Monday, July 23, 2007

what more can be said?

all front doors should be painted yellow....
they are the most welcoming


What more can be said about friendship that hasn't already been stated? It seems like a saturated topic doesn't it? Consequently, I struggle to find my own unique words to capture the essence of how I would describe what it means to me. Like many topics I tend to write about, I find my writing muse pre-occupied with it and until I can encapsulate at least a draft of my thinking it will stick in my craw until I do something about it. This muse of mine seems to go hand in hand with whatever I may be experiencing..........a kind of in the moment written rendition.........reflections of my life. It's how I've let my writing flow out of me......one thought, one theme at a time.......


so, here i sit wondering about friendship..........think I'll just turn on the word tap and see where this leads me............and quit thinking about finding something uniquely creative to package it in.


Last night 6 of us enjoyed dinner together. Our children, 5 in total, who have known one another since they were babies could be heard downstairs laughing and carrying on. It has been a whole year since the 11 of us were all under one roof and within moments of our reunion, we have found our way again. Uncomfortable pregnant pauses don't happen with this crew even though one of the families lives two provinces away and only head home to the Maritimes once a year. It's a natural comfort zone we all feel. It never fails. The conversation jumps and hops and slides around various topics, some of which we all take part in and some which naturally lend to pairing up to share. We all comment on how wonderful and magical it is..........both for ourselves and for our children who obviously enjoy each other's company as much as we do.


Much has taken place, and never enough time to fully catch up. So, we swayed from throwing out hilarious stories of times shared in the past to the deeply felt experiences we as individuals had since we last met up. Though it was one short evening, we will all converge in a couple of weeks on a beach on Prince Edward Island to simply hang out.......unplugged, unwired, away from phones and televisions.....escape. A much needed escape, especially this year.

My life of late has been a long lesson of managing upheaval, as has my immediate family's. The death of my in laws last month, though emotionally mindnumbing all on it's own is only a part of the story because we have lived for a very long time waiting and listening and dealing with one crisis after another because of their illnesses and needs. I don't know whether it would've been different had we lived in the same town or province.......if things could've been handled differently. Somehow I doubt it. Plus living away from it all offered us the reprieve needed to somehow cope with the complicated relationships involved in the drama. And, the drama isn't over yet. Soon, but not yet.

I have struggled with my feelings about it all. It doesn't matter what the feeling, it's been intense. Grief, anger, frustration, outright indignation, sadness, confusion, fatigue.......and hope. Hope that our lives will soon be our own. It seems like such a selfish thing to write, but if I am honest, I have to admit that the feeling of freedom and relief which feeds my hope is well deserved, as is my husband's similar feelings. We've endured this together.

One day, I will write this whole story.....for now? It needs to simmer..........

The friends we shared a lot of wine and song with last night know the story. They've heard it all as it unfolded. It wasn't one we needed to catch up on because they know the details. When they stated last night how much they want to help us escape it all during our vacation, it meant a lot. Sure, we'll talk about it...........feelings will be shared both as a group and one on one over a glass of wine watching the tide roll in and out. It may happen standing in the surf or going for a morning walk. Or it may not happen at all, because they know the stories. What it won't be is the central focus of our time together. The focus will be on the celebration of our 20 year friendships, on sharing our dreams and plans, and on having some silly giggling fun.

Another good friend sent me an email lately about friendship in it was this comment............Love is blind and friendship is clairvoyant. Perhaps it is. Good friends simply know, don't they? When you get to a point in a friendship where words are fully understood and sometimes not needed, where there is a freedom to share feelings and it's acceptable, when you know you matter......you know that this friendship is a lifetime one. And what a blessing that is.

9 comments:

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

There's an old Jewish saying that goes something like, "Who finds a faithful friend, finds a treasure."

What is a friend? According to that wise chap Aristotle it's a 'A single soul dwelling in two bodies.'

lovely post....

awareness said...

thanks paul. i like both of those sayings. treasures definately.
one day, i will find the right words to write about kindred spirits. they are a separate entity on their own. somehow different than best friends or lifetime friends. theres a dusting of transcendence in those unique connections. and they happen so rarely. a bit like grace.

BreadBox said...

Beautiful, Awareness: I like the musings on friendship from last night -- and especially your friend's email comment. Although I am not a spiritual person, nor a believer in things supernatural, I do believe that we can come to understand one another that even at a distance friends can just know.
I am extremely lucky that my best friends of many years are in the same continent --- having grown up in Europe, this is not to be expected --- and so I get to see them infrequently, but more often than any friends still over there.
I've led a life less geographically rooted than some: staying in places long enough to grow roots, leaving soon enough that the roots run a risk of shriveling after they are pulled up.
But F and I can still sit down, not having seen each other in two years, and continue the same conversation, pick up the strains of the same old songs.
I envy you your holiday with your friends: we will holiday likewise with new friends, and it will be wonderful, but not the same.
Thanks for a lovely post.
N.

Jenny said...

It's not selfish to want your life to be your own again. Life IS for the living, and to be with old friends/family... that honors those that have left us.

Nice post today.

awareness said...

breadbox...thanks. The friend who sent me the email is someone I've known since Grade 1. After I moved out to the Maritimes, we lost touch until I was "home" for the funeral in June. 20 years....!! and like your friend, we zoomed right back into an amazing conversation like no time had engulfed us. We're now in touch again AND she's a reader of my blog, right Bonnie?? :)
It's wonderful to have those people in our lives. It doesn't matter what the distances are, the magic will always be there.

Anon....Life is for the living, I agree. I actually don't feel selfish at all....it just looked like I was writing it out of context. We have dedicated so much of ourselves and of our energy over many many years......I am very ready to move on. Let freedom ring!!

St. Kevin & the Blackbird said...

See you loves in August.

Unknown said...

True friendship is entirely beautiful. I am so jealous (and yes, I mean jealous :) of the fact that you will be on a beach on PEI in a couple of weeks.

You put into words something that seems so hard to define. Thank you for this my friend.

awareness said...

Hey Robin...I tried to send you an email but it flung back at me...and since my friendship clairvoyancy doesn't seem to be working tonight......when are you going to be in Freddy town? Is it the weekend of the 18th?

awareness said...

Tori.....will hoist a cold one in your honour.....and say hi to Miss Shirley of Avonlea!! Oh, and Shining Waters....we're going to Shining Waters.....the new theme park?? Didn't I read on your blog you had something to say about theme parks?

Anyways..........will enthusiastically tackle the waterslide in your honour.

cheers :)