Sunday, October 12, 2008

bounty......


handknit wool socks to insulate you from the cold ground and to make your feet happy.


There is most definately a nip of autumn in the air this morning as I sit here with cold toes in need of socks. Fewer birds greet me at dawn, when I usually awaken........their melodic symphony has flown south with them leaving the more robust baritones to carry on in their absence. Squirrels are in abundance scampering after one another up and down tree trunks and along the dewy grass filling their coffers for winter. One just skittered and leaped by in front of my window as I am writing this.

Yesterday as I emptied a few flower pots to be stored until spring, I came across many acorns that had been tucked away in the soil and felt badly that I had found a squirrel hiding spot. I think though that they realize humans are a pain in the ass and mess up best laid plans, so they have back up spots. They are entertaining little creatures on a mission and they remind me that this is the time of year when we all begin to prepare for a more internal hibernation. There is a holiness to the rituals, and a tender sense of external quieting as the leaves float off the trees as part of the dance of autumn. The harvesting of the fields are concluding filling our tables with a bounty of goods and produce to take us through a long winter of candlelit contemplations.




It is Thanksgiving weekend in Canada. The colours of fall are at their peak, the sunlight is the most sharpest clarity.....offering up long shadows of remembrances. We can't save daylight time. We have to savour it as it is. Today, we're off to enjoy the outdoors........some apple picking, a walk in the woods and then up to Keswick Ridge to give thanks at a harvest table surrounded by friends and family. It's my favourite time of year.





The photography theme this week at Carmi's place is "ground(ed)" I've chosen these photos, all of which I took yesterday as my offering to this week's theme. As much as the trees around here are doing their very best to grab my attention, the ground displays many lovely treasures too........especially if you're lucky enough to be walking around in multi-coloured striped socks.

5 comments:

MamaCta! said...

Love the socks! My feet would definitely be happy in those colorful socks. Did you knit them?

awareness said...

mama c....I would like to learn to knit properly. These socks were for sale at our local Saturday farmer's market. I just may have to buy a pair.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

That picture of the socks is inspired! They are Beautiful and look very comfy cozy!

Fall is such a wonderful time of year, though I don't like that we will be turning the clocks BACK shorttly, and then it will be darker earlier. Not my favorite thing.

Hope you had a BEAUTIFUL Day with all your dear family and friends.

JP/deb said...

Love this bountiful feast of images. Happy Thanksgiving and happy autumn! xx, JP/deb

much2ponder said...

I love the socks! This is one of my favorite times of year. It always feels like a warm hug inside when things are changing outside.