Monday, October 15, 2007

Restorative action





Dateline: Today, around noon.
Location: The old train station, McAdam New Brunswick
Purpose of visit: I'm nosey. I had my camera. I was early for an appointment with a client, so decided to take a lookseeeeeeee because my friend, scrapbooker and blogger named Princess (oh did I mention she teaches pole dancing too?? Gotta love a Scrapbooking pole dancing Princess.....) suggested I'd enjoy a lookseeeeee. However, she suggested this earlier in the fall when it was open for touristas, so I didn't expect an opportunity to get inside. Luck was on my side today, my friend......... I met a gentleman who has dedicated his retirement to restoring the grand old Dame. He invited me in and gave me a grand tour....... AND a history lesson.























The McAdam train station was built in 1900. For 80+ years, it was considered the "gateway stop" into the Maritimes. Trains via Quebec and Maine travelled in from the west, always stopping in McAdam before veering off to northern New Brunswick, Saint John, Moncton, St. Andrews, some eventually leading to Nova Scotia.


This station was unique for many reasons. First of all, it made this little town famous. Since it became defunct, the village has lost any lustre it once had. In fact, today in my opinion, McAdam is one step away from someone simply turning off the lights and walking away. It's one of the saddest destinations. The only company is a small gypsom plant. Most people who are able to work have left for greener pastures. Retired folk and people scraping by on welfare are the predominant groups left to figure it out. Poverty is a way of life here. There are many people living on "the other side of the tracks" more than the affluent side.
Though there are many villages throughout this province who have seen better days. Resource based economies breed this swing in employment rates. It's the nature of the beast. Some can be restored......they can come back to life with a strong group of visionaries, while others just keep missing the right ingredient to turn things around. McAdam feels that way to me. To restore this beautiful building and turn it into a destination which brings business into the area may be the start of something hopeful.


















Secondly, the structure is unique. Built under the direction of William Cornelius Van Horne, the railway magnate who owned a summer estate on an island off the coast of Saint Andrews, the McAdam Railway station grew to include an 8 room 5 star hotel, a fine dining area, a ballroom and a lunch room. At this point in history, many trains came through this area, and many passengers coming from all parts of Canada and the United States. Van Horne, who entertained lavishly at his summer estate, didn't want his "friends" to wait without the luxury they were accustomed to. So, he paid for the added features of this train station. It was also the Customs stop for the Canada/US border.
Gradually the train station's amenities closed up until the very last nail in the coffin came in 1994.........that was when the last train came through. Various attempts to use it for offices etc lasted for short bits.........there was no need for office space in a village that was losing all of it's economy bit by bit. Eventually, the station closed down.



A small group of local people who grew up in the area, and who had strong emotional and familial ties to this grand place decided to do something about. They are trying to turn it into a functional place.............a destination that can be used for various functions. One room at a time.....it's a painful process, but it is one done with love and respect. These wonderful people are thinking BIG and thinking LONG TERM. They are commited to try to turn this place around. And if they can, perhaps the poverty which fills the grey clouded air will float away. One really good business plan can lead to others being established. It can happen. It has in other places, why not here?

It's a huge dream.........one that this province needs to pay attention to. We need to support and promote this small group of people who have given up their retirement tee times to restore their beautiful train station. Meetings, receptions, conferences, dining experiences......all within the walls of a restored building reminiscent of the early 1900's.........Why not?

I saw the whole building........went into the old rooms which once used to be luxurious by the standards of those days. Chipped paint, chunks of ceiling gone........haphazard walls have been put up. I saw the old library, and the annex where the staff lived. It all needs to be renovated. Good thing there are some who have that marvellous vision.

thanks Princess! I'm glad you suggested that I stop in there.



5 comments:

Marja said...

What a great, interesting story. I hope they succeed in restoring this beautiful building. I love the windows. Cornelius van Horne sounds very Dutch to me. Have a nice day.

awareness said...

marja. I think Van Horne's ancestry was Dutch. His family immigrated to the United States before he was born. He was born in Illinois, but was ended up in Canada making a huge impact on our national Railway system.

The House on Big Island said...

Yes...a beautiful and amazing place and story.

It resonates with me in a very special way - history is my first love! Perhaps because within it hide the great stories of real people - stories that I love to read, to hear and to tell.

The restoration of such a fantastic place - a library of such stories - would be amazing!

Phew - another place on my list of "must visits"!

Karen said...

Geez I bet it was beautiful in it's hey day and it still shows a lot of promise. Lets hope these visionaries not only succeed in bringing it back to its former glory, but that it can bring back good fortune to this forgotten town and its inhabitants.

awareness said...

hey daisy!! I love learning about the history of an area....especially the people stories. Van Horne was a really interesting character....I read quite a bit about him last night...mover and shaker who more or less made St. Andrews a destination.

I asked the man who gave me the tour about whether or not someone had done a social historical thesis on the place.....and I guess there are conversations/interviews at the archives of some of the people who worked there in it's heyday.

gypsy....I hope they can do something. So many other things have been tried with no luck. it's quite sad.......it was nice to meet someone with such a vision for the place. you just never know.