Monday, July 16, 2007

more than you know................

outstanding shasta
taking front row in garden of delight
shastas never grow alone
though they stand alone showing off their simplistic beauty
they always have companionship
intertwined at the roots.



_________

If
flowers depict the beauty of our soul
And
friendships reflect the image we share from our soul
Then
music is the harmony rising from our soul

one note accompanying another note

intertwined at the roots




Our songs, our hymns, our melodies envelope the moments we choose to remember, just like a photo can. They both have the capacity to stop time......... And when you hear the song, all the emotions you felt in that captured slice of your life rush back with the same intensity. Familiar places you may not have thought about for a long time.......familiar faces you had put away in the back of your mind..........resurrect in an instant, sometimes flooding you with feelings so REAL that it seems like you're right back there living the moment.
Most or perhaps ALL of our important relationships have an "our song" don't they? As do key events in our life. And as I write this, I am flooded by a cornucopia of tunes filtering through my memory bank.
Amazing.........an overture of connections with the people who intertwine at my roots.

............cue Mr. Piano Man please...............................




ps. thank you Katie for kickstarting my thinking today with your post.

5 comments:

BreadBox said...

Thrumpty-seve years ago, when I first got something approximating a walkman, I experienced, for the first time, my life with a soundtrack. And the soundtrack that day was Vivaldi's winter, from the Four Seasons. A marvellous discovery --- replaced gradually by a love, when I am in the country, of walking with the music of the world. In town, give me "Last train to glory" by Arlo Guthrie, or "The Mary Ellen Carter" by Stan Rogers.

In my life, with LOML, we have the theme from the Prairie Home Companion (the Tishomongo Blues, the real name of the song --- we think of it as "hear that old piano, from down the avenue"), the Jerome Kern standard "Folk who Live on the Hill": Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young's "Our House (is a very very very fine house)", etc....

LOML and I actually got permission from Garrison Keillor and the Prairie Home Companion folks to record the song from the show and play it as the first song at our wedding:-)

N.

awareness said...

Breadbox! Stan Rogers? good on ya!! Here's the last verse.....

"For we couldn't leave her there, you see, to crumble into scale.
She'd saved our lives so many times, living through the gale
And the laughing, drunken rats who left her to a sorry grave
They won't be laughing in another day. . .
And you, to whom adversity has dealt the final blow
With smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go
Turn to, and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain
And like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again.

Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken
And life about to end
No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend.
Like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again"

I love Stan Roger's songs....one of my favs is 45 Years from Now and Fogarty's Cove.

I love your list of songs....CSNY played a key role in my life repetoire....as is Neil Young.

Vivaldi is often played on Sunday mornings..... :)

Will search out Keillor's theme song....
thanks for your input.

BreadBox said...

I nearly harassed you the first day I found your blog about your lack of Stan Rogers on your profile! Other than that, it's a pretty good list:-)

Mary Ellen Carter is my lifeblood song. It keeps me from letting go when things go bad.
N.

awareness said...

What an oversight! Profile is now amended....whooosh....how could I have forgotten? I was listening to him just yesterday....

great choice for lifeblood song. Mine would have to be an old Billy Joel song....Summer Highland Falls. The song most connected to me is Harry Chapin's All My Life's a Circle.....it too is a lifeblood song....gee I think i have many...John Prine's That's the Way the World Goes Round....Lightfoot's Early Morning Rain....John Hiatt, Drive South....U2, Beautiful Day........Springsteen's whole Devil's and Dust CD......

Rainbow dreams said...

Dana, thank you, but your post is far more eloquenly written than mine ever could be...
music is such an integral part of life now I can hardly believe I lived without it for so long as a child...
I think art of all kinds can have a similar effect, though there is something stirring about music that goes far deeper.