Wednesday, July 08, 2009

morning has broken....


I didn't realize just how deprived I've felt without the colour blink from the sunrise. For three whole weeks, it was lost behind a hedge of rainclouds. Night would turn into day void of the glory peaking over the horizon. It simply happened like it was on monochromatic autopilot. A string of grey days accumulated, psychologically pushing down on our energy, dashing my hopes that the July summer heat and winds would never be felt ever ever again! The omnipresent humidity made everything feel swampy.

When you live in a country where sometimes the only thought that can get you to leave your home in the dead of winter on a morning when the icy daybreak hasn't even been contemplated by the universe is the heat of a summer day striking you like a restorative kiss, you feel so ripped off when the sun doesn't shine for long stretches.

Those days in January and February when you have to bundle up in layers of clothing....scarves wrapped around your neck and face to protect you from the automatic freeze...hats pulled down to your eyes....fur lined mittens and boots (oh, the thought just makes me feel heavy all over again), we Canadians think tropical thoughts. Beaches, sunrises....simple moments of sitting outside in the morning with a cup of coffee all pull us through the darkness. They are like flickering candles to walk towards.

This morning, I woke very very early. I'm still adjusting to returning to work routine hours, so my sleep schedule is messed up. The birds, which begin their symphonic wake up call at the point of transition from night to day seemed to be louder this morning. More joyful too. Or maybe it was my imagination. I'm grateful to them however. Because what I was offered was a gift of sunlight. THANK GOD!

With a hot cup of tea in hand.....and my camera close by, I watched the sun push the cloud lid up into the sky. Slowly at first, it crept up in a liminal swash of orange, with hue dapplings of reds and pinks on the underbelly of the clouds. Then, before you knew it, up popped the sun. For a moment, it balanced on the treetops across the river like the bouncing ball that used to dance above the lyrics of a song in a cartoon. The tune.........brought to you by some cheeky little chickdees, a few laconic bluejays and the bright yellow flitting of a family of finches.

Let the day begin..... the sun has finally returned. Just in time before we all lost our minds! And let me tell you. There's nothing more frightening than a bunch of "nice" Canadians deprived of Vitamin D. It's worse than confronting a grizzly after hibernation.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do get some quite spectacular sunrises in your part of the world. I hope you get some summer soon. I, on the other hand, am panicking because winter is nearly half over and summer will be here before I know it.

awareness said...

Stunner eh? Yeah, this is off my back deck...!
Today is beautiful...only big wispy clouds in the air.

murf said...

I hear you about lack of sunshine!! It's been dull and rainy here in Vancouver (no!) for the last 4 days and I am getting down-right cranky!! It's funny though, that a few days of sunshine gives all us Vancouverites amnesia. After a few days of UVA&B, ask any Vancouverite if it rains a lot here. They'll all say,"Naw, it doesn't rain that much here!!

Marja said...

I immediately got the song in my head when I read the title and can't get rid of it.
Anyway Dana that is absolutely magical What a stunning picture

a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

come toward the light...all are welcome :) beautiful, beautiful picture my friend! you see a lot of what i see....

awareness said...

Murf...Jamie's out in your neck of the woods this week. Prior to getting on the plane, Vancouver had been sunny and bright for a long stretch. He arrived to nothin' but grey skies and rain. Hopefully it will cheer up way out there again too.

Marja...we used to sing a version of this song as morning grace at the summer camp I worked at. I have always loved the song.

Irish Heather....I just got back from a walk with the dog up along the most pastoral and beautiful country road just up the hill from where I live. The sun was setting. I was surrounded by green fields and a vista to die for. Is this similar to where you live? I get that feeling when I see your photos.

Gilly said...

What fantastic sunrises you do get! Mind you, you need a good view to make the most of them. Ours, if we have them, get sort of lost behind a rather large sycamore tree!!

Does the "red sky in the morning, shepherds' warning" apply in Canada, or do you just get to enjoy them??

Your cold winter makes me think Brrr! But are our consistently dampt, cold grey, drizzly days any better? Not so many scarves or fut mitts/hats but even so......

awareness said...

Gilly....sorry I forgot to reply. Yes, our weather does follow the little poem.... here it is said.

Red sky at night,
sailor's delight
Red sky in the morning,
sailor's take warning.

It's usually correct. The sky yesterday morning most definately had a lot of red in it, and i wondered if the day would turn on its head again and rain. But, it didn't. It cleared up by the end of the day. Today? Unbelievable! Sunny, big fluffy clouds and the temps were perfect. No humidity in the air. loved it....

oh, and the sunset? Startling!