Thursday, December 14, 2006

happy tired.


Late night quiet and sleepy.
I'm happy tired.
Content as I reflect on my busy day.
Sure there were many mini frustrations.
I'm not focusing on those.
They have been filtered out.
Sand though my hands.
What's left are the shells.
Tiny perfect wave worn ocean jewels.
All representing the connections that were made.
Today..........making me happy tired.

A father who was distraught over his daughter's safety and future as she continues to fight piercing demons in her head. He needed to share his grave and real concerns. Over the phone, miles away from one another we talked.
His daughter inflicts pain on herself and others. But, she's now temporarily in a special care home.

Safe for the time being. He can sleep tonight without such deep worries.

I asked him how his daughter's illness affects him. He tells me about his beliefs. We talk about church and community and family and support. We talk about Christmas. He shares a few stories of suicide attempts of assaults, of his daughter being taken advantage of by evil people. Like any parent, he wants to make the demons go away.
I tell him that I often meet with families who are living the same nightmare. I was able to let him know that I get it. I can't make it better, but I understood........feelings under the words. He's not alone. How lucky his daughter is to have such a strong compassionate person in her life. I assure him that he can call again......anytime.


A grown son and his mother. I met them in their home. We sat at the kitchen table. The cat was on my lap. Mom provided tea and cookies. I encouraged the son to tell me his story so that I could help him apply for a disability pension. Red cheeks, wet eyes, stumbling over stuck words, jumping from one thought to another, cursing his inability to explain his world to me.....that's how our conversation began. Frustration rushed to his blushed face.
He can't live alone. He can't find a job and keep it. His attention deficit disorder coupled with his anxiety have rendered him incapable of finding the words to describe what goes on in his uniquely wired brain. He has no filter..........bombarded with sensory overload, he can't focus on one task, on one thought, on learning how to make friends.
He told me that there are times when he is thinking about so many things at the same time that his brain feels like it is full of fizzy bubbles......zipping and zapping. He tries and tries and tries, but he never feels that he gets living his life right.

We sipped hot drinks.
The cat is a funny diversion.

From there, our three way conversation became lively and interactive.......asking, sharing, wondering, posing questions, stark answers, some laughter, a few tears..........engaged.


The red cheeks disappeared, as did the word stumbling. All of a sudden, the son is able to describe himself with confidence. The fizzy bubbles left his brain and he tells me he's better able to stop the word tripping because he knows I understand. What a difference I see! We talk and talk until it begins to get dark and I have to leave for home.........
As I was leaving, the Mom gave me a little bag filled with yummy dried apple rings sprinkled with cinammon and sugar she had made that day. For the ride home.

Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious.

I shared them with my kids while I told them about the son and his mom and how lucky I was to have met them.


Two of the many connections I have made today......... I wish I had the energy to share all of them with you.............. but I'm too happy tired.

Life is good. The lights are out.



No comments: