Sunday, June 01, 2008

whimsy


The best toys are the ones which allow us to vibrate with creative juices that flow happily onto the canvas of our lives. A heightened awareness, a turning on of possibilities..........a motivator to generate open expression of passion. Toys can offer the avenue to share some fun through interacting and focusing on open ended excitement. Even the most staid looking invention that seems to have only a one speed kind of function can be altered simply by using one's imagination.....by feeding our thought horizons with some whimsy. Turn on the imagination, and let whimsy be the guide.
When I was a child, I remember playing in the tall grass and fallen leaves at the back of the yard near the creek. At first glance, the area didn't look like it had any potential for whimsical adventures. And yet, we played back there for hours raking up the leaves and stomping down the grass to form rooms in a make believe home...........designing a sacred place where we acted out various scenarios.......playing house, playing school.............acting, plotting, planning.....just having fun.
Have you ever watched a young child on Christmas morning after the presents have been opened? There they are surrounded by dust collecting huggable toys or battery operated thing-a-ma-jigs......stuff they wanted even.........and yet they are more fascinated by the boxes?? Did you ever have a chance to play in a LARGE box that used to hold an appliance? Sure it was fun for a while to turn it into a hiding place, but then it became a tool for open ended ideas. The ends were opened up. Some windows were carved out of the side. Sometimes the exterior was painted or drawn up. It became a house, a tunnel, a slide.............whimsy was the culprit. Whimsy breaks open the possibilities.
As adults, we seem to suffocate our whimsy to a large extent. It's not something usually invited to big important grown up meetings. It's not allowed to attend serious performances as an audience member. Churches aren't too big on allowing whimsy to take a seat in the pew.....too darn unpredictable. And when unpredictable whimsy alights, well...................people get scared of what may happen, of being embarrassed by it's delightful nature.
Whimsy is an oddfellow.............and yet we suck up it's sweetness when we can let go and be creative beings. We welcome it into our lives when we need an outlet, when we have acquired a new idea seed to enlighten our passions. Personally, I keep whimsy close by because I love how it stirs me into new worlds of creativity. I love finding another seeker of whimsy as well because it's meant to be shared............a delightful alight.......... Yes, whimsy performs best outside of the box, away from institutional thinking and structures where liturgy is expected to remain rigid and unmoving. She likes wide open spaces best.
Any creative open-ended project, plan, approach needs someone to step outside of their world and their thinking in order to let the possibilities churn. If that someone can find themselves out in their own margins of thinking, they will be warmly welcomed by whimsy.....a bright colourful animator of fun who loves to shake things up a bit. And on this Sunday morning as I contemplate the importance of illogical, spontaneous, colourful whimsy as the catalyst of creation, I'm thinking that perhaps God is her strongest advocate.
Look around!! Do you think He would've been able to create the endless beauty we have around us if He wasn't a whimsy believer? No way! In fact, I wouldn't hesitate to suggest that not only did God call upon whimsy as his interior and exterior decorator, He thoroughly enjoyed learning how to colour outside of the margins.
Whimsy is our best friend and will continue to be loyal as long as you recognize her need to be included in colouring our lives. Take her on.....show her off! Wear her with pride...........let her paint the canvas of your life....
batteries and any foreseen shyness are not included........anyone for pole dancing? I hear theres a Princess out there willing to show us how! All as a means for good wholesome exercise of course. Oh, and when she visited me lately, she informed me of a whimsical new game to play with firefighters....i've heard of lawn darts.........but arse darts? I love her whimsy side.
Hey Princess? Can I wear my new leggings pole dancing? It would make me feel sarahdipitous no doubt.

14 comments:

Rainbow dreams said...

I wondered exactly what toys you were on about there at the start... ;)lol even re reading I couldn't be sure you weren't referring to the toyshops in Soho!

I'd love to learn to pole dance - shame I'm oceans away! And summer games with firemen... I think I might need a whole lot of practice at arse darts... just to perfect my technique!

oh and did you know they have to work out for whole hour every day???? :)

apologies if I have lowered the tone of your blog... but I swear it was you who started it! x

now I'll go back and read your article properly.... was distracted...

JP/deb said...

What a great ode to whimsy! I too stomped down tall grasses as a child and created make believe rooms ... what a fun memory! Happy Sunday. xx, JP/deb

Rainbow dreams said...

Whimsy is good... seriously... :)

imagination running riot is creative and at it's best... John O'Donohue says a lot about imagination and beauty.... says it awakens the wildness of the heart, and that it retains the grace of innocence and is willing to see new possibilities in what appears to be fixed and framed... amongst other things...

definitely keep the whimsy :)

kenju said...

I lost my comment!

Love the leggings and the shoes, and I remember all too well how my children gravitated to the boxes and wrapping paper/ribbon on holidays!

awareness said...

Katie....soho came to mind.

Deb...it was great fun. we used to build rafts for the creek too and spent hours messing around back there as kids. though it was only behind my backyard, it seemed like miles away.

Katie again....hope you're practising your arse darts. However one needs a "toonie" to take part.....they only have those here in Canada. :)

Judy....love them too! Unfortunately they aren't mine! I have taken photos of this person's leggings a couple of times....they are always different and they fascinate me. I'm collecting pics for a future retrospective and this person doesn't even know it! Thought I'd show her after I collect about 10 different pics. She knows whimsy well.

Rainbow dreams said...

lol I want to know how you play...
so, being curious, I googled arse darts and guess whose blog came up??

have now watched a you tube clip of arse darts but don't think it's quite right - no toonies involved in that one!
I am supposed to be sorting lesson plans out and injuries from dart practice is not on the list ;)

awareness said...

Katie....you'll have to ask the princess.

swilek said...

loved this post! i keep whimsy close to my heart too and am an big advocate for it! yes, i believe God is whimsical!!:) we adults need to learn to let go of our inhibitions and be free to experience whimsy again...it is soooo refreshing and rewarding!

Under there... said...

I was going to try to say something profound...but lost that between the colorful leggies (had to google toy shops in soho---Oohh) and arse darts. You now, now I am blushing in a whimisical sort of way!

awareness said...

swile....welcome. Glad you enjoyed it and left a comment. I appreciate your enthusiasm! Let whimsy be your guide.

Tim...yes, the piece took a turn to soho after katie's first comment! :)
Arent the leggings great? Will one day post all my legging photos....it's always the same model....she is very very creative and whimiscal.
Seuss-like actually.

carmilevy said...

I've long wondered why the sparklingly whimsical world that we live as children is allowed to erode to something decidedly more gray-shaded by the time we reach adulthood. I didn't understand it as a child, and I understand it even less now that I'm a supposed adult with children of my own.

Bless you for asking the question and exploring some possible answers.

I'm so sorry I have been completely clued out of what's going on on your end of the Trans-Canada. I've been so focused on my own little travails in life that I've ignored yours. Please know your husband's in my prayers for an immediate and full recovery. You need your muse. We need the perspectives that result from that.

awareness said...

Carmi....thank you for your concern. it all happened so out of the blue and so quickly that many didn't know.....we received a few phone calls even yesterday from friends who were out of the loop and not normally. :) Jamie is fully recovered physically. he has an MRI tomorrow just to make sure all is well and this will go far in calming his inner thoughts. He's tired, but on the mend and hopes to return to work in a couple of weeks.

our whimsy........we need to keep an eye on the kiddies! also, i think we need to applaud the adults in our world who are open to sharing their whimisical nature and not dismiss them as too kooky...and then follow their lead!

The Original Princess said...

You KNOW you can wear them!!

awareness said...

hey princess! i lured you off your throne! love it! ;)

glad to know....will do! it looks like a party is being arranged....i passed on your business card at the luncheon last friday.....big interest in the pole thing. oneness blessings beforehand and then tequila and poles....bring it on!

will steal the leggings from the leggings girl and wear them, sans les autres vetements!