Monday, November 09, 2009

freedom


 Monday morning sky, November 9, 2009


Under the soft clouds quilted in miraculous hues, morning has broken. The infant sun sends rays to dapple light upon the fields across the river, gently touching treetops and chimneys curling smoke from woodstoves in warm busy kitchens. Streetlights, still burning night oil stand tall like candles on a landscape hearth that stretches along this part of the Saint John River Valley.


I am in awe as I stand on my quiet street to snap a few photos of the light show.  All is quiet.  The birds have moved on.  Trees stand bare on this November morning.... silouettes of their former selves. This air, fresh, crisp, not as cold as it could be fills my lungs as I happily give thanks to my life, and the freedom granted to me. 

Lucky me.  Why I am so lucky and others are not?  Do I even grasp how blessedly lucky I am to be able to take in the sunrise while standing freely in my thoughts, feelings and actions?    


We know nothing of freedom in this part of the world.  Freedom is only fully understood when you have lost it.  We are aware on one level........... thankful that for some reason we were graced with this gift.  Of freedom.  And for that awareness alone, we are responsible to fight for the rights and freedom of others.  Our gift to them. 


20 years ago today, the Berlin Wall came down.  It was a sunrise surprised by joy.  After 28 years imprisoned in barbed wire fear and concrete enclosure, freedom was granted.  

May we recognize this anniversary as a sunrise of possibilities..... as a motivator to work towards tearing down other heinous walls built by human beings that imprison other human beings. Let us all have the freedom to catch the glorious possibility of  the sunrise rather than feel too far away to be bathed by the beauty of the dawning of a new day.







7 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen!

Kay said...

absolutely beautiful!

BlazngScarlet said...

Breathtaking!

awareness said...

Thanks! The first photo was taken from my back deck looking over my neighbour's roof. The second photo was taken at the end of my driveway looking down my street. Stunning eh?

Dan F said...

Great photos

awareness said...

Thanks Dan. It was a beautiful morning. Aren't we blessed to be living in a place where the skies are so full of colour?

Savannah said...

You do manage to capture such lovely moments in time with both pictures and words Dana.

You are so right about freedom. It's not a luxury or a gift afforded to all of us and it's not always revered for the wonder that it is. Oh to just appreciate it before it is gone.