Thursday, October 23, 2008

la luna


Early morning and I found myself, outside with a cup of tea in hand. Barefoot, I stood in my housecoat in the dark fog waiting for my puppy to do her thing. It was so quiet except for the sound of a car in the distant somewhere. The only light was a solitary streetlamp at the edge of my property. Around me were the remnants of the flowers, most of which didn't make it through the night frost. Up above was a half moon with a glowing fog circle around it............all alone up there. Like me down below.

Whenever I look up at the moon, I travel in my thoughts wondering about others. Like many, the moon is a focal point for this kind of reverie. The other night out of the blue, my son who was sitting on the couch with me watching the ballgame asked........ "I wonder if anyone is thinking of me right now?"


"Your Dad probably is......." I reply, knowing it was around bedtime in Iceland where he was attending a music festival with his brother.


"I'm thinking it's Sandy......(our friend who lives in Barcelona). I don't know why, but I have this strange feeling that Sandy's thinking about me."


"Could be.....you never know. There are quite a few people out there who may be thinking about you Max. It's a good feeling isn't it?"


Yes it is..........yes it is. Our conversation then led to wondering about the people in our lives who are out there..........wondering how they are and then expanding on our discussion with stories and memories of the last time we were in contact with them. It was a global conversation ........ ranging from Japan, to England, to Tunisia where my parents were visiting on their cruise vacation.......to Iceland, to Burlington where much of our family lives........to down the street. The people in our lives are spread out across the globe. We live in an era where it all feels like "just down the street" because we are all a finger touch away. More importantly, they come rushing right to us and settle inside as soon as we think of them. Our thoughts spin threads outward, using the moon to lasso the people in our thoughts right back to us. It's synchronistically magical.


As I looked from my vantage point of the front steps at the lonely moon I wondered who was thinking about me and then I turned my thoughts towards the people I was thinking of sending messages up to the moon to loop around it and fall down into their skin. Sometimes I feel like if I think about someone really intensely they can feel it. I believe this wholeheartedly. It happens to me so it must happen to others. I'm not that bizarre am I? I'll be going about my day only to stop in my tracks when a strong surging connection to another fills me with a smile. From that point, I continue but with a goofy smile on my face as I recall a conversation, an email, an event......as I conjure up their face and warmth.


la luna........

I wonder what he's doing right now?

I wonder where she is right now?

I hope he's figuring it out.

I can't wait to tell her all about what i've just read.

I hope he's coping

I hope she's happy.

Where are they today? I hope they know I'm thinking of them.

I hope he has a day of wonder....

I pray................all the way up to the moon and back..... with feeling.

It's time for a new day to begin. I'm thinking of you. Can you feel it under your skin?

9 comments:

Karen said...

The moon is like a focal point for everyone in the world. We can all see it though not at the same time of course. One of my favourite expressions is I love you right up to the moon and back.

We'd all like to hope that someone is thinking about us. It's what makes us all feel connected.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

The moon is my Sign...So I am very sensitive to the moon in all it's many sizes....(lol)...Especially, when it is a FULL Moon...I really can feel something different....
This thinking of someone and wondering how they are and what they are doing--Happens to me quite often, too!
I LOVE when someone crosses my mind and then the phone rings, and it is them! Psychic Messages abound!

Sometimes when I am feeling terribly terribly alone---Which seems to be happening more and more as I am gettimg older and having Health Problems, I so wish that someone is actually thinking of me....That would be nice.

awareness said...

Gypsy....the children's book....I love you this much was one of Max's favourites and he will still say that expression to me....

Naomi....I don't know what my sign is....I should find out. I think it's wine. lol.

It seems to happen to me more and more as well, and I really like the feeling. Recently, I told a good friend of mine that I always knew when he was thinking of me and described the feeling I did in this post. And, I don't think he thought I was nuts.....
And you know what? I think of you often. I really do. I am RIGHT NOW!

much2ponder said...

What a sweet post Awareness. I love it. I do often wonder such things myself and it seems at times throughout my busy day I think of others and grin. God is good and he knows who our hearts connection is with. Thanks for sharing. I love the way you think:)

swilek said...

GREAT post...I was out there with you , coffee mug in hand! I love when God lays someone on our heart..it is for a reason and I LOVE finding out why they were on our hearts...usually cool stories!

Ellen said...

Early morning is one of my favorite times of day (unless I have to be up at 4AM for a delivery at 6.) It is the beginning of a new day and new possibilities that can be endless. It's also one of the quietest times of day, as most critters are still quiet nestled in.

And no, you are not bizarre to think that people are thinking about you as you think about them. Look what just happened the other day with us.....
We were somehow thinking about one another in order for me to finally get off my fat butt to contact you with an e-mail. There is something very synchro-whatever in that, eh?

As for Max, tell him I was thinking about him, and glad to hear about his CISV involvement. I do hope they send him to Roma... what an experience that will be! Oh, and tell him that his "thanks" for Thanksgiving brought tears to my eyes (No kidding!)

Nikita said...

A gorgeous feeling just spread throughout me and my home darlin...and I have you to thank for that.
As I think about bed (it's 3am) I find it comforting to think that so many miles away someone else is awake, to watch over the world, to spare me a thought.
xx

awareness said...

m2p.....some people say i think too much! thank you for the reassurance that i'm not too loopy.

Swile67...they are usually cool stories and reasons why. It's not often we find out because even though the feeling is strong, it can be fleeting too as we move into the busyness of the day and we forget to bring it up in conversation when we see/talk to them next.

Ellen...you're right! Silly me, I hadn't made the connection to the synchronicity of how we were thinking of one another at the same time. Doh!
I will pass on your good wishes to Max. He and I just uploaded a bunch of photos onto facebook and he taught me how to "tag" them so he can use them on his facebook site. Yes, biggie things are happening for him. Age 11 is a super awareness boosting age isn't it? I look forward to watching the election with him.

Niki......never worry....at 3 am in the UK, it's early enough here for me to be keeping guard over things. Did you know that the name "Dana" is also the name of a guardian angel? It's true. Ask Mr. Harbour. :)

carmilevy said...

Not bizarre at all. Enlightening and soul-lifting to read your perspective on it, though.

I often look up at the moon, enthralled that someone special to me far away can be doing exactly the same thing at that moment. Now that we have the dog, I'm outside often enough that I tend to have these "moon moments" almost constantly.

We're only as alone as our imaginations allow us to be. And your wise words reinforce how easy it is to avoid the loneliness with just a little bit of thought.