Sunday, February 11, 2007

changes.....................


Last night, while sitting in front of the fireplace with a friend enjoying a glass of wine a song popped up in our conversation. I don't even know where it came from or how it wound up being retrieved from the past. Surprisingly, neither she nor I knew anyone else at this juncture in our lives who knew the song. Also surprisingly, it turns out it was our favourite folk song sung when we were young attending different summer camps. Of all the folk songs we were taught, this one resonated the most......she at her camp in her life separate from mine. We have only known one another for a couple of years..........

When I was 10 or 11 years old, my camp counsellors were heavily influenced by the folk songs of that anti-war era.........many were shared.......many were taught....many were sung around a campfire. I remember them all fondly........ For some reason, I couldn't for the life of me remember the words to my favourite. The tune has been nestled in my brain for a long time with no means of connecting to the words. Sometimes, a snippet of the song would pop up and as hard as I'd try, I couldn't dredge the rest up from my memory. I asked others if they could remember. I tried to find it on the internet, but had no luck. I didn't know who wrote it until last night..........it was Phil Oches.

A touchingly beautiful end of summer lament returned. A gift. Wish I could hum it for you. But I think the words hold up as poetry. No need for a tune.


Beautiful pictures of starry night beach gatherings, of glowing faces lit by the light of the campfire, and of one special summer love whom I also know holds this song close to his heart............these are my pictures filling in the grace notes between the lyrics.............



Changes

Sit by my side, come as close as the air,
Share in a memory of grey;
Wander in my words, dream about the pictures
That I play of changes.

Green leaves of summer turn red in the fall
To brown and to yellow they fade.
And then they have to die, trapped within
The circle time parade of changes.

Scenes of my young years were warm in my mind,
Visions of shadows that shine.
Til one day I returned and found they were the
Victims of the vines of changes.

The world's spinning madly, it drifts in the dark
Swings through a hollow of haze,
A race around the stars, a journey through
The universe ablaze with changes.

Moments of magic will glow in the night
All fears of the forest are gone
But when the morning breaks they're swept away by
Golden drops of dawn, of changes.

Passions will part to a strange melody.
As fires will sometimes burn cold.
Like petals in the wind, we're puppets to the silver
Strings of souls, of changes.

Your tears will be trembling, now we're somewhere else,
One last cup of wine we will pour
And i'll kiss you one more time, and leave you on
The rolling river shores of changes.

Phil Oches.


7 comments:

Arlen said...

Phil Oches was a name that I hadn't heard in years, and I mean probably 30 plus of them. He made his mark during the first decade of Dylan. Thanks for the memories...

awareness said...

you're very welcome Arlen. good to know you're out there.......

The House on Big Island said...

He was a prolific writer, the consumate folk singer and this...one of his greatest songs, I think.

Following in the strong American tradition of Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger, his earliest successes were in New York's Greenwich Village and Toronto's Yorkville. In fact, the song CHANGES is purported to have been written outside, one evening, between sets at the famed Riverboat in Toronto's Yorkville.

A contemporary of Dylan, John Wesley Harding, (a young) Arlo Guthrie, this middle class Ohioan wrote hundreds of great folk songs.

WHAT'S THAT I HEAR? being another that I remember so well.

He comitted suicide at the age of 35, in the mid-seventies, a victim of CHANGES that he could not face.

What if.........??? (but that's another post)

awareness said...

Hey Daisy. Do you remember singing this song at camp.....?

thanks for the information. I had no idea that he committed suicide. How very sad.

My true memory of this.....late August when camp was closing up and watching Luten singing it through tears. It was his favourite.

paris parfait said...

Beautiful piece. Thanks for the memories.

The House on Big Island said...

Gee, Muskie - I sent you an answer but I must not have posted it properly!!

I sure do remember this song from Camp. It has a special place in my "camp file" along with other folk classics like Early Morning Rain, Don't Think Twice, Four Strong Winds and 500 miles.

I think Strawberry taught me to play this on guitar. He loved great folk music.

Although I don't have the exact "special" end of camp memory of CHANGES that you do (nod, wink) it does remind me of the wonderful intensity or depth of emotion that the end of summer always brought, as camp wound down.

Wasn't that what being young was all about - that intensity of affection, attachment and no-holds-barred emotion! They were the best of times, the best of friends and they provided us with such a strong foundation on which to build the rest of our lives.

awareness said...

Here's to intensity! And the profound blessings of the friendship that gave us such strong foundations.