Saturday, February 07, 2009

Late morning on Grand Lake Road....



".....being attentive to the times of the day: when the birds began to sing, and the deer came out of the morning fog, and the sun came up. The reason why we don't take time is a feeling that we have to keep moving. This is the real sickness. We live in the fullness of time. Every moment is God's own good time, His kairos. The whole thing boils down to giving ourselves in prayer a chance to realize that we have what we seek. We don't have to rush after it. It was there all the time, and if we give it time, it will make itself known to us."
Thomas Merton
On the way back to my office, I took the road less travelled along the shore of Grand Lake where the summer cottages were all tucked in and closed up until the thaw. No one else was on the snow covered road. It was just me and the sweet music which surrounded me with smiling life. The big evergreens, their brances laden in white stood stoically while the sun filtered down through the spaces between them. Music inside my van, silence in the hibernating outdoors.
At one point, you drive through a cathedral of tall pine which encloses the road on both sides. They stand tall and straight like a welcoming line of well wishers, so close that the sun has few cracks to penetrate its light through. I always feel like I should slow right down as I drive along as a way of saluting back to these trees. And as I slowed down, I was struck by the beauty of the sun filtering through the branches. I stepped out of the car, away from the music and stood in the middle of the empty road....in silent reverence. I didn't want to leave.

8 comments:

The House on Big Island said...

I'd like to visit Grand Lake Road....someday - It looks wonderful.

Still working on some notes and chords for Can You be My Somebody Closer - won't be long, I hope.

awareness said...

DAISY! I knew I could count on you, you beautiful dreamer you! I can't wait to hear it. :0)

Grand Lake Road always, always reminds me of the old Halls Lake road....it has the same tiny cottages squished up on the sides of the road and along the beach side too. It has the same pine scents as Kawabi...and the lake is beautiful. I have a picture I took the other day too of one single snowmobile track on it...will post it tomorrow. It looks and feels like Haliburton and its only 30 minutes from home.

cant wait!

Light and Voices said...

Your header touches my soul. Your words about your visit to Grand Lake Road does the same thing. You are a Master at Words! I will remember that photo you took forever.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

What a magical place. I am spellbound imagining it. A place where anything is possible...

myrtle beached whale said...

I was with you on your journey until you lost me at "closed up until the thaw." That would indicate cold. I don't do cold.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

It sounds like a true meditation, my dear...! Oh how I'd love to see a picture of that very place you stopped at.....!

Your evening sounds like such fun!
A '50's Party....And even watching a Vintage TV Show....Great Great Fun, my dear.

Do be sure to go to CQ's "Virtual" Party....I know it will be great fun!

awareness said...

Joyce, thank you. I don't know what to say...:) the header photo is of a glass candle holder (flat and square for votives) I have on my dining room table. the pic makes it looks so big and elegant...! when I took a series of shots, it was one of those moments when i knew i'd captured a goodie.

Selma...it did feel magical that morning for a moment. a little wink of grace.

Rick...will post the frozen lake shots for you. Yes my friend, it was cold... Here's the kicker. These past few days (I took this photo on Thursday) have felt balmy. Instead of -35 celcius, it has been hovering more around -10 and this is mentioned by most people when they say they are GLAD its warmed up!!
Thaw comes in April....we have a long way to go....SO, you'll have to visit in the summer or fall. The autumn is amazingly beautiful up here...like Maine.

Naomi...I have one! Will send it to you, ok? It's such a pretty spot year round really. I will be posting some with blog piece as well.

Independent Chick said...

That is an amazing picture. I think there were angels there...beautiful.