Thursday, May 21, 2009

one of a kind signs



You always wondered where paradise was located didn't you? Spencer's Island, Nova Scotia is most definately a piece of paradise to this family. Once a thriving ship building community along the shores of Greville Bay, a part of the Bay of Fundy, this little village has been the ancestral home of my husband since 1778. The Old Shipyard campground is located right along the beach, where the tides flow out farther than anywhere else in the world........ You can almost see the beach growing before your eyes..... or shrinking depending on the time of day. And the view? Spectacular!

The most famous ship built in Spencer's Island was the Mary Celeste. The above placque, attached to a cairn right beside the boat launch (and where the old wharf used to be) describes it's ghostly fate when it was found off the coast of Portugal with its sails up and no one aboard. This spooky story is best told after the sun has gone down on the Old Shipyard, sitting around a glowing campfire toasting marshmallows and the only lights are the flickering ones of the ships out in the bay..... For more on the Mary Celeste, check this out...

This week's photo theme is "signs"......Wanna see more? I invite you to visit Carmi's blog


4 comments:

Marja said...

Great sign and I love scary stories around the campfire

Pamela said...

I read that story just recently on another blog!

Hey... there's a Paradise in California, too! My brother lives there.

awareness said...

marja...especially when they are true!

Pamela...how cool is that? I always forget how famous the story of the Mary Celeste is.

Glennis said...

Ooooh, I remember reading about the Mary Celeste when I was little and it scared me!! Great to be reminded of it - shivery!!

I love the sign at the top. Great entry in the theme.