Sunday, April 26, 2009

comfort in searching....


Out on the highways and the by-ways all alone
I'm still searching for, searching for my home
Up in the morning, up in the morning out on the road
And my head is aching and my hands are cold
And I'm looking for the silver lining, silver lining in the clouds
And I'm searching for and
I'm searching for the philosophers stone
And it's a hard road, Its a hard road daddy-o
When my job is turning lead into gold
He was born in the back street, born in the back street Jelly Roll
I'm on the road again and I'm searching for
The philosophers stone
Can you hear that engine
Woe can you hear that engine drone
Well I'm on the road again and I'm searching for
Searching for the philosophers stone

Up in the morning, up in the morning
When the streets are white with snow
It's a hard road, it's a hard road daddy-o
Up in the morning, up in the morning
Out on the job
Well you've got me searching for
Searching for, the philosophers stone
Even my best friends, even my best friends they don't know
That my job is turning lead into gold
When you hear that engine, when you hear that engine drone
I'm on the road again and I'm searching for the philosophers stone

It's a hard road even my best friends they don't know
And I'm searching for, searching for the philosophers stone

Van Morrison.


This song fills the air around me on days when I need to listen to it. Inspirational, knowing....it captures much of how I see life's journey. Today, I have Van to affirm my unbridled yearnings to continue to seek out the philosopher's stone.....to accept my role in turning lead into gold and in trying to help others learn to do the same.

Comfort is found in the most interesting places....not just in joy.....not just in the passionate blues..... but in the silver lining thinness of our expansive imagination. We are only bridled when we turn away from our purpose. We are only bridled when we allow ourselves to be held hostage to our resentments. We remain bridled if we choose to stay enclosed in a room where we can't find our breath. It is when we are out on the road, out on the road where the spirit of our breath allows us to exhale making room for fresh air forgiveness and the sweetness of surrender.

ps. I couldn't find the song on Youtube, but if you've never heard this song, I'd highly recommend I-tuning it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

'We are only bridled when we allow ourselves to be held hostage to our resentments' - every time I come here I find a gem like that. It is so true, when I veer off the path I should be on, that's when the trouble starts. You have such a knack for clarifying my thoughts.

JP/deb said...

It seems so fitting that I read this whilst listening to Van Morrison (Someone Like You) ... it is good to be here, to read your words, and to be a passenger on this part of your journey.

I too am sorry I haven't been more in touch ... I will change that!

We are only bridled when we allow ourselves to be held hostage to our resentments. I saw Carrie Fisher's one woman show last night & she ended with a few words of wisdom ... bitterness (or resentment) is a poison you swallow and expect the other person to die. Be unbridled!

Peace & love,
Deb

awareness said...

Selma...it's how i clarify my own too. thanks.

Deb...Van Morrison should be Sunday fare all the time I think. I look forward to reading about your own new journey as well.

Mark said...

Excellent song and wise thoughts! Yes we choose the bridle we wear and we can choose to throw it off and be free!