Saturday, May 17, 2008

a way......

I was a pilgrim on Thursday, though I wasn't aware of it until I walked through the large open doors, stood at the back and looked up and beyond. A pilgrim..................tiny, weary..........receiving a feast of the senses. It was a journey to get there, made much more emotionally intense over the past week. It also felt very much like a part of my own journey as I recognized it as a signpost while I tried my best to absorb the historical meanings of this hallowed place. This is Canterbury Cathedral.

It was stunning and enormous............in size, shape and spirit. I felt like a sponge with thirsty pores soaking it all in.......


The Cathedral seemed to go on and on with it's cloistered alcoves and quiet altars tucking into the recesses waiting to be discovered by a curious thirsty pilgrim. There were special spots where the air changed around me. It felt much thinner, with a touch of earthy essence -- an aroma welcoming me to kneel in silence. -- altar of the innocences, Mary Magdalene, Gabriel, St. Augustine. I felt important people in my life all around me, thinking at one point that I was going to hear my grandmother's voice calling me over to look at one of the marble made custom tombs that had caught her eye.



I took my time............the wandering totally accepted as a possible means of figuring it out on my own...............through a majestic labyrinth where God dwells. "I will praise You as long as I live and in Your name, I will lift up my hands....."

Yesterday, I soaked in some soulfood during my circuitous steps and in the end, I sat down in the middle of this glorious place beside a smiling friend in silence. It was a real "in the moment" experience which I have loved sharing with Pip and Joan...............a renewal of a steadfast spirit with me.

Everything is possible.

6 comments:

Baby-Sweet-Pea said...

All I can say to this is WOW.

Under there... said...

I am a postulant for Holy Orders in one of the provinces of the Amglican Communion. I have been on the road to Canterbury for a long time, but still have not arrived. I feel like I am watching a fellow mountain climber who has finally scaled the summit of Everest. I both rejoice with you and I confess to a touch of envy ( As we weould say in our tradition: Lord have mercy). I am delighted for you. Wonderful, wonderful photos. My Bishop will be there in Canterbury at the Lambeth Conference in a few weeks.

Karen said...

What a breathtaking moment.....

Rainbow dreams said...

A really blessed moment...
am so pleased you had such a wonderful time.

awareness said...

Baby SP........my sentiments exactly. It was a big WOW

Tim....interestingly, Canterbury wasn't a place i had put much thought into until i booked this trip though it was a place my grandmother had spoken of in the past.......have favourite cathedral. Once I had it in my head, it became an important destination for me. I was really pleased to have been there with Pip and Joan.
I hope one day you'll be able to walk through the big wooden doors and stand where I stood for the first view of this amazing place of worship.

gypsy.......it was an afternoon of soaking it all in. I was in no rush and was able to amble on my own.

Katie.......this whole week has been one blessed moment after another.

Al Diaz said...

WOW!!!

Ilumine Ao,
Al Diaz
www.thetitusconcept.com
http://ilumine-ao.blogspot.com