Saturday, April 11, 2009

rockin' in the free world....




There are only a handful of singers who frame my youth like this man. Whenever I listen to his music, especially the old gems from the 70's, I am completely transported back to a place I hold near and dear to my heart.....a wonderful summer camp on the shores of Big Hawk Lake, where love and laughter, tears and learning, sweet surrendering nights, big starry skies.....a place where friendships were born and continue on today. Camp Kawabi was where I first heard Neil Young. Tonight, for the first time ever, I will get to see him live. I can't believe it's taken this long to attend one of his concerts.....

And when the chords for this song are struck, I will most likely be smiling a big goofy smile with tears in my eyes thinking about one particular night before the campers arrived when three very good friends had Camp Kawabi to ourselves. We sat on the porch drinking a beer, listening to this on the old stereo......

Comes a Time.........when we're driftin....Keeps me searchin' for a heart of gold....

bring out the harmonica Neil....I'm on my way. ! :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dana:
I wish I had said to hell with the cost and my husband and I had gone.
He use to play and sing Neil Young to me and for me when we were just kids in high school.

I've been in my mind,
it's such a fine line
That keeps me searching
for a heart of gold
And I'm getting old.

Lucky you

Mavis

urbanmonk said...

Im of the Kurt Cobain (grungy gen exers) generation, who all looked to Neil as the Grandfather of Grunge...or is it uncle? not sure... but I love pochahontas, heart of Gold and Old Man!!

The House on Big Island said...

I too wish I could be there!!!

DAISY.... (this one still holds me breathless)


There is a town in north Ontario,
With dream comfort memory to spare,
And in my mind
I still need a place to go,
All my changes were there.

Blue, blue windows behind the stars,
Yellow moon on the rise,
Big birds flying across the sky,
Throwing shadows on our eyes.
Leave us

Helpless, helpless, helpless

awareness said...

hey Mavis! The crowd was predominantly our age! He played Heart of Gold and everyone sang along. :)

Monk...Grandfather I think!! He's looking as grungy as you would expect...not one to care about how he looked. He played all three of those songs....and played mostly rockin' tunes as opposed to the accoustic. He's so eclectic music wise that I had no clue what genre he would play mostly. I was disappointed he didn't play Harvest or Harvest Moon...OR Comes a Time!! However, the encore song???? Rockin in the Free World and he kept playing the chorus over and over. The place went nuts! Great fun.

Amazing how well he continues to play the guitar.

Daisy...I love that song too, and almost put that one up here. He didn't play it though... :( And I guess the songlist from last night's Halifax show was different than tonights....I think he just goes with how he feels.

Anonymous said...

I saw him recently when he was in Sydney and he was FANTASTIC. You are going to love the show!

Walker said...

I am a Neil Young fan and have many of his songs on my IPOD

On a limb with Claudia said...

I have songs like that. Bring back the memories and the time. One for me (don't laugh) is Please Come to Boston - guarenteed to make me weep!

((hug))

awareness said...

Selma...the concert was classic Young. I had hoped he would play more acoustic, but he went the rockin' route instead....many long guitar riffs at the end with his band. The venue was relatively small, so everyone had great seats. But, when I went up closer to the front, I was more into it than just sitting. I can't sit at a concert!

Walker...he is in the fabric of this country isn't he? Even though he is loved internationally and has lived in the States for a long time, he still is a lad from North Ontario. :)

Claudia...I can see how that song strikes a chord....we are around the same age I think. Many of my girlfriends from high school loved that song.