publicly for the first time today. And already the soup pot is being stirred. Frank McKenna beat Harper to the punch and handed in his resignation as Canadian Ambassador to the United States. Rightly so. Given their differences in political leanings and beliefs, it would be impossible to develop an effective partnership between the Prime Minister and the Ambassador that would be believed by the public. Here is a copy of his letter:



"Dear Mr. Harper,

I want to extend sincere congratulations on your success in today's election.

It was a hard-fought campaign and you have received a very significant vote of confidence from the Canadian public. I know the feeling of exhilaration when the people express confidence in your leadership and vision.

It has been a great privilege for me to serve as Canada's ambassador to the United States throughout the past year. I was most grateful for your personal support and that of your party during my committee hearing on the appointment. It has also been a tremendous personal satisfaction to have been able to serve with the outstanding men and women of this embassy and consulates across the United States of America. Canadians may not fully appreciate the strength and commitment of these dedicated public servants who serve our country so proudly.

I've always placed great value on the importance of the Canada-U.S. relationship, and, in a short period of time, have learned much about how this critical link can be improved and expanded. In that regard, I would be pleased to offer my full co-operation in sharing insights on management of the many significant and crucial issues that we deal with on a daily basis.

However, I believe you would agree that the enormous value of a political appointment to this position is based on the ability to work intimately with the Canadian government. It is this perception of closeness that provides a strong platform for the Canadian ambassador to advance Canada's interest.

While I would have no difficulty working with you or your government, it would be virtually impossible to establish the appearance of total confidence and support in a jurisdiction where political ambassadorial appointees traditionally resign immediately after an election.

Consequently, it is in the best interest of our nation that I submit to you my resignation as Canada's ambassador to the United States. I would be pleased to continue to serve until such time as a replacement is named or, I could depart more expeditiously if it is your wish.

With warmest personal regards and best wishes for a productive mandate.

Sincerely,

Frank McKenna"


Frank McKenna is a competitive political animal, with very good political instincts and timing. I bet he plays a mean game of chess. He may be saying that he hasn't decided to run for the leadership of the Federal Liberal Party. I don't believe it. He saw the writing on the wall. He has aspirations. His bags are packed and he's ready to head north....home to New Brunswick ...home to start planning for the run of his life.

See you at the Fredericton Market, Frank. I'll save you a Samosa.

No comments: