Friday, July 06, 2007

Anthem

even a beautiful harbour needs a sanctuary...especially at twilight




The birds they sang
at the break of day
Start again I heard them say
Don't dwell on what has passed away
or what is yet to be.

Ah the wars
they will be fought again
The holy dove
She will be caught again
bought and sold and bought again
the dove is never free.

Ring the bells
that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.



We asked for signs
the signs were sent:
the birth betrayed
the marriage spent
Yeah the widowhood
of every government --
signs for all to see.

I can't run no more
with that lawless crowd
while the killers in high places
say their prayers out loud.
But they've summoned,
they've summoned up a thundercloud
and they're going to hear from me.

Ring the bells that still can ring ...
You can add up the parts
but you won't have the sum
You can strike up the march,
there is no drum Every heart,
every heart to love
will come but like a refugee.



Ring the bells
that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack,
a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.



Ring the bells
that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack,
a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.
That's how the light gets in.
That's how the light gets in.



Leonard Cohen

Sometimes we see cracks as simply brokenness.........maybe we need to see cracks in a different light...........

7 comments:

paris parfait said...

Excellent point - Leonard Cohen does write some amazing lyrics, although I don't tend to think of his songs as hopeful, this one is. Thanks for sharing it today. xo

Rainbow dreams said...

Another reminder - I must get to listen to Leonard sometime - thought provoking lyrics...

carmilevy said...

Leonard Cohen always seems to sound and feel even better when accompanied by some other work of art. This picture qualifies. Took my breath away when I first saw it.

BTW, you'll like my Caption This tomorrow. I chose your caption as last week's topper.

Footpad said...

Wow! Amazing.

Thank you!

-- f

awareness said...

Tara.....yes, Cohen can be a bit of a downer, but this song/poem does have hope. I find when I read or hear his words I feel more hopeful than down.....maybe it's because of Cohen himself. His personality and his take on the world seems to come from a hopeful place despite his own personal ups and downs.

Hi katie.....yes, he is someone to savour.

Carmi....thank you!! Well! I always think my captions are a little too absurd or something. So, am pleased I scored this week!!
Thank you for the kudos on the pic. I took it just down the hill by the river from my home one night a couple of weeks ago.....and did nothing to make it look that way. It was a stunning night......just me and my dog got to see it from our vantage point too.

footpad.....glad you liked Leonard's beautiful words. He is a Canadian treasure...though i'm sure he would scoff at that very idea.

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

thank you....

awareness said...

my beautifully daft pleasure my friend.