Wednesday, December 27, 2006

All consuming consumerism


I don't get it...............why would anyone in their right mind go shopping on Boxing Day? Sure, there are BIG sales to lure the lemmings back into the malls........we have a recycle box of flyers to prove it. But, you'd think people would have reached their satiation point. Enough already!

I had a tough time this year with all things plastic and blow upity found on the front lawns of tackydom. For some reason, I choked everytime I saw a display of over the top too much garishness blinking messages of materialism. That was a lot of gagging, because it seemed to me a Christmas lighting and ornamental virus hit like wildfire. It used to be that there were one or two off the wall eccentric families in the community who would cover every space and eavestrough on their homes, and then would have this fountain of twinkling lights glaring off their bushes and trees. It was funny..........an ode to the Griswolds. NOW? Whole neighbourhoods have gone blinking bonkers. These same people are lining up for Walmart's Boxing Day bonanza to purchase more zippy lights and blow up thingys for their classy collection. Whooooppeeee.............

This afternoon, I waited inside the mall for 15 minutes to pick up my son and husband at the movie theatre. It was the only reason I would ever set foot in there this week. However, it gave me a chance to gawk and wonder. The place was packed to the rafters with bag carrying sales seekers, looking for yet another great deal..........not to be passed up. Many of them looked like they were really enjoying themselves. What's with that? Maybe I'm in the minority, but I find malls even on a day in March when I would have it all to myself, repulsive. If I have to go in one, it is with a mission that has a beginning and end.......then I'm out of there. No loitering for me. But, I digress..........................these are my thoughts and questions while waiting my 15 minutes, watching the consumer crowds..............boxing it out.........

1. What's with high pointy heels and tight ass jeans complete with a winter jacket with fake fur that only falls just below the breasts? This is Canada people. It's freaking cold outside. Don't tell me this is going to keep you warm? It not only looks uncomfortable and potentially harmful, it seems to be a uniform and not original....... it makes 14 year olds look skanky. It makes 40 year olds look used up. Oh, wait a minute.........................it's the puck bunny uniform. It is truly Canadian................hockey rules!

2. Did every teenager receive a hair straightening device so that they can fakify a look of unique tartism?

3. Why didn't these kid's fathers ever tell them to close their mouths or they'll catch flies like my Dad did? Walking around with a stunned mouth open look is not attractive.........and yet methinks there must be a "how to flirt like a fish" book stuffed in every school locker in the kingdom I've missed reading about? Bone straight hair, dried out and unhealthy looking because of the goop and irons put to it, tight ass jeans, belly jackets and wonky high heels......not blinking............wide black liner eyed...........mouth open pouty like........... arrrrrrgh.........

4. Cell phones. Unbelievable. Are people afraid to be alone even in a mall? What the heck are they afraid to be missing? As people streamed out of the theatres, every other person seemed to be either dialing up, or checking messages, or turning it on. I saw 10 year olds walking by talking on their little flippy compacts. To me, the whole cell phone craze is the epitome of consumerism gone bonkers. I understand the connection to business or the need for a kid to have one if they live in a large city and must commute to school or some situation like that. Safety and business. But, why does a 12 year old need a cell phone to talk to THE 12 year old FRIEND WHO IS WOBBLING ON THEIR SKANKY HIGH HEELS BESIDE THEM?

5. Why are kids allowed to wear such ridiculous get ups, complete with skin stretchy mini skirts and little strappy undershirts, black leggings and pink bras with the straps showing? What message are we giving to these children that dressing like a whore is acceptable.............?? It's beyond me.

6. Why does someone need 25 sweaters? Or every Ninetendo game out there? How come SO many people can afford those game systems? Where does all the plastic go when it has reached it's expiration date? Have we reached our consumerism limit? How much more waste can we generate?

Good thing I was only in the place for 15 minutes. I think my head would have popped off if I had stayed any longer.................


8 comments:

Bar L. said...

Excellent post - I agree on all counts. I don't get it either. I don't get the consumerism or the way a lot of people dress (or don't dress).

I love having a cell phone because it makes me feel connected to my son at all times and its a convenience, but I HATE talking on the damn thing unless I absolutely have to.

Robert said...

so true I thought jon benet ramsey showed the horror that can happen in making toddlers look like lil sex kittens. One thing i heard from a friend in canada sevaeral years ago though awareness... that canada made it legal for women to go topless in broad daylight yikes.... thanks so much for commenting on my blog :)

awareness said...

Hey Layla.....I too have a cellphone, though it's a work one.....and it does allow me to be accessible for my kids during the day when and if I'm on the road visiting families. It's a necessity......in that regard. I would think it's twice as important for you because you managing being a parent on your own.....

Hi Robert.......interesting you mention Jonbenet.....her beautiful little tragic face came to mind while I was writing it.

No topless ladies north of the border.......! One of those urban myths, I think. At least, I havent seen any ever.......except at a nude beach years ago....and I have a feeling there are nude beaches in the States too.

It's too darn cold half of the year for any sane woman to prance around without a top on... :)

The House on Big Island said...

Perhaps even more disturbing - Celebrity(ism) - the ultimate extension of consumerism!

How do we expect youngsters to dress or appear when we elevate the Paris Hiltons and Nicole Ritchies of the world to HERO status? When we shower them with television and news coverage befitting a saint?

Have you ever watched the morning or evening news shows in Canada. CTV has become a joke. Over half of the evening news is dedicated to "entertainment" and Canada AM has deteriorated into a 3 hour "ET". Watching Seamus O'Regan or Beverly Thompson shaking with delight when a "B" level movie star gets near their set, sets a new standard for vacuity. They embody superficiality.

And we casually expose our children to this "movie magazine" worship mentality with little concern for the collective response. They no longer go to church, they no longer get involved in team sports, they no longer go to cubs or brownies - so the grounding influences on their lives are MTV, video games and Paris Hilton.

...and they dress accordingly.

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Great post.

I imagine they are motivated by so many factors: people who think they are getting a good deal, people who are addicted to excitement, fast action.

Personally, I stay away these days. I shop enough during the year anyway.

Wishing you a wonderful 2007.

Sunny said...

It's things exactly like the hussy uniform and such that you describe that made my husband start his blog!
We've been saying this for a long time. My kids will NEVER go to the mall dressed like that. Who buys the clothes for these little "sho-whores"? The parents that's who!!!! What are they thinking? Also if I ever catch my kids parading around like that in the mall, half clothed acting like an idiot, heaven help them because if they don't die of pneumonia I'll kill them myself!! LOL!!!!
You will not see me walking around in the mall any time soon. It is crazy in there. Why do people go shopping right after Christmas anyway? By the time Christmas rolls around I'm so sick of shopping and the malls that I'd be happy to never have to enter one again. Idiots. The world is full of idiots.

urbanmonk said...

Ah.. A woman after my own heart. Good to see your catching the cynicism and disgust.

Globalisation has a lot to answer for.. Maybe we should all move to Lybia where.. shock horror... people still buy their bread from local markets, not mass produced multi nationals.

awareness said...

Daisy......just happened to catch (from the corner of my eye) an interview with the BRILLIANT Paris on Regis and whatshername the other day. I overheard Paris waxing poetic about stay at home moms.......WTF? was my response (in my head of course). It boggles my mind how much celebrityism has taken over the airwaves. It's disgusting.......and it does definately feed the tweenies and teenies out there......the pouty fish look is a direct take from the Kate Moss icons of the world....
Personally, I think there should be a law enforcing the ban of combined cutesy celebrity names.... obviously we're in the minority because these shows and these people are revered.

Hi Barbara.....good points. I do believe there are many people addicted to shopping and materialism.......feeding a spiritual void perhaps? I don't really know.

Sunny......when I happen to be at the mall with my daughter (who somehow got the fashion/shopping gene from someone in my extended family) I always point out the inappropriately dressed tarts (who are her age for the most part) and not too quietly I might add :) It's working, because she has opted for a funky/preppy/flowy scarf look which suits her beautifully.

Hey Monk!! You know........I KNEW you'd like this post....!! I thought of you when I wrote it. :) My weekly routine includes shopping at the local farmer's market year round in order to support the local fare as much as I can. Cheers to you!!