Saturday, March 22, 2008

morning thoughts.......



Last night my husband and I attended a Good Friday Concert at the Wilmot United Church. I expected it to be very sad, but in fact I found it uplifting in so many ways. The concert included a chamber orchestra and a choir along with guest Soprano and Bass performers. They played/sung a variety of pieces from Bach, Handel and Mendelssohn, and then performed the Faure Requiem. Most of the music I recognized and enjoyed. I've included the piece I loved the most.

As I was listening, I took in the visual beauty of Wilmot church. Its one of my favourite places of worship..........it's so uniquely painted inside with colours that have the same flavour as one you would see in Europe, particularly the Alps. It's hard to explain...........I will have to take pictures of it one day.

I was also intrigued by a little one who was attending with his Dad and his Grandparents, and sitting across the small aisle from me. I have a feeling that his Mom was performing. He was an absolutely adorable toddler, around 24 months old, and so well behaved, especially at the time of night. When the concert began, I looked over and he was sitting on his father's lap taking it all in. In fact, he was just the right size to fit in the "L shape"........his head touching his Dad's chin, and his feet reaching his Dad's knees. All snuggled in........... And I was whooshed by the remembrance of when my kids were small enough to fit perfectly like that.

He wiggled a bit, but never ever made a fuss while he tried to find the right position to fall asleep to the music. And all the while, his Dad hugged him and rocked him with such gentle love that always sends just the right message to a little one.......you are safe, you are loved. His wriggling never was an issue for either his Dad nor his Grandparents........every now and then a book or a small toy would appear to refocus him. Meanwhile NOT a peep, except when the music had concluded between pieces.

I watched him mostly out of the corner of my eye...... He brought LIFE into a Requiem concert. This little being lifted up all who were watching him from the corner of their eyes. At the end of the two hour concert, I leaned over to him and gave him a finger puppet of a chick I had in my purse (don't all good bloggers have finger puppets in their purses??)and stuck it on his pointer finger...... The look on his chubby little face was priceless. A big smile formed behind that soother he was sucking on! And I thought...........wait til Easter morning kiddo, you've seen nothing yet.......

His first real Easter egg hunt.....dont you want to be there to watch his joy erupt as he runs around his own house finding treats?
Today, I have 18 (including my family) coming for dinner...........which includes 10 "bunnies" of all ages. We have a surprise for them too. Guitar Hero has arrived at our house! I have a feeling we'll be rocking it out Nugent style tonight!! A weeeee bit different than the concert last night.......




6 comments:

Sherry said...

Thank you for the portrait of the little boy - innocence & simplicity in his father's protective arms - against the backdrop of Easter. I'm enjoying the arrangement of "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring". Mostly I 've just heard this as a piano solo. Think I will listen to it all weekend! Oh, and your "Good Friday" post. I'll agree with Barbara on this one - definitely a prayer...

Open Grove Claudia said...

WOW! 18 for dinner! I hope it's wonderful. Happy Easter!

Under there... said...

Wow! A choir, orchestra and Ted Nugent music all in one day. I love it. Please do take photos of the church sometime. It sounds wonderful. We have our Easter Vigil tonight, but I now feel totally unprepared without a finger puppet or two. I will have to run out and find some so I can join the ranks of all good bloggers. Speaking of that, you are not just a good blogger. Your posts are great! Thanks. They are a highlight of my day.

Bar L. said...

I love the way you paint with your words. I could see the little guy so clearly. And of course I have a finger puppet in my purse at all times :)

awareness said...

Sherry....The Bach piece is so beautiful isn't it? They orchestra performed it without the choir accompaniment last night. It was lovely.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Good Friday post.....perhaps it was the prayer I was looking for. :)

Claudia.......YES! It was a great success.....the first time we had these families over for dinner together. We met them through the friendships my son has made at the school. That was the original connection, plus the volunteer work we have done for the school. It was a potluck collaboration....always the best. The kids entertained themselves downstairs.......I set up a "sundae bar" for them which was a huge hit.
It was a great evening.

Underthere.....I will sneak into the church one sunny day and take pics. I have some of the outside, but none of the artistry inside.
thank you for your kind words too. I really appreciate it.

Layla......i knew you would!! I had just purchased a couple of them on Thursday because they were so cute. Even though my kids are too old for finger puppets, I was going to hide them for the Easter hunt...... :)
I'll tell them tomorrow what happened to the chick. They'll like that.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I could see thgis sweet litle child in your beautiful words Dana, and I think I too would have been uplifted by his being there.....
How true about the First Easter Egg Hunt....So very sweet that forst time....!
I cannot believe you had 18 people coming today....How do you do it? I mean.....You work, you hasve a husband and children; you write brilliantly on your blog...How Do You Do ALL This, AND, have 18 people for Easter??
You are a wonder, my dear, in every way.