Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Huron Carol



This is the first Canadian Christmas hymn, written in the early 1600's by Jesuit Father Jean de Brebeuf. Right after he wrote this hymn, he was ceremoniously murdered by the Iroquois confederacy, who went on to virtually obliterate the Hurons and their culture. They were encouraged in this by the British colonial interests who were seeking control of French claimed territory, much of which was Huron territory originally. The descendents, not many, live in a few villages in the province of Quebec, but their language is mostly lost.....floating in the history of the complicated birth of this nation we call Canada.

Bruce Cockburn also sings a beautiful rendition of this song too.

5 comments:

The Original Princess said...

This is one of my favourite Christmas Carol's to sing. Once we sang the first verse translated into Mic Mac or Maliseet (I'm embarrased that I can't remember now.) Anyway, I love it.

awareness said...

Princess...I can see how one could pole dance to this. KIDDING! I have the Bruce Cockburn version of it in my office. Come down this afternoon and listen to it with me. I'd love to see you.

much2ponder said...

Very interesting history and memorable song. Thank you for this thoughtful post awareness. Sad, but important to note and keep the story alive

Anonymous said...

would love to hear Cockburn's version.... how have i not come across that?!

awareness said...

m2p...it's a song I find so beautiful and haunting.

paul...i'll send it to you. it's on a new Christmas CD of his, which is all really beautiful. Jamie came home with it the other day....They were handing them out at Canadian Tire last week when you made a purchase. You can buy more than tires there.