Wednesday, January 11, 2006

I Got my Fix............

I almost didn't do it. I almost passed on the opportunity. It seemed too much of a burden. Who has the time, I thought. Why make my life more hectic? Havent I been griping about wanting to pare things down......to simplify my world? Why have another beanbag tossed into the juggling circle that will fight for airspace with all my other work and familial obligations? Am I nuts?

No, I'm not nuts. I'm an addict. And like any addict, I needed a fix. Except, my fix isn't purchased in a back alley. I don't have to sneak out at midnight for a drive-by acquisition. Oh no! My fix is satisfied in front of a group of people teaching. And last night, after fretting, planning, sweating, worrying, working, thinking, writing, organizing, contemplating and preparing some more, I finally had my debut teaching a University Counselling course to a bunch of wide-eyed individuals. And it was an absolute high!

I have often compared teaching/facilitating to directing a play or organizing an event. Same skills, and actually same level of satisfaction for me. But there is an added attraction to teaching. You get to encourage critical thinking, the joy of learning and the opportunity for creative interaction......all the while allowing yourself to be a recipient of those activities as well.
William Glasser, the Reality Therapy/Choice Theory guru would state that I'm fulfilling some need that I have. It's true. I do have a high need for love and belonging......being connected to people and all that. But the real need that gets fulfilled (apart from the fact that I have a need to act out) is freedom. I am free to be me.....outgoing, outrageous, enthusiastic, emotionally open! That's me. Facilitating a course, especially on a topic that is close to my heart, is one of the most "freeing" activities that I have found.

However, I don't think my approach to teaching nor my methods of encouraging open-ended discussions, sharing jokes, being receptive to sharing personal stories etc, is the norm at the University. My previous teaching challenges have been with frontline staff or at the Community College where I taught many courses and was able to provide an informal environment to learning. I had few parameters to stay within. This time around, I have entered the "hall of academia," full of history and pomp and lecturing. Not my thing! My feeling is that University hasn't changed much since I attended. It's relatively staid. Professors stand in front of the room and drone on and on, oblivious to the incessant snoring occuring in the front row. So, when I came bounding into the classroom chatting about this and that before my course started, I was intially stared at in wonder.

But..........by the time the break was to take place..........I had one chatty group on my hands surprised that an hour and a half had already slipped by.

Last night, I found my "flow" again. Despite my overzealous anxiety beforehand that was brought on by not knowing even where the classroom was ahead of time and all those kind of details, once I walked into that classroom, the "fix was on." I was in the zone as I literally brought my work experiences and counselling stories from the real world into academia. And it worked. My teaching style, which has always felt like a tailored fit for interacting with adult learners, was well received.

As I gathered my materials at the end of the evening and walked out the door towards my car, one of my new students walked along with me. When we both turned in opposite directions to carry on, she said. "It was a good class. I really enjoyed it. Thanks. Have a wonderful week."

I don't think I could've felt any higher. It was a whirling, twirling, swirling feeling of bliss. And I almost passed up the chance to experience it. Nosirrreeeee........I can handle one more beanbag in my bag of tricks. It's well worth it.

“More important than the curriculum is the question of the methods of teaching and the spirit in which the teaching is given”
Bertrand Russell

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I didn't know you were teaching a course at UNB. Good stuff. If anybody could do it, it would be you. You have a wealth of knowledge and experience and such an infectious enthusiasm. Lucky students!

Linda

Anonymous said...

Guess you can take Muskie out of the camp, but not the camp out of Muskie