Friday, June 06, 2008

an evensong for a special friend


settling silence

new to the air once filled with

strummed songs sung in harmonious inebriation

animated hilarity soaked in remember whens

crowd circled catch ups of stories

carrying a fabric woven together

in late night star threads

and fluming plumes of smoke littered in crackling sparks

laughter from the step dancing fire

drawing us nearer into glowing merriment.

Now, as the embers die down

voices find hushed tones

quiet cadences capture late night truths

steeped in sleep as they slip away from the firecircle

into the cooling dark

leaving us lost in our own unchartered time.

I just wanna go on with you....

huddled in hip touching intimacy

our lips whispering truths

only spoken when honesty finds eternity

near the pulling tides of time.

I just wanna go on with you

into the late night

where treasured secrets feed the glowing red embers

of barefoot cuddled warmth under a sandy blanket

We'll feed the fire

and settle into the new silence

before dawn steals the mystery

when our own embracing sleep will find us.

Written for Sunday Scribblings with youthful remembrance. The prompt this week is "my nights." For more offerings, check out their site.

11 comments:

Linda Jacobs said...

This is beautifully woven! I love how one scene blends into the next just like those flames.

So many wonderful images!

anthonynorth said...

That was a beautiful piece. Floaty, and full of remembrances for us all, I think.
And many thanks for your kind comment on my blog.

Granny Smith said...

What an evocative poem! It feeds into our collective memory. Who hasn't been warmed by that fire?

Tammie Lee said...

you have a wonderful way with words

awareness said...

Linda...thank you, wonderful feedback for me and coming from an English teacher, I am pleased, pleased because that we my intention. I was trying to find the right rhythm to mimic the flames.

Tony....thank you. I love how the prompts can sometimes transport us into a memory from far away land and drop us right into the emotion of it. This one flew me right there.

granny....it is a collective memory isn't? I love that........it is the sense of belonging to and loving.....companionship and the stopping of time....even for a moment.


tammie.....thank you. I stumbled a bit on this one and am not completely satisfied with it yet, but will let it find it's grounding and then I will return with a new set of eyes and ears.

Devil Mood said...

Hey, I've missed your posts!
This one is lovely, I like the intimacy that only nights can bring.

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

"I just wanna go on with you
into the late night

where treasured secrets feed the glowing red embers

of barefoot cuddled warmth under a sandy blanket."

Great line!!

gautami tripathy said...

You took me back on time!

nocturnal

Marja said...

Wow It captures the spirit of a cam[fire in elevating words. Excellent

awareness said...

Devil....me too! when i read the prompt, i was somewhat taken aback because i had been thinking all week trying to figure out when I had pulled an all nighter that wasn't tied to dealing with a sick child or fretting over something.......plus i was supposed to be at a reunion this weekend with friends whom I have spent many late night/all nights with.....the prompt and the thoughts came together at just the right time for a capturing of a memory.

smallworld....thank you. It's definatel the line I'm most enamoured with, and will most likely tinker with the beginning to make it flow to that point. But, it's captured now in first draft and will simmer for a bit.

gautami.....I'm thrilled it did that for you.....our collective memory of our youth is quite amazing isn't it? It doesn't matter where we grew up, there are some moments which cross over datelines and terrain.

Marja....campfires are my favourite summer activity....I wrote this on Friday evening knowing I was missing one with a bunch of kindreds who are altogether again for a weekend of fun. I was feeling very nostalgic and wistful.

DJPare said...

Very nice!
I was sitting near the fire with you - well done.