Friday, December 29, 2006

attachment



“We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit.”

ee cummings


I was wondering lately about the concept of attachment. It seems that most of what I've read rings with negative vibes. If one attaches to iconic beliefs, one sees the world through a myopic filter. In order to find self, one has to detach. To many, it seems that the idea of attachment reflects a leech-like one sided existance......of dependence and blindness.....of selfish need fulfillment. This surprised me. I hadn't looked at the meaning of attachment in this way. Rather, my thoughts led me in the opposite direction.

Sure, we become attached to material possessions. How many times do we say or hear......" I can't live without my....................." Yes, we can easily become dependent on a belief system that lacks the fluid opportunities to question and challenge it. It's easier to swallow a message from the Bible whole rather than find the confidence to boldly question it. Relationships too can become one-sided, when needs of one consistently far outweigh the needs of another or when one person in the relationship displays control tactics in a power play. We all struggle with these unhealthy attachments as we figure out a way to balance and fairness. It's all part of life's learning....life's journey.

I want to look at attachment in a healthier sense because to me, it represents fellowship and belonging. Healthy attachments reflect mutual affection........an affinity of like minds. Healthy attachments can offer new insights of who we are, and how we are perceived and what our value is to this world. Possibly producing snippets of self- revelation. It is a bonding between two individuals or a connection to a place of worship, or to a community that allows one to find the confidence to show a vulnerable side. It allows one to feel an open-hearted sense of being able to show true colours thereby feeling accepted no matter what. The strings of attachment, when the feelings of affinity flow back and forth, are wrapped in acceptance and self-confidence. We are then able to strive for personal independence. Affirmation and attachment are the foundation to build on our independence. WE need love and belonging as much as we need air to breathe.



There are times when the balance of a friendship tips.............personal circumstances pull on the strings in one way. Need for reassurance, need for more understanding, more commitment, more attention puts pressure on the relationship. It alters the role each person may have assumed in the attachment. Sometimes it's difficult to know how to help or to know how to ask for help. It may be new territory, especially if the friendship is newly forming, or if the needs are deep.

Questions from both parties can arise...........on both sides of the attachment............felt stronger when there is a unique sense of kindredness one doesn't find just anywhere.........
  • What does this person want from me?
  • How can I reach out to help this person without being misperceived?
  • How can I explain my pain and anguish to another when I can't even describe it to myself?
  • Why is this person reaching out to me when I have nothing to give in return?
  • Is there an underlying reason why this person would want to help me?
  • How worthy am I?
  • Are there strings attached to this person's desire to help me?

When it comes to connecting with new people in our lives, we are often untrusting beings arent we? Unconditional acceptance is a foreign entity in our lives, expecially if one has been burned before by someone who at face value seemed to be offering an open heart but then trumped you with a different agenda. And, yet unconditional acceptance, where harsh judgement plays no role, does exist between two people. It's a hard climb to make.............but well worth it because these types of attachments............this kinship is the most satisfyingly rich than any other.

Vulnerability, self-doubt, pain and confusion can easily block the questions from being posed. However, if the attachment is based on mutual admiration, on desire to give and take, on the awareness that the friendship can offer both enlightenment and personal growth, the questions need to be asked..................and answered.......................feeding the depth of affinity and feeding confidence in the reliability of the other person.

All relationships shift, all friendships breathe Commitment to making it work, to wanting to learn more about ourselves, desire to giving and receiving, and the expression of words allow attachments to flourish. Both parties must see the gift, and must want to take the risk to learn to trust to make it work.

No one likes to feel like a misfit. No one wants to feel lonely. We do want to be understood, accepted, loved, nutured.............no matter how large the scars are. We all need unconditional love provided through healthy attachments to thrive to feel alive. It's very real...........

8 comments:

JP (mom) said...

Dearest Dana,

What a profoundly beautiful and wise piece you've written here my dear ... you've managed to really connect the concept of attachment as it relates to the development of self, why attachments are important, what are healthy attachments and how they can help us grow and develop as self-aware, connected, loving people. I hope you won't mind, but I'm going to link your piece in my next post as I think many can benefit from the words you have written.
Much love and peace, Deborah

awareness said...

Thank you Deborah. It's funny because I was thinking about a particular "attachment" when I wrote it, and yet I think I managed to make it general enough for it to stand alone. Your feedback has been helpful in showing me that I may have succeed...... :)

Bar L. said...

This is so good, I am going to link to it today. Very wise insight.

BJ said...

And yet unconditional love and care is not impossible. Humanly, yes, but that doesn't mean it cannot be experienced. I love the idea of the positivity of attachment as I, like you, have heard attachment uttered with other words like "dependency" and "enabling". I want to be attached to someone someday that is beautiful and healthy and that stems out of my depth of love and care for her benefit. And most of all I want to be attached to my Lord. Bless you.

Rainbow dreams said...

This is a great post Dana, we always question unconditional acceptance don't we, and yet as hard as it is to believe, it does happen.... Well I'm always amazed when it does!
Happy New Year

awareness said...

Hey Layla........thank you so much. I'm happy it resonated with you. My "insight" was gained writing the piece. One of those times when the more I kept writing, the more I unravelled my own thinking to understand...........it was a learning process.

bj...welcome. The key is to maintain balance, even with our Lord....that's how I see it. It's a soft tiptoe line we tread to be able to maintain that in any relationship......ask for too much and the other feels smothered, and visa versa.

Unconditional love and acceptance, the kind of deep feelings I can only really capture in my heart when I think of the spiritual feeling and bond I felt when my children were born....when our hearts are open, trusting and able to receive and give........that's what I would like to be able to hold onto in other special relationships important to me.

Hi Katie........Happy New Year to you and your family!!! I'm always amazed when it happens too...and have this strong urge to hold on too tight sometimes because it feels SO GOOD! Not the way to handle it unfortunately. In fact, I may have "blown" it lately doing just that with a kindred, which often is perceived in a way that may be completely different than it was meant to be. I hope not.........I'm feeling many things about it right now...hence the post.

I was also thinking about the many many people who struggle over the holidays with loneliness. It breaks my heart to think there are so many out there suffering because they do not have healthy attachments to others who can provide unconditional acceptance.

Humanity is a complicated road....

Robert said...

dana.... very good thoughts!!!! I think you point out ways we develop healthy attachments spiritually in a way maslow could not say from a strictly humanistic paradigm. It is always amazing when you learn more as you write isn't it??? Here is wishing you a happy new year and many more writings to follow!!

Shaz said...

WoW
WoW
WoW
What Beautiful writing and understanding came from Deb and she was right as usual it fantastic. Il be back :)