Thursday, September 06, 2007


“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.” -The Dalai Lama



I seem to be sitting on a precipice of sorts wondering where I will head with respect to many aspects of my wavering faith. High up on a ledge I sit, my legs dangling in the air....and with every breath I encounter a new question, a new doubt which leaves me baffled and lost. If only I could wake up one morning in a state of assurance instead of suspended belief. Do I need proof to cross the line from spiritual abyss to some sense of spiritual maturity? When does one know when they have developed a level of spiritual maturity? What is spiritual maturity anyways? What does it look like? I've read the term inserted in various essays and books I have picked up over the past couple of years and yet I have never questioned it until now.



My closed minded stubborness which kept the God door firmly closed for so many years completely arrested any learning or development in understanding religion. Give me proof or piss off was my attitude. I wanted hard facts...........an observed miracle........a clear sign.......a personal encounter to kick open the deadbolted door which stood between my heart and God. It didn't happen. My belief that faith needed proof suspended all and any spiritual growth.



Nothing monumental occured........no bolts of lightening, no visits from the Virgin Mary, no whispers from God happened to me when I first noticed the light filtering through the door again. It was a combination of smaller moments which arrived at a point in my life when I felt vulnerable, when my guard was down that offered the hope of possibility. I had stopped searching long ago and yet, I was holding the door closed with all my might up until this point. When I finally sat back to take a rest or maybe it was to surrender the tug of war I was having with faith versus proof........all of a sudden I began to wonder about the mystery again. I also realized how much of my energy was being wasted on keeping the Holy Spirit at bay instead of using it to ponder, question, listen..................to be open to wondering.....to be open to expanding my understanding of love.....to letting my actions as a human being be led by love for my fellow man.



Since then, I have wandered not so aimlessly asking many questions and finding some answers. And yet, I still sit outside of the formality of the church setting........high on a ledge with my legs dangling. Is it time to take a plunge? Is it time to expand my spiritual growth to become a member again within a congregation?



One of the awakening insights I had earlier on was that it didn't matter if I knew my faith was unwavering. It didn't matter if I didn't know the words to prayers or the scriptures which I learned as a young adult. The words and the stories would find me in time. No rush, because religion and spirituality is a journey and not a clear destination. I guess that's what spiritual maturity means. Human development is comprised of learning and personal growth.....emotionally, cognitively, physical and spiritually. It never stops. Our inquisitive nature feeds the need to ask, ponder, listen, absorb, wonder and wander. Spiritual maturity has no end. One doesn't receive a diploma when one achieves this milestone because it is infinitely expansive as the heavens. A degree in spiritual maturity doesn't exist even if you read every blessed purpose driven book out there.



It's all in the living..............isn't it? Living and sharing our love?



As much as I would like to continue being the captain of my own learning,of my own pace I do feel a void. I feel the need to sit in a church on a regular basis, to take part in the rituals and the flow of the service again. I need the familiarity of how it was and is and will be. Whether I find this right away or not, I think it's time to take another step out of the wilderness in order to seek out another signpost. Maybe I'll stand up on the ledge and taken a plunge, but make sure I have a harness on just in case?



I believe I'm ready to find the right pew. I wonder if they are ready for me?








9 comments:

Shaz said...

Im sure youll be welcomed with open arms.
No lighting bolts here either and total contentment, I haven't yet found it, but I do believe that it is a journey and it is at your own pace.
I also wish I could recite scripture for comfort but I do feel his presence and warmth and trust that Im on the right path even if I have much to learn. xxx

Rainbow dreams said...

Spiritual immaturity would seem to be a place where more growth occurs, more searching and more questions...
and all kinds of things feed us - I hope your church does exactly that - feed your need and desire.

Often I feel like I am sitting with my legs dangling - and now and again I venture back into church, think I will be forever searching, perhaps we all are,

Katie
xx

Rainbow dreams said...

sorry Dana, should have thought more about how my thoughts came out...was more of a mixed up personal reflection...

thinking that if it is a spectrum, I find myself more towards the spiritual immature side of it... and was also thinking that thats ok by me if it leads to more learning and growth..though I can't say as I like the phrase...
x

awareness said...

shaz.......right on. sometimes i forget those comforting thoughts. I think I need to figure out really what is causing the fear inside me to make the next step.
Katie....most of my posts are mixed up personal reflections, no need to worry... :)
I don't know if I like the phrase or not either. I'm thinking that I'd like to define spiritual maturity as a place where we find ourselves as adults open to unravelling some of the mystery, and of accepting that our role in this big old goofy world of ours is to learn to love unconditionally just like that carpenter guy Paul keeps mentioning........using Jesus' lessons as our guide to understanding the human condition and hopefully making this world a better place than how we found it.

Jonathon Morgan said...

I find myself waiting for the lightning bolt too. Every once in awhile I think it might have struck...only to discover later that I stll have no idea what's going on.

awareness said...

welcome jonathon....yeah, I wish the bolt would accompany more than a blink of a glimpse.

mks said...

Hello - It's my first time here - cameon over from Sunday Scribblings and have been reading for an hour. I was raised Catholic and still believe but at the same time two of the most spiritually fulfilling years of my life came from when I practiced Buddhism. I have hiccups in each belief system and so I vacillate back and forth between the two as I feel the need. May you find what you seek on your journey and enjoy the journey along the way!

awareness said...

Welcome mks.....I was baptised and confirmed in the United Church, have dabbled in other churches closely related, though lately have been reading a lot about Buddhism, Unitarianism, Anglicanism as well as Catholicism. It's all very interesting and would love to combine the best of all....:)

My plan right now is to enjoy the journey because I do believe I will find what I seek (though it seems to change as often as my mind) if I stay open to the learning.

Kamsin said...

I've been struggling a lot with church membership lately. I don't like the idea that church structures often create a list of boxes to tick which demonstrate whether or not you've reached spiritual maturity, when in reality the journey is way more complex than that. Lately I've been thinking a church is a bit like a dysfunctional family with all kinds of issues and problems, but somehow life is easier when there's a place you belong.