Sunday, March 30, 2008

Prince Edward Island.



Conversation in my house today turned to summer plans, which we havent really paid much attention to yet as there have been so many other events and activities to focus on this spring. Predictably, the topic of Prince Edward Island was brought up because it is a favourite destination every August for at least a handful of days. The place we have gone to in the past 5 or 6 years is actually off the beaten path, away from Avonlea and Cavendish where the tourists flock by the thousands of camper vans full. But, nothing on PEI is very far to travel to.
I took the above photo on a quiet Sunday morning.....early...........I had the beach to myself. There wasn't much of a breeze and the only sounds were the seagulls and the cottager behind where i was perched on a large rock who was in his cottage playing the blues on his sax.
Up to three other families have joined us at the same time, in an area where one of our friends has a family cottage.....an area he knows well because this is where his roots are. We all rent our own cottages.........the bare necessity kind of cottages, all within a baseball throw from one another.......ALL with views of the beach, the sunsets, the spectacular every changing sea and sky vistas...........where the wind blows familiarity and rejuvenation. This is my daughter Martha.



The beaches in this area rarely have many other visitors except the handfull of cottagers who seem to frequent mostly on the weekends. There is space, space, space. This is a place of serenity, companionship, good walks, great talks.................lots of shared meals and sometimes a rousing game of bocchi on the beach or wiffle ball behind the cottage. Its a place where the wine flows, the beer is cold, the music is on........... where kite flying end ups being a two hour gabfest standing in a field overlooking heaven. Right, Helen? :)






It is also the place where writing found me again, three summers ago while sitting in this spot. I have this photo tacked to my computer at work as inspiration. I am forever grateful.



These steps are located just to the left of the Muskoka chairs, and lead down to the beach.


We witnessed a few BIG thunderstorms last summer........this is one coming in for a landing. It walloped us! Thunder, lightening, wind, rain..............dark skies. Somehow I ended up as the only adult in the cottage with all the kids, including my daughter who is FREAKED by storms and was under the blankets..........head and all. What is so cool about storms like this is how they usually end up with rainbow endings and amazing sunsets.




Like this one......my relieved beauty beside beauty. xo

ps. For you Tim...........may you and your family start the plans to head north to the land of Anne Shirley.






4 comments:

Unknown said...

I adore PEI and haven't been there in years. Jim has never been across the border and I often sometimes think that we will find our true home among the sea when we discover PEI for the first time together. Thank you for this reminder and for reminding me that summer eventually will come after this long, long winter.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

BEAUTIFUL Place! And Very Beautiful pictures! I can see how the Muse might just come a visiting in this very peaceful glorious place!

Karen said...

This kind of place would stir most people I would think Dana. Stunning photos too.

Canadian Sentinel said...

Taken on PEI? My, but they look as if they could've been taken at Hopewell Cape right here in NB... I snapped a few good'uns last Canada Day over there, and they're some of the best I've ever taken. Perhaps we've got the knack for the shoot in common... :)