Monday, February 26, 2007

glimpses............

For the better part of last week, I was on the road visiting people in their homes. In between deep open conversations with individuals, often pertaining to their aches and pains from illness and difficult life struggles, travelling from one rural home to another, I stopped the car when the mood stirred me and took some pics. The sun, the music playing and my wide open search for interesting shots was the salve needed to clear my head in order to be fresh for the next visit.

Of all the shots I took on this particular day, I liked this one the best. I don't know why.......perhaps the fact that the colour of the stones naturally blended with the birch trees. The shadows........the pristine snow informing me that no one has come to visit in a while.....the heart shaped tombstone.......the history it held.

I didn't have time to check out many of the engravings, but I could hazard a guess that there are but a few different names located in this little cemetary by the side of the road. All of them original settlers to the area............all of whom are most likely ancestors to the people who presently live and work on the land in the area.

I love the freedom of my backroads travelling, especially on a beautiful winter day when the sun is finally caring enough to warm faces again. I also love the chance to meet a wide array of people, to learn a slice of their personal story........what they feel comfortable sharing.

On this particular afternoon, I met with a 62 year old man who lived just up the hill from this graveyard. He lived in the old homestead house, built 180 years ago........old for Canada....... His family had worked the surrounding fields for 5 generations. He had spent most of his adult life living out west, working the oil rigs only to return alone about 10 years ago. Last summer, after feeling very tired and very weak for an extended period of time, he was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS). He was applying for a disability pensionand it was my responsibility to meet with him, gather information about his situation and then return to my office to write up his story for the medical board to review.

I had to park the car on the road and trek up the unploughed driveway to his isolated house on the hill. The view was breathtaking, but it was startling how isolated this man was, and obviously without neighbourly or familial supports to help him.

When I arrived to the side door, he greeted me........standing upright. On first inspection I found him dirty and dishevelled, his teeth all darkly stained and his face weathered by hard drinking. He hadn't had a bath in a while. He looked tired and worn out. The old house had also seen better days. It seemed to be falling into the realm of beyond repair. It needed a good airing out. It needed someone to clear the clutter.

We sat at an old harvest table piled high with hardcovers and reading paraphenalia. He apologized for his appearance..........he had woken up feeling a cold coming on and was feeling worse than he had since last fall when he had a bad bout of pneumonia which almost killed him. I asked him if he had help, and he told me that a homemaker normally comes to help for a couple of hours on a daily basis. He explained that because he hadn't been well for over a year, and didn't really know why, he had let the housecleaning slide. He didn't have the energy. The homemaker has been spending her time cooking and cleaning as much as she could during her time alloted. It seemed to me that not a dent had been made in the multi-years of neglect.

Though I had only just met him, I could tell that he was struggling with the onset of his cold and wasn't himself. Still, he was eager to talk. Once we completed the basic information needed to complete the disability application, our conversation went from there. We spoke of literature and his love of reading. He had just finished War and Peace and was enraptured by the story. We talked of music and his love of the piano. He told me stories of his ancestors and the history of the area. We talked about politics and local issues.......about family ties and connections. He showed me pieces of intricate woodworking his great grandfather had completed as gifts for his great grandmother when they were courting. He told me of his work out in Alberta. What he didn't tell me was about any relationships in his life, except that he isn't in touch.

My feeling was that this man had burned many bridges in his life. He was alone, dealing with his diagnosis. We spoke of the need for him to make arrangements for a subsidized apartment in town for next winter. Summer was fine to live out at the old house, but keeping the wood furnace stoked and having enough wood for the winter was too much for him.

The last part of our conversation veered towards spirituality as we spoke of the many things in life we have no control over and how the older you get, the more one realizes this. Sure, we have choices about how we treat the people in our lives, about how we use and abuse our bodies, but that we need to relinquish our pseudo control to a Higher Power.

Illness is humbling. It was a lesson this man had learned over the course of the last 6 months. He revealed his humility to me.

A softening of the heart.


As I was getting ready to leave, we both expressed how nice it was to have met and how much we enjoyed the conversation. I pulled out my camera to show him while exclaiming how lucky he was to have such an amazing view.......asking him to describe what it looks like in the fall when alll the leaves are at their peak. He invited me back to see for myself and to take photos........

I clicked a bunch of vista shots on my way down the driveway while he watched me and then we waved goodbye. My next stop was the shot of the graveyard. That night, when I was home I reviewed all the shots, and decided that this one spoke to me. I wanted to post it right away but didn't know what I wanted to say about the photo. So, I kept it in my "blog drafts," knowing that I could return to it when I found the right words.

Today, I was back in my office writing up the reports of the people I visited in their homes last week when I received a phone call. The man had died on the weekend. Suddenly. Unexpectedly from pneumonia. Alone.

The news took my breath away.


12 comments:

Rainbow dreams said...

How sad.
He died alone, but far, far, less alone for having shared such a time and conversation with you.
Life is so transient.. he will be in my thoughts
Am pleased you had the chance to meet

The Original Princess said...

Isn't is strange how we can meet people under these circumstances and then be so deeply affected when something happens to them? I've likely never met this gentleman before but my heart skipped when I read that he died over the weekend.
Rainbow dreams is correct. He may have died alone but at least he had you for a few hours. You likely gave him more attention, more opportunity to talk, to voice his opinions, to share information about his heritage than he has had in a long time.
We both know how giving someone our time can make all the difference in the world.

The Original Princess said...

Part II - Let me rephrase that...it's not strange that we are affected. I meant is always surprises me how we can be so affected after only meeting for such a short time.

Queen Mel said...

Oh My, I have tears brimming my eyes....you were the one light of hope/faith for this man.

How sad his last 6 mths of been, the stress of it all - being sick, getting old.

I guess your picture is very fitting for this post, its the one place we all end up together and for some, there will be no footsteps leading toward us.....

awareness said...

katie....it is sad that someone can find themselves so alone, even if we have brought it upon ourselves. I'm glad I met him too. My conversation with him stayed with me afterwards. I thought about him all weekend actually......of all the clients I met with last week, he stayed with me.

Sarahdipity....welcome! I find it amazing how quickly one can connect with someone and how just one connection can leave an impact. We're very lucky to have opportunities to meet such individuals so regularly.

awareness said...

Hi Tay.....
i hope that through my meetings with clients that I can bring some hope, because oftentimes I'm able to go to bat for them and arrange a small increase in their monthly cheque, or arrange for some intervention or help etc, but I am uncomfortable in thinking that my role is anything more than it is.

The system I work in has many gaps in services and programs. I find it very frustrating....and try to counter balance it by the approach I take when I'm meeting with a client. It's very little compared to what is needed and what SHOULD be offered.

I used the title "glimpses" because often we are only ever offered that much by someone. A glimpse of their life, a glimpse of what they're thinking, a glimpse of where they are at.....a glimpse.......a speck.....

I am grateful to have met this man because he offered me a glimpse of himself and in understanding the humility behind the face of illness.

The impression he was left with of me? We'll never know, and that's fine.

And so it goes.............

The Perrys said...

I stumbled upon your blog months ago and check in often. Your posts are intriguing and I find such humanity in everything you write. You see the obvious that we oftentimes overlook. My heart too skipped a beat when I read that he left this world. I believe you were sent to him, that day, for a reason. We might not ever know the reason, but there was definite meaning behind it. I know your blog is an inspiration to more than just me.

Sunny said...

Oh My Goodness! How terribly sad!!! He thought it was only a cold but it was the first stages of death...this is truly sad. I felt the same way princess did. My heart skipped a beat when I read that he had died.
He is no longer going to suffer and the most important bridges are no longer burnt where he has gone. You were sent to him for a reason. You reached out to him and that may have been what he needed in order to let go.
You picture was very fitting.

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

i hope i am not alone when my time comes - then again, maybe that's the best way - i guess it depends on whether you know you aren't alone, even when you are by yourself

X said...

That's so sad :(

I'm sure that you brightened up his day when you saw him, so he didnt feel as alone as he did before :)

awareness said...

Hi "Perrys".......such wonderful feedback. Thank you. Often I find the process of writing really helps me process my thoughts. In fact there are times when I don't even know how a piece I write will end or how it will be received until I throw it out there.
Writing for me is cathartic....and has become an important part of my daily routine.

thanks for leaving your thoughts. It is very motivating to know that my words can impact others.

Hi Sunny.....I know that when I was there, he smiled. I was a good afternoon diversion...... thanks for your comments

Paul.....that's the key isn't it? I'm so glad you pointed it out....it makes me feel better. There's always the echos and glimpses from God to keep us company, if we want to be open to believing that we are all His children.

k......we all need to know we matter, don't we?

kenju said...

How sad that he died. But I am sure you brought him a large measure of happiness in his last days. Your visit must have meant the world to him.