Sunday, December 31, 2006

a little fluff in the navel..................





The last day of the year............the last Sunday of the year. It leaves me bewildered as to how all of a sudden another one has tumbled by. 2007? Does that not sound futuristic? Ah.........it's just a number.

For many, Christmas is nerve jangling. I find New Year's Eve more rattling, and completely overblown. I could never get my head around the idea of donning my party dress and heading out to a ballroom to listen to some local band, and to merrily toast in a new beginning. It still seems so phoney to me............all kissy kissy with strangers. ick.

My idea of ringing in the new year has to include a time to navel gaze..............a backcrawl swim through the past 12 months, with a bit of floaty ruminating time on the blow up mattress sipping umbrella drinks..........it helps clean out the fluff in the navel.

Another way of looking at it? A closet cleaning that produces three piles........toss, keep and sell at the spring garage sale. Either way......................a recognition of life lived in 2006.

Since its not the time of year in this part of the world to take a floaty ride down the river in one's bathing suit, instead, I bundled up in layers of fleece, pulled on my big parka and new red boots, called for the dog and headed up to the fields near my home to go for a bracing walk. Blustery, wind sweeping, head clearing..........................BEAUTIFUL SUNNY Sunday walk up the hill to enjoy the sweeping vista of the river valley.

(I took my new camera and will try to post some photos later when I learn how to do it......some are stunning!!!)

I often find that when I'm out for a brisk walk, music fills my head like a soundtrack to my thoughts. When I left initially, my thoughts were embraced by the song on Pip's blog........ What if God was one of us? ..........a hauntingly beautiful song which admittedly has been with me the first moment I heard it........Yeah, yeah, God is good............ As I continued up the hill, the music changed and I found the wind bringing a choral orchestra of hallelujah joyous music harmoniously sung from the heart of a cathedral. I did, I really did hear it........................

And I thought.........................why this music? What does it tell me.................how does it fit with my ruminations and navel gazing? It does I realized, because I have shed off the layers of fatigue and frustrations of 2006 and have been left with the sweet clotted cream to savour. Blessings. My week of being home surrounded by my family and my friends, enjoying the time of year together have shored me up and have allowed me to shed the fluff in the navel.

Clarity, energy, hope, renewal, gratitude, humility, grace.

It has left me with with clear pictures of thanksgiving, and one word which could sum it up thematically...................connections. I can't capture all of the moments special to me this year, so I will try to deliver a few snapshots triggered spontaneously as I write.

A warm sunny blustery day on Prince Edward Island when the waves were strong and high enough to body surf with glee. 3 families and our dog............a weekend reunion which only happens one time a year............ this one was particularly memorable.

Canada Day night in Spencer's Island Nova Scotia sitting up on a cliff overlooking the Bay of Fundy with good friends around a bonfire.........clear starry summer sky, tidal breezes................down below a small group of camper trailers enjoying their own bonfires........... when all of a sudden, we are treated to a fireworks display, which is more impressive than any formally orchestrated event. Loved it!!

Last May, I walked into a foyer of a non-descript hotel nervous about attending a camp reunion. Wondering if my mega high expectations will ever be met, wondering how I will find my dearest friend from camp. Not a second slips by before I hear my name yelled out..................."Muskie! I need your help!! They have screwed up my reservation!" The voice was SOOOOOOOO familiar and the request for help, well...................familiar too.....................so much so that I didn't realize how quickly I jumped back into my role all the while hugging and crying with my friend whom I hadn't set eyes on in over 20 years. We hadn't even spoken. It was the beginning of a serendipitously delicious weekend of joy in all it's elements.

Connections.........................with my colleagues and clients, with family near and far, with friends new and old, with my community, with my husband and children............connections.

This year, my connections reached far and wide around the globe all because of a little thing called the internet (many thanks to Al Gore........such a genius).

From Melbourne (hi Monk who's already living in 2007) to London (hugs to you Pip, you gem) to California (Hey Mike, Barbara and Layla) to Georgia (where are you Ellen? Hi there Arlen) to Kingston (Daisy! Can you put a tune to my song from yesterday?) to Oregon (Deborah, love your poetry) to Paris (Tara.........your photos amaze me) to Montreal (K, my political/baseball friend) and to an island I want to visit, Guernsey (Katie, you dancing to Sinatra? Paul, I miss you.........where are you?) and of course downriver, with a quick stop in Burton and .................all the way to the Bay of Fundy (Hey CS.) ................. and all stops in between.....................AMAZING!!!!! To think I didn't know any of you this time last year. Your thoughts and comments and emails have been the most wonderful boost, the most fabulous gifts a writer could ever ask for.

Oh.................and my local blog buds..........Sunny, Mr. Mad Mac with a romantic heart (who knew?), and a Princess who is out there caring like mad. Sometimes you're just across the street, sometimes it feels like the street is a mile wide, but I always feel connected to you through the blogosphere.......................how crazy is that?? :)

What if God was one of us?

Just a slob like one of us..................trying to make his way home................... like a holy rolling stone.........................yeah, yeah



Happy New Year...................... time to pour some pink bubbly..........I love champagne. Time to kick in the new year with some guitar riffs and dancing tunes........................and a whole lot of love. Think I'll don my sexy little black dress and whoop it up..............yeah.

Sing it loudly!

11 comments:

paris parfait said...

Wonderful post, full of insight and wisdom. And yes, the Internet is a wonderful thing. Thanks for the nod and for your lovely comments on my blog. I'm a writer, not a photographer - it's just there's a lot of beauty around to photograph w/ my trusty little Konica Minolta digital. I'm so glad our paths have crossed! Happy, happy 2007! xo

Michael K. Althouse said...

Happy New Year, Dana!

Your post made me a little misty-eyed, no small deal for this battle-hardened warrior. I feel as you do. I will actually miss 2006 - it was a very good year. Although I have received many blessings this past year - I have by no means used them all up, for they are limitless. Next year is not really a new beginning or a fresh start, but rather a continuation of what the last two years have meant.

And to think our connection was the result of the single flap of a butterfly's wings! Indeed, what if God were one of us - what if God were ALL of us? I don't believe in coincidence or accident, and my faith in work has been revived. And you have, my friend, have been present for much of it.

Although I will not be celebrating with Champaign, I will be surrounded by hundreds of friends that will be doing likewise - dancing to the music and ringing in the new...

Sunny said...

Happy New Year!!! Frankly I am glad that 2006 is finally over. It has been a year of terrible events, but peppered with wonderful, caring moments. I really felt how much much friends really care about me and how much I really care about them, I was able to meet my "hopefully future sister in law" who is amazing and a great addition to our disfunctional family. My work has had it's challenges but they haven't all been negative. I have been able to reach out to others and forge deep relationships so it is all worth it.
So as Mr. Althouse says, 2007 will be an extension of 2006 except for me it will be a year with a stronger me. I have decided to focus my time on my friends, my family and my painting. This summer I will spend time at the cottage as much as possible and hope that you and your family might be able to swing by for a swim, BBQ and some fun around the campfire. I am so looking forward to looking forward.

awareness said...

Hi Tara.........your words and poetry are always thought provoking.....your words are what struck me first when I stumbled across your blog last summer. Whether it is a journalist editorial on a world event or a pure haiku......I'm always left feeling a sense of respect for your talents. As for your photos......from the stunning religious icons of Spain to the antiquities you find in your travels to the beautiful Christmas store windows..........my travel bug and my desire to pursue photography again gets sparked!!!

Hi Mike........ah....makes me smile knowing I touched a soft spot!! :)
Who knows where our writing paths will take us in 2007......? I love a good mystery!!

Sunny........looking forward to looking forward......I like that. My family and I would love to hang out toasting marshmallows with you guys next summer. It's a date. Tell the kids I know LOTS of campfire songs!!!
I also want to see your recent painting pursuits!! Maybe you could set up a "showing" in the Resource Centre??

kenju said...

Hi, Awareness, I saw your name at Michele's and thought I'd come over and wish you a happy New Year and to tell you welcome to Michele's world - and ours. Now that you know where she is, you will love playing Michele's games, so come back soon.

I love your post (and a few of the others), and I'll be back.

Bar L. said...

Dana,
Happy New Year and what a wonderful post. Thanks for including me on your list of friends from around the world....it really is a small place here on the Internet.

Much peace and joy to you,
Barbara and Layla

(you do know I am one person with 2 names right? Your blog won't allow me to use my Barbara blog)

Rainbow dreams said...

Pink Champagne - Lets share a bottle... :)

hope you had a lovely evening and the year brings yet more connections and much love and happiness.

What if God were one of us... I think he is - very much alive in all of us.
The internet certainly brings people together and allows connections that wouldn't otherwise happen.
If you ever do find your way over to Guernsey please let me know.

Thank you for popping by my way this year - it's been wonderful getting to know you via this blog, I'm not a writer or a photographer - in fact I feel like an imposter amongst those who write so eloquently - a bit like the one doodling in the corner of the art class who occasionally chips in...

2006 was the catalyst for change here, a new job, new beginnings, 2007 will see where this new road leads.

Happy, happy New Year, raises glass to yours, Katie

awareness said...

welcome Meliss....yes it was a verbal ramble.......like my walk. Thanks for visiting and I'm thrilled to have you link me to your site.

Hi Colleen...welcome. I will check your site out soon.

Layla/Barbara.....yes I know you are one in the same...... :) The Barbara I'm refering to in my post writes "Women on the Verge of Thinking" You're both from Calif.

Welcome Kenju.......I will check out your blog and Michele's again as well.........thanks for you comments.

Katie........can I take a raincheck on the champagne?? I think I had a wee bit too much last night. The only activity I have managed to accomplish today was to read an update on the life of Adrian Mole!! No words are flowing today.....

But my...........it was FUN!!

Robert said...

very good way to bring in the new dana!!! You have a nice flair for expression in many different fashions. if you ever come to oregon i will put on some michael buble pop some bubbly and you can wear that lil black dress lol here's to a joyful.adventurous 2007!!!

The House on Big Island said...

Gee Muskie, I don't know if I could do your words justice! But.... I'll get out that old guitar and give it my all.

I will miss 2006, just as I miss the 52 years that went before it. Good, bad, highs, lows, all combining to forge a life that I am starting to understand a little bit better and one for which I continue to be thankful. I just hope 2007 will be as long!

I am thankful for your words which provide a constant reminder of the fact that we share this world with many in need. After all, Awareness inspires action and action leads to results.

Hopefully I'll see you again in 2007 - if Trick gets her way, it might be on a golf course somewhere - at a resurrected Kawabi Open!

awareness said...

Hi Robert! Thanks for dropping by! Happy New year to you too. :)

Hi Daisy.......given that I KNOW and HEARD the beautiful song you wrote last spring for the camp reunion, and given your penchant for guitar strumming.......I have all faith in you :)

Perhaps when we tee off at the Kawabi Open next fall (hope Trick knows all the rules with respect to spirits along the fairways.....) I could hear the song then?

Happy new year........our paths will cross I'm sure.....if not at the Open, then maybe down by the canoe racks.