Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Hey Mom! Happy Birthday




Today is my Mom's birthday. Her big day kicks off the fall birthday season in our family as well as her favourite time of year...................not because of the birthday deluge but because August is over and Autumn is just around the corner. My mom isn't a fan of the month of August. If I had to hazard a guess, it's because it seems more like the end of the year to her than any other time of year. Beginnings happen again in September. Even though her three daughters have been out of the house managing their own families, my Mom still has the urge to go shopping for new socks and shoes to start off the school year. Now, she has a slew of grandsons and one granddaughter.........who acquired the "shoe gene" from her........to consider.

Autumn represents more than that of course. Cooler weather, beautiful fall colours, a zip in the energy level, even the baseball play-offs come into play. Then there's always a new release of great books to devour, bountiful harvests at the local market to admire, home decorating and projects to plan, planning tennis games, and regular routines to re-enter, especially connecting with her close female friends whom she plays bridge and scrabble with and whom she celebrates milestones with. Road trips with my Dad also figure prominently. My Mom is always game for a fall trip to New England, or out East to visit us. Thanksgiving in October is her favourite holiday.

My Mom love to write as well (where my writing gene came from.........) and has recently crossed the threshold from her comfort level with a typewriter to a laptop. She is learning to tackle the internet for news and information, to send and receive emails, and to play scrabble online. Writing has always been a passion of hers. She spent many years working in advertising, developing promotions, writing copy, using her creativity in the field of marketing. One of the more prominent memories I have as a child was falling asleep to the sound of the typewriter clicking and dinging away at the dining room table. All the while she wrote copy, my Mom has had the desire to write something more personal, more novel-like. And now that she has conquered the laptop computer mystery, I think she's on the threshold of dipping her toe into the creative writing water again....................to test the waters, maybe starting with a few short stories or observations. Right Mom?

Just wondering Mom...............have you thought about setting up your own Blog? Given your penchant for current events, and your own personal take on the world........you would have lots to write about.

Have a wonderful day, Mom. I hope it's filled with Mel Torme music.................and that someone buys you the new Il Divo CD since you have worn out the first one I suspect...........and that little packages tied up in bright bows arrive at your doorstep. Happy Birthday.



3 comments:

Scott said...

Nice tribute to your Mom. Good for her for getting on that laptop.

Scott

Ellen said...

No doubt the "writing gene" is in your blood.... and I can't wait to see if your Mom starts her own blog. She sounds amazing!

Can't blame her for liking the Autumn months... they are much cooler, and filled with the richness in color of earth. I was married in October (a million years ago), and used the fall colors to decorate everything. I even had a carrot wedding cake... which was unheard of at the time, as all bride had white cakes. I just couldn't resist because it fit into the scheme.

So sorry I've been absent, but wanted you to know I went back and read your two previous posts and finally left comments. It goes without saying, you write brilliantly, my friend. Always a pleasure coming over here!

awareness said...

Hi there.

Thanks for the comments.......I can't take any credit for my mom mastering the computer. She has done it with the help of a friend of my sister's who teaches computer skills and it has given her the confidence to move forward.

Ellen........the more I read your posts and comments, I laugh at the many quirks and talents we share!! I didn't have a carrot cake, but I do have a penchant for themes!! I was married in December, between Christmas and New Years. We had just moved out to the Maritimes and went home for Christmas. It was the perfect time because everyone was home for the holidays.....AND there isn't much that happens on the 29th of Dec.

Since I had always thought I would be married in the summer, early fall up north near a lake and a lodge etc, my Mom went all out and created these centrepieces......baskets with pedestall...a hurricane lamp and white candle tucked in it surrounded by pine boughs and freesia.
We had truffles (instead of wedding cake) in little sparkly Christmas boxes with lots of ribbon and a gift tag addressed for each guest (and the table they were sitting at). My bouquet.......off white tulips wrapped in a bow made from the same material as my dress. All my mom's creation to bring nature into the banquet hall on a cold winter night.