Tuesday, October 14, 2008

the football match




Jesus Christ had never been to a football match. So we took him to one, my friends and I. It was a ferocious battle between the Protestant Punchers and the Catholic Crusaders.
The Crusaders scored first. Jesus cheered wildly and threw his hat high up in the air. Then, the Punchers scored. And Jesus cheered wildly and threw his hat high up in the air.
This seemed to puzzle the man behind us. He tapped Jesus on the shoulder and asked, "Which side are you rooting for, my good man?"
"Me?" replied Jesus, visibly excited by the game. "Oh, I'm not rooting for either side. I'm just enjoying the game."
The questioner turned to his neighbour and sneered, "Hmmm, an atheist!"
After the game, we asked him if he was in the habit of never taking sides. "I side with people rather than religions," said Jesus, "I'm always more interested in the human beings rather than Sabbath."
taken from The Song of the Bird by Anthony de Mello.
Jesus may not pick sides in football, but everyone knows that when it comes to hockey, he's a raving Toronto Maple Leafs fan. Go Leafs!

3 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOL...I love this poat! And I believe that is exactly what Jesus would say!

Anonymous said...

Great,more of what jesus did say, would say,could say,will say,think he sayed.lol
Great memories from people who couldn't get it straight, what their neighbour said this morning.
You won't believe how great it is if you,get a life.

awareness said...

Naomi....I thought it was a funny story. Glad you liked it.

Anon...you are my twin? I don't think so. I have no idea who you are, and am assuming you're the same person who left the comments on my election piece. I have disabled the anon comment option because quite frankly I can.