Sunday, December 10, 2006

signs

Our world is littered with signs......traffic, neon, billboards, storefronts, streets, artwork. Some give you directions, some offer a warning, some provide information. Some are just universal symbols that we are conditioned to understand. In theory, I could find myself in any airport around the world and I would have no trouble finding the woman's washroom, or an exit. We are constantly fighting a barrage.

Signs can encourage, demand, ask, shout, and point you to the right exit....or the wrong exit if you're not paying attention. That's what signs do............they trigger you to pay attention. We are inudated with sign messages.........buy, sell, trade, give, take, yield, stop, payhere, READ ME!!!

They all become a bit of a blur in our minds. We can walk down a familiar street and literally not register most sign messages. We can drive along taking in the speed limit, the stop and yield signs, but if we don't will ourselves to remain alert, we robotically obey them. It really has to be something provocative on a billboard to catch our undivided attention or we remain in a lemming state.......just following along, filtering out the noise. Too much of something overstimulates and then has the opposite effect.

It seems to me this Christmas season that one of the most predominant items in the stores, whether its at Dollarama, a high falootin' boutique, the local hardward store, or at a local craft fair you will find fancy scripty signs to hang up on the walls of your home. I see them everywhere. And everytime I spot them, I get annoyed. I have no idea if anyone else reacts to them the way I do...... these signs are supposed to be inspirational. They glow with messages like:

Dream

Hope

Believe

Relax

Dare

Live, love, laugh

Dance

Now that we're in the middle of the Christmas season, one tends to see freshly tole painted barn wood with lovely old fashioned fonts that say:

Rejoice

Ho Ho Ho

'Tis the Season

Blessings

So.................why is it that EVERY time I read one of these signs, my mind adds the word "dammit" to the statement?

Dream Dammit!

Dare Dammit!

Dance Dammit!

Ho Ho Ho Dammit!

Rejoice RIGHT NOW DAMMIT!

Believe or wither away in hopelessness dammit!

Could it be that these signs are dripping in insincerity? It boggles my mind. I guess I've never been very good at taking orders. I'm just one subversive little shit disturber who balks at control tactics.......... I'd never be a good soldier. And................... I can live with that.

Yesterday, I found myself in line to pay for my purchases. Unfortunately, I chose the inspirational yet demanding sign aisle..... Once again, I was triggered by the cutesy-ness curly scripted signs of false hope. Instead of dismissing it, I started thinking about how I could turn this little cottage industry on it's ear by creating another line of slogans to live by. My subversive mind kicked in as I formulated a plan, as I considered various options for effectively absurd signage in one's home.

The bedroom......................a few options............

Hibernate

Procreate

Fornicate

dammit..........

Actually there are many signs one could post in one's bedroom........I'll leave it to your imaginations.......

The bathroom

Exfoliate

Concentrate

Toe in grate.


The dining room

Masticate

Sit up straight

Cheese tastes great

The living room

Well I guess you could post a procreate sign there if you wanted to.

Above your computer

Illustrate

Formulate

Contemplate

Gee.....................the words of wisdom are endless aren't they? I mean really, if we just littered our little worlds with signs, we wouldn't have to think at all.............we could spend all our time masticating and formulating and postulating and fornicating (is that not the best word??).........and never have to think again. Lemmings one and all............

Gee, I think it's time to put up the sign on the front door..............

Think, don't blink.................

Now......................get out there and BELIEVE dammit!!

I wonder if I could get an ACOA grant for my new little cottage industry or did Prime Minister Harper cut that milking cow too?

Ooooooooooooo..............I think I took my sarcasm vitamins for breakie today.














1 comment:

The House on Big Island said...

"Signs, Signs everywhere the signs,
Blocking out the scenery - breaking my mind,
Do this, don't do that,
Can't you read the signs?"