Thursday, June 14, 2007

knocking down the structures.

resiliency

I've been in trouble, but I'm ok

Been through the wringer but I'm ok

Walls are falling and I'm ok

Under the mercy and I'm ok

Gonna tell my old lady

Gonna tell my girl

There isn't anything in the world

That can lock up my love again.

Bruce Cockburn, Fascist Architecture

Words to repeat and repeat.

Cockburn wrote this song years ago after visiting Italy where he viewed the buildings built during the Mussolini regime, and which he considered overbearing structures that blocked out the light. Cockburn's feeling, described in an interview was that the buildings dwarfed the people who lived and worked in their shadows. Inspired, he incorporated his thoughts and his observations into a metaphorical song about our own internal structures we construct to lock out others. Personal events, emotionally trying experiences have the ability to break down the walls of protection, don't they?

After years of living waiting for the crisis to hit, it came with a double punch. We have lost two people in our lives within a month. Their long term illnesses and needs as well as the unreachable expectations placed on us forced us to build big structures in order to cope. It's not over just yet, but it will be soon. The structures are tumbling down.

We've been through the wringer.......and we're ok.

Lots to think about, and it's ok.

Tired souls and that's ok.

Counting our blessings, and they're ok.

looking through nature's window

5 comments:

Dustin said...

Even though this wasn't a lengthy post, I felt the emotional depth conveyed within it.

May God grant you God's peace during this time.

St. Kevin & the Blackbird said...

Also this: "Under the mercy, and i'm ok." Which we are.
-R

Bar L. said...

thank you so much for the words and this lovely picture window.

awareness said...

Thank you Dustin....

Robin...we are, aren't we? thank you to you and H. for being there last Sunday. J is home now with us....has relaxed to a point of exhaustion and will need some time to resurface....but that's alright....Lily and Max won't let him our of their sight!! they are like two bookends :)

Layla...I'm glad you liked the photo. I really liked it. I was taking a couple of shots of the tall grass field and when I turned around, this is the view I had...I think I would've missed it had I not been standing there initially with my back to it. I like the fence in it too.....

I took both photos close to where I live while I was out walking the dog.

JP (mom) said...

Sending you and your husband much peace and healing. I love how you tied in where you're at with the Bruce Cockburn lyrics. Much peace & love, deb