Tuesday, February 27, 2007

its all in the desire to learn


One of the best teachers during my high school years was my Grade 12 English teacher. No matter what she may have been going through in her personal life, she always arrived to class with a bounce and a cheeky determination to open a book to learning. You could tell that she loved to learn because she always shared her own discoveries with us. Her key motivation shone through. She wanted to show us that learning expanded worlds, that literature broadened thinking, that even in an initially perceived dry Shakesperean play, one could find the naughty bits to liven the learning up!

My favourite University professor taught Psychology. He taught it by interacting with us.......a class of over 100 students. He interacted by sharing his love of learning, by allowing us to know more about his other passions besides what was in the textbook. He introduced the class to Amnesty International by reading stories of imprisoned people in another corner of the world. He was a master at weaving current events with old psychological theory. His assignments were all "position papers," where we had to read an assigned journal article, but then develop our own angle, our own critical analysis of it. This was first year university.........and we were respected and requested to THINK on our own. This wonderful man, who knew everyone by their first name continues to teach in his 80's. He continues because he has more he wants to learn.

Excellent teachers have a passion for learning. Teaching isn't effective unless learning takes the lead. Perhaps the best teachers find the gumption to teach what they are learning themselves. They teach to learn............experimenting, caring, sharing, highlighting, guiding, with enthusiasm.

I wonder if this is discussed in the Education classrooms at university? Somehow, I think it gets lost in between writing pristine lesson plans and memorizing Bloom's taxonomy of learning. What a damn shame.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains.
The superior teacher demonstrates.The great teacher inspires.
--William Arthur Ward

8 comments:

carmilevy said...

Amen. My wife is a teacher, quite likely the best one I've ever had the privilege to observe (I know, I'm biased.) She'd agree as well.

I published this piece a while back. It was about my kindergarten teacher, and I think it reflects a parallel ethos to the one you wrote about so eloquently here:

http://writteninc.blogspot.com/2004/09/raiding-archives-5-why-teaching.html

Happy reading!

kenju said...

I do hope that you have told these teachers what they meant to you. I will always be sorry that I didn't do that for my favorites.

awareness said...

Hi Carmi.....I will check out your post on your K teacher. My feeling is that the "powers that be should always put their very best teachers in the K, and Grade 1 classrooms......

I actually wrote this as a positive way to process my frustrations with my daughter's Math and Science teacher. Can't stand the guy......inconsistent, odd and not able to connect with his Gr. 8 class. So....instead of ranting (or calling the guy up and blasting him over a couple of issues) I chose to try to define what I believe is needed in a teacher :) It helped. The guy didn't get my nasty vibes!

Judy.......that's a wonderful idea. The reason I know about my professor is that there was an article in the alumni newsletter last summer on him. So, he would be easy to contact. My English teacher, unfortunately moved on (as did I) and I have no idea how to contact her.

Rainbow dreams said...

I think I am lucky to be married to an inspirational teacher - although to be fair, different teachers relate to different children...
however, there is no mistaking it when you see it...
he sees and connects in ways that other teachers don't ~ and he draws them in ~ not bad for someone who originally said he would never teach!

sadly the most inspirational teacher I had died last year ~ I don't think I did ever tell her, and now I know how much that would have meant.

I hope something changes to make your daughters time in his class more profitable - good luck, x

Prerona said...

True! But have you ever thought about it, there are so few really inpiring, or even just not negative teachers who dont put you off the subject?

Before I came back to school to do my masters after a 7 year break (working) I was very hesitant and meeting a lot of teachers to help decide. I was surprised - one of them actually told me pls dont bother, its too later

JP (mom) said...

Excellent post, Dana! It's good to be back reading your words. I think this discussion should be forefront in education, but instead too much time is taken up with standardized testing. I think that we all, no matter our profession, should bring that type of enthusiasm and passion into our work. Hope you are well! xo, Deb

awareness said...

Hey Katie. I agree with you. Certain teachers are destined to work with little ones, while others are masters at connecting with teens. Max's past kindergarten teacher is living her calling. She is THE perfect kindergarten teacher.

Martha seems to be dealing with her teacher well on her own. the latest bs was a low mark on a science fair project she busted her butt working on. She's my "project" girl.....loves organizing them and creating the materials etc. the day she presented was also the day she had a mouthful of orthodontic gadgets wired into her mouth. Not only did the teacher make her present it in front of the class when she could hardly pronounce the words, he gave her a failing mark on the verbal presentation part of the final mark!! How low and callous is that?? The girl is an "A" student. So, the next day, Martha questioned him on it.....he stumbled and fumbled and gave her 4 more marks out of 5.

I just try to keep my opinions to myself and help her use her own assertiveness.....though I did tell her I would call him if she wasnt able to get anywhere herself.

ricer.....there are burn outs in every profession, and people who are living their lives in careers that are so personally unfulfilling in every way don't you think?
Thank God we all can think of one or two teachers who really stood out from the crowd....and it makes all the difference.

Hi Deb.....you're on the mend!! Good to have you back reading and leaving comments.
I agree, it should be front and centre........

and standardized testing? I commented on Mike's blog about that subject well over a week ago, and was going to tackle that subject........will have to soon. that's what I studied for my Master's......Assessment and Counselling.....Rorschach anyone?

sketchpie said...

I just stubled upon your blog today, and I really enjoy your writing. I makes me happy :-)

I think the value of a good teacher really goes unappreciated in our society. The teachers that really care and connect with their students really make their learning experiance so much better.