Saturday, December 27, 2008

Jean Vanier, a builder of hope and light.....



He has lived most of his adult life in France, but he has been chosen as Canada's "Nation Builder" by the Globe and Mail. No one else fits the bill quite like this gentle, humble holy man. Jean Vanier's calling and how he has chosen to live it....quietly and with very little fanfare is truly inspirational. The founder of the international L'Arche communities, Vanier's lifework has altered the very way we understand and treat people with severe disabilities. His written body of work reaps in his thoughts and beliefs allowing someone like me to learn from him. Jean Vanier has much to teach our world. If you were to ask me who I would like to meet the most, to have a chance to sit down for a cup of tea with, it would be Jean Vanier. My admiration holds no boundaries for this man.
When I first heard of the L'Arche community and the philosophy behind it, I was in my early twenties embarking on a new job at a rehabilitiation centre in Toronto. It was my responsibility to create and run a "sensory stimulation" program for children and teens who were multiply handicapped. These kids, many of whom had never been involved in any structured programming designed specifically for them because of their severe limitations, and tragically our own limitations in seeing the need. They became my kids every night of the week as we explored a new world of colour, light, tastes, touch, music, movement, interaction and friendship. I loved the job. It was a challenging open ended discovery.......a perfect place for me to thrive. Still is. :)

The field of sensory stimulation and sensory integration was very new in the early 80's.....the concepts just starting to be understood, so I found myself creating as I went along. I relied mostly on the feeling of comfort I had working with children who were considered by many as cast-offs.......who actually frightened most people because there seemed to be no recognition or bonding ability. Many of these children lived in institutions or were living with families who were taxed emotionally, physically and spiritually to the max because of the lack of support in their communities or from extended families. The severity of the disabilities these children lived with meant that they required 24 hour care and supervision.

Many were at the rehab centre for wheelchair fitting, feeding and/or communication assessments or post-op care. Some of these children would arrive from acute care Children's hospitals after experiencing traumatic head injuries from accidents and were now ready for healing and rehabilitation. These kids, often still in a layer of coma but re-emerging and becoming more and more alert would begin with me in the sensory program before moving onto another recreational level later on in their healing. It was like watching a uniquely changed flower rebloom. For whatever reason, my intuition and comfort level allowed me a window into their individual worlds. Though it consumed me at the time, and I had a very tough time leaving their beautiful faces behind when I went home at night, I grew more as an individual than in any other setting I even grasped at the time.

For some reason I saw these children in a different way.....and felt a sense of bonding. I never knew how or why and for the most part while I worked there, I struggled with understanding this part of me. It wasn't until years later when I finally sat down and read the words of Jean Vanier and Henri Nouwen that I could see how connected it was to my spirituality. At the time, I questioned God, wrapping myself in the very idea that there was a God out there who would allow such pain and suffering to wrapped up in a child. I constantly asked why God created a place where babies were born with such disabilities and deformities. I wondered if it was an omen.....would I be given a baby of my own who was sick and frail and in need of constant care? Learning of the L'Arche communities then was salve to my own confusion, though I still dismissed the very idea of believing in God or at least believing in a God who could be so callous.

Reading Vanier's words, tied to the very concept of caring for the most vulnerable, of living as equals, helping one another, learning from each and every person we meet, offered me a missing link in my own awareness. It has somehow helped me make some sense of a senseless world. I guess it was my own "sensory" integration. Vanier's core religious beliefs, which have guided him and anchored him throughout his own journey resonate so deeply inside my own reflections. I'm not alone.....he has touched the hearts and souls of many. His persistant faith opened a door to recognizing my own, and most definately helped me believe in God again.....a God who loves.

"We have a strange notion of God," he writes
"It is linked, I think to our fundamental sense of guilt,
a God who condemns and punishes,
a God who just wants to take away what we love,
a God who demands sacrifices.
But that is not God.
God is Love.
God is Mercy.
God loves each one of us and knows who we are.
God is never disappointed in us.
God knows our basic fears, our fear of not being loved...
even our fear of being loved.

God loves us just as we are
and wants to reveal how deeply he respects us.
During one of our community weekends in northern France,
an assistant asked Frank, a man with disabilities
if he prayed.
He answered, 'yes.'
"What do you do when you pray Frank?"
"I listen."
"What does God say to you?"
"God says to me, 'You are my beloved son," he replied
That is what we discover in prayer:
we are a beloved son, a beloved daughter, of God.

God wants us to be united to us,
to reveal his presence to us.....
God's presence is also just as real
within our weakness and our poverty too."


Our Nation Builder of the Year..... A precious gift to us all. May we all embrace this gentle human being's beliefs, recognizing the most vulnerable who are tucked inside our own frailties.
Here is a link to the news story on his award. It gives an overview of the man himself and describes a bit of the L'Arche community and philosophy.




ps. Greenbelt bound perhaps? I wonder if that is a possiblity? :)

7 comments:

swilek said...

Thanks for this story Dana. I didn't know he won this honour. I loved to hear how the L'Arche community/Jean Vanier helped to shape you! I have a story about Henri Nouwen that moved me....It was his book, "In the Name of Jesus" that spoke to my heart -well the pre and post-amble A few years ago I went on a retreat in Kingston on the writings of Nouwen and the community member he spoke of "In the Name of Jesus" was there-Bill. I had the privilege of meeting him-it was an honour! That is my short version of the story and its impact on my life. L'Arche is a beautiful community. I was also interested to hear of your sensory work at the rehab centre, esp. in my work with students with autism:) Oh, I wanted to also comment about another post of yours about your grandma Mabel? That is my mom's name! You don't hear it too often. A couple at my church just had a grand daughter born and she was named Mabel!!:)

awareness said...

Hey Karyne. Would love to hear more about your retreat and meeting Bill. How cool is that? I was only introduced to the writings of Nouwen a couple of years ago through Philip Yancey's Soul Survivor and since then have read much of his work. I wish I had met him when he was working at L'Arche in Toronto.

I have no direct connection to L'Arche, only learning of the very idea of such a place when I was working in the field at a time when I needed to. In fact, I don't think you live far from where I worked....it used to be called the Hugh MacMillan Centre. I think its now called Bloorview MacMillan. Its near Bayview and Eglinton....near Sunnybrook Hospital? I loved working there and had hoped to remain in this field of work...Child Life/Recreation. But, when we moved to New Brunswick, they only hired bilingual people at the Rehab Centre because it is a provincial centre and the hospital had only one Child Life Director and the same guy is in the job 20 years later!

Sensory integration is an interesting field isn't it? One of the jobs I've had since moving here was teaching at the Community College in the Child Care and Human Services Counselling, both of which I touched on sensory integration. I have since done quite a bit of reading on it as it pertains to people with Learning Disabilities and Autistic Spectrum Disorder.

Isn't it amazing how many more children are being diagnosed with some form of autism in the past dozen or so years?? It's like its an epidemic. I don't quite get it. Maybe because they broadened the definition to turn it into a spectrum rather than a specific disorder?

My grandmother? I called her Mabel, and was the only grandchild to be allowed to! I was the eldest....and when I was young, I had 2 grandmothers and 2 greatgrandmothers...it got a little confusing. Mabel never looked old enough to be a grandma. She was also game to try anything.....from roller skating to travel. It never felt right calling her anything but Mabel. :)

Anonymous said...

always a possibility.....

awareness said...

it is where i like to dwell.

I don't think I was clear in my last comment....was referring to Jean Vanier as a speaker. I think he would be brilliant. He just turned 80 and is slowing down, but still travels and speaks.

Anonymous said...

we have had him speak before and i know he is a name that is thrown around most years by those who choose - have already sent an email asking....

awareness said...

i think i need to find a moonlighting job and get my ass in gear in 2009. it is my number one goal....the thought of going makes my breath lighter. i must be out of my mind, but i honestly believe Greenbelt is how I am imagining it and my expectations would be felt. i guess that's why it feels so right and why i feel such a pull to attend.
I don't want to wait another year to be there L-5ing with you.

swilek said...

Dana, can you send me your email address and I can tell you my story about Bill...my address is: swile67@yahoo.ca

Thanks!!!:)