Friday, December 12, 2008

keys


"There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception."Aldous Huxley


Emotional literacy......this is the topic I covered yesterday in my workshop. Self awareness is the key to unlocking our understanding of the feelings which underlie our thinking. Its not always pretty. In fact, sometimes it opens a door to a room haunted by shame and doubt..... destructively hurtful feelings too painful to look at for very long without turning away and slamming the door shut.
If you keep looking though, if you keep unlocking the doors, eventually you will find a comforting room where forgiveness dwells. I imagine to find a smiling friend there.....one who is open to accepting me, warts and all.....one who can help me change my perception by holding up a different mirror which reflects beauty and acceptance....one where love and a sense of belonging fills the air.
Emotional literacy is so much easier to read when there are others there to help you hold the self-awareness key.....and to hold your hand.



5 comments:

Nikita said...

I can't even find the darn keys half the time!
Much love xxx

much2ponder said...

This is so good, I must go back and read it again!

awareness said...

niki....i suck at finding the keys too. i have to rely on others to hold the spare ones.

m2p...thanks. Its a great topic. I love the impact it can have when someone becomes more aware of how our emotions (particularly the unresolved festering ones) can impact our actions/behaviour and we don't even make the connection.

Rainbow dreams said...

very true, we can't unlock those doors on our own, thank goodness for friends who do just that.

Anonymous said...

If you keep looking though, if you keep unlocking the doors, eventually you will find a comforting room where forgiveness dwells.


I like this thought Dana. Unfortunately I am brutally honest with my own self assessment often to the point where I don't like myself much. I think I'll keep looking for that comforting room.