Wednesday, June 11, 2008

pink delight

Summer is upon us in this part of the big old goofy world. And what's summer without carnivals and festivals chock full of tasty sweet treats?
Carmi, over at Written Inc. has started a weekly photography activity with different themes every week. This week's is favourite snack food.
Now cotton candy isn't my favourite..........not even when I attend a carnival. I'm a sno-cone lover......LOVE slurping on a lime green ice shavings. Who doesn't? yuuuuuummmmmmmmy......
However........ I took this shot at the Saint John market last fall......the colours and the orderliness of the packaging caught my eye. I found it strange to see cotton candy all gourmet like when it should be created in front of your eyes in one of those magical machines found in a scruffy old stall run by a tired looking Carni with a cigarette butt pinched between his lips........oblivious to the ashes dropping everywhere while he swirls the paper cone to catch the pink sugary wisps for your delectable pleasure.
I guess these sterile lovable bags of spun sugar are for another targetted market? The wistful yuppie who has rose coloured memories of their sticking fingered gooey trips to their local circus......? Interesting how memories take on a life of their own.
For more interesting photos on favourite treats, as well as wonderful other photos and stories, please visit Carmi's blog. He's a very friendly Canuck with a good eye, a big heart and a love of capturing life all around him.

3 comments:

Texasholly said...

Cool pic. Love the pink.

Kate's Typewriter said...

that's a fantastic picture!!!
I LOVE cotton candy... and maybe because after you eat it, you HAVE to take a nap while your body recovers... :)

awareness said...

hrh...thanks. i have a bit of an aversion to the colour. it seems so unnatural to me....it also reminds me of all food thats bad for you too and I like that thought.

kate....yes, you surely do.....thanksgiving turkey does the same thing. how weird.